Battery for hot wire - electric fence

Help Support CattleToday:

Dusty Britches

Reaction score
Just a quick question - I currently use full size marine 12 volt batteries for my hot wire. I was wondering if smaller ATV - lawn mower type batteries would be cost effective? I generally run these batteries down pretty low before I recharge them.

Just a quick question - I currently use full size marine 12 volt batteries for my hot wire. I was wondering if smaller ATV - lawn mower type batteries would be cost effective? I generally run these batteries down pretty low before I recharge them.
That's what I'm using now. They're cheaper for sure but you'll need to recharge in 1/2 to 1/3 the time. Much easier to lug around too. You can usually find a special at O'Reilly's

We have several solar fencers. They work very well. Have changed out a few batteries. They seem to last about 3 years continuous use.

Would one of the solar chargers be an option?

We have several solar fencers. They work very well. Have changed out a few batteries. They seem to last about 3 years continuous use.

These chargers work very well and are dual AC/DC. To buy a solar charger just for the battery doesn't resolve the problem of having to replace the battery. These batteries about about 4-5 years old. Charging them isn't the issue - it's replacing them.

Draining batteries to low before charging shortens their life.

I just put a fencer set up together with a panel and change controller so I don't have to worry about checking and swapping batteries. I need to get some more wire strung but so far it's working good.

To buy a solar charger just for the battery doesn't resolve the problem of having to replace the battery. These batteries about about 4-5 years old. Charging them isn't the issue - it's replacing them.
Small solar charged batteries last longer than AC charged marine batteries for me. The cost of small solar charged batteries is also less. So I would convert any remote semi permanent set up to solar.

I would not consider consider small AC charged lawn tractor batteries unless the fencer is right in the yard.

Lawn tractor batteries are a bad idea to use on a electric fence. They are designed as a starting battery .starting batteries and deep cycle batteries are designed and built different and function differently.starting batteries are designed for short duration high amp use. Deep cycle batteries are designed for low amp use over long periods of time.using starting batteries for deep cycle use will result in premature failure. They do make smaller deep cycle batteries for electric fence use such as a ub1270.
Another thing to be carefull of is not to let your batteries get to low before you recharge them The newer automotive style battery chargers now have a built in safety(idiot) switch so if you hook them up backwards or if they are too discharged the charger will not kick on to charge them.
One work around is to conect the discharged battery to a fully charged battery via jumper cables. then attach the charger to the charged battery .the fully charged battery will have enough volts and amps to allow the charger to begin to charge many deepcycle batteries are changed out prematurely because the have been discharged to the point tnat they dont have enough volts or amps to allow the battery chargers to kick on and charge them.

RMC - thank you. That's the answer I needed.

Shoestring - I run dual wire about 600 yards ( 1200 total linear yards) and my 12 v marine batteries last about 4 months per charge. Shorter distances tend to last longer. Keeping the grass and weeds off the line helps a bunch.

I have built a couple of solar 12 volt chargers using 12volt 7AH SLA batteries wired parallel. I also use an inexpensive charge controller to keep the batteries charged properly. One has been in use on a 2 mile fence for over 3 years and the batteries still maintains a full charge. I think the controller is the key ingredient. I use either a 10 or 20 watt solar panel. I built wooden boxes to house the electronics and the panel fits on top. A 2x2 square tube is attached so it fits on a t-post. A bit heavy to move but it is possible. I've considered using a plastic container with a lid for my next one.

I've had no luck with the built in solar panel chargers . Not much charge and they don't last . We use the marine deep cycling batteries with a solar panel to recharge them . Last 4-5 years on average. Did lose a battery this summer to a lightning strike. Cattle respect the wire and you don't want to get in it yourself !

I had a solar one where i would have to charge battery every month from new. Thought it was a heap of crap. Did put out 8000v fully charged and you could hear the crack when something touched it from 100 meters away. After 10 years the battery was well and truly dead and i always believed the battery was at fault. New battery and still needed monthly charge. So one day i tore it to pieces and did some testing. Turns out some drongo hooked the solar panel up the wrong polarity. Regulator was toast but panel still putting out 18v. I wired in a new cheap regulator and bob's your uncle, been working non stop just from solar charge for 18 months now.

I use 20 buck lawnmower batteries with this .

Attachments

• CFB76F18-FBD0-45B7-9D05-7C88CCA839CE.png
    CFB76F18-FBD0-45B7-9D05-7C88CCA839CE.png
    976.3 KB · Views: 14
The newer automotive style battery chargers now have a built in safety(idiot) switch so if you hook them up backwards or if they are too discharged the charger will not kick on to charge them.

Mine puts up a message "please connect the charger clamps" if the battery is mostly discharged.

But, I have an older charger too and it will just go to work charging the same battery but takes longer than the new fangled one and it is not automatic shutoff.

I use old solar panels from remote gas metering stations 24ma output and run the cheap 12v sealed alarm batteries ( like the ones in your house alarm system) and they last for many years. Haven't had one fail me yet.

Latest posts