Batten Down The Hatches

Help Support CattleToday:

Workinonit Farm":ffvbatr5 said:
Herefordcross":ffvbatr5 said:
AFter you guys get done with the rain in TX take a ball bat and hit it up into VA/WV/PA.

Please send some this way! Today I had to finally break down and haul water from a friends pond in the next county over. The river that runs across from our place went dry over a week ago. The creek that runs through this place went dry about 3 weeks ago. I've had to put the cows up on "the hill" where the winter stockpile is as well as a small pond. My "lower" pastures are basically dead.

It seems that every time it has rained/showered in the last month and a half it skirted this area. Now in the next county north of here, where I work, they've been baling hay like crazy and everything is lush and green. Go figure.

Katherine

Look for it in about 4 days.

Workinonit Farm":1epyifh4 said:
Herefordcross":1epyifh4 said:
AFter you guys get done with the rain in TX take a ball bat and hit it up into VA/WV/PA.

It seems that every time it has rained/showered in the last month and a half it skirted this area. Now in the next county north of here, where I work, they've been baling hay like crazy and everything is lush and green. Go figure.

Katherine

That is what has been happening here, too. We finally got some rain Friday and Friday night (about a 1/4"), a sprinkling yesterday and rain last night (don't know how much, but have some fair sized puddles still! :D ), and a little more today. Hopefully, this means that the rest of you guys will also get some before long - I've got my fingers crossed and have said a special prayer! ;-)

warpaint":1ia2r2w4 said:
As of 9:00 am central time, the guru's have changed the projected landfall to Fla.

I don't think they know any more about where it will hit, if it does, than I do. As many of you will recall, I was sent within 30 miles of New Orleans last year after Katrina. The experts there say they are prepared this time.

Wouldn't it be great if it would stall in the Gulf, bringing the much needed rains, and then just wither and die offshore?

I bet every Hurricane we hear about at one time or another will be heading towards New Orleans, best Journalistic Buck per Minute of on air time.

Just thinking how calm everything is, 3 months into hurricane season and no big news stories on them. By this time last year we were already 6 names deeper into the ABC's with Katrina hitting.

Hope it stays mild for everyone down south!

Just caught the tail end of something that said Ernesto may have been downgraded to a tropical storm. Maybe someone can get some rain out of it and miss the damaging winds.

Chris

lets hope it does go down to a Tropical Storm, haveing seen the devistation Katrina done in NO last year, on a trip there, It would be a shame if all the work they have done and are doing was in vain.

Just checked the storm track again (7 PM our time)...5-day projected track has it running right up through central VA...Katherine, we all need some rain badly, but I'm thinking I'd better be careful what I wish for...

Gale Seddon":3clvd7lo said:
we all need some rain badly, but I'm thinking I'd better be careful what I wish for...

I hear you on that. However, if we do get a big old gully-washer, if nothing else, I'll at least have watering holes with water instead of dust.

If trees get knocked over, I'll have more firewood. (I try to make lemonade when handed lemons).

Yeah, Gale, I know. Now that I've said all this we'll get rain for 20 days straight.

Katherine

We had a small shower tonight, first in a long while, and the cows near the house looked very happy. Donkeys will probably enjoy mud wallows instead of dust bowls. My boots are ready.

D.R. Cattle":1jfm4bi8 said:
Workinonit Farm":1jfm4bi8 said:
Herefordcross":1jfm4bi8 said:

Please send some this way!
Katherine

Look for it in about 4 days.

Hallelujia!! It only took 3 days. It's here, it's finally here. Lovely beautiful rain.

Katherine

:lol: We too have had several days of a nice off and on
rain. Got about 1-2 inches. The calves were all basking in it,
chewing their cuds , flys hiding off somewhere, really enjoyed
it! :heart:

It's been raining and blowing all day here, no damage (yet!) except some tree limbs down and a couple of leaks in the kitchen (old house). About 3" in the rain gauge (don't know if that's accurate with the horizontal rain). Temperature is about 60. Some cows out grazing, others huddled under cedars. All the donkeys are quite unhappy in their shelters, especially the moms of the two foals (kind of like humans snowbound with small children!). I think the worst is over and it wasn't all that bad (hope saying that ain't the kiss of death).

Latest posts