Bareback riding tips and tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

MistyMorning

Reaction score
I need some suggestions on getting a horse and myself used to riding bareback. I have two horse, one mare I can ride anywhere, anytime bareback with just a halter. The other has not been ridden bareback and I am starting to do so with her. She is a bit more, well a handful sometimes even under saddle. So my tactic has been to just ride her real close to home, sit on her, let her graze, stuff like that, just get her used to it. Any thoughts, tips, tricks would be appreciated. :D

Get on and ride! Same as any training,you gotta do it.
Rode all over the country bareback,jumped,barrel raced,just rode..
Do not wear spurs.

As peg said 'get on and ride' . Sit loose and dangle your legs don't squeeze...unless you are jumping :shock: .

I forgot to say "Do not use the reins to balance yourself".. That's hard to do.. Look on utube at Stacy Westfall
She is what I wanted to be when I grew up..

MistyMorning":3h1c4thg said:
She is a bit more, well a handful sometimes even under saddle. So my tactic has been to just ride her real close to home, sit on her, let her graze, stuff like that, just get her used to it. Any thoughts, tips, tricks would be appreciated. :D

Sometimes advice received from the internet makes me gasp. You have a horse that can be a handful at times even under saddle, the advice given from unknowns a hundred mile away..... Ah just jump on and git-r-done, make sure you say hey guys watch this!

Do what you're doing be slow with it for a while, let her graze and move on her own, the horse can feel a fly on her back, the feel of your legs and other parts on her bare back are so much different then the feel of a saddle blanket, saddle and cinch. Use a bit so you have some control, use her mane or even a lead rope tied around neck so you have something to hold onto..... If your on her bareback and she becomes a handful good chance your coming off.... In my case, the older I get the harder the ground is. Take things slow and always finish on a good note... If she acts up don't just get off and walk away, she'll remember that.

You can also buy bareback pads, they have a lite cinch and a handle :D , that's what my wife will use on her more...... Let's just say another handful at times.

Good luck and be safe.

JMO,
Alan

who ever wrote to let you legs dangle is correct. Barback riding creates a stretch in your thigh that increases the strength of the riders' base-of-support (lower thigh, knee, upper calf) that you don't gain as fast from using stirrups. But make sure not try to ride as if you are using a saddle and tighten up your legs and instead of letting the legs just hang. When you feel a good burn in your thighs then you are doing it correct.

I almost forgot about this thread. Thanks guys for all the additional input. I'm also thinking winter will be even better for bareback, should I bite the dust it won't hurt as bad. :D

This is me on my 3 year old filly..
spinandslide-albums-pie++chincoteague+pony-picture92061-pieme2.JPG

I enjoy riding her bareback..but I will agree with Alan..caution is required..espc on a green/young or fractious animal..I trust this little horse 100%..you wont find my butt on another greenie bareback...

Start in an enclosed area..dont get a death grip on the horse's sides with your legs..but they shouldnt bounce like spagetti either..start slow..walk..then add a jog.

So, I have to say, it wasnt PLANNED..I live in flip flops when the weather hits 90 degrees..as the pics show..
spinandslide-albums-pie++chincoteague+pony-picture92065-pieshake2.JPG

spinandslide-albums-pie++chincoteague+pony-picture92062-piebow.JPG

and I decided this particular day, after working on her tricks, that I wanted to ride bareback on her..my flipflops kept slipping off, so I just took them off..;)

When I lived up north, we'd go trail riding and swimming with our horses alot..strip the horse's down, strip ourselves down to shorts and bathing suits and go swimming on hot days..lots of fun..one thing I do miss! :)

No worries with barefeet with bareback as no stirrups to catch feet in.

I agree with going slow. If you cannot handle her with a saddle on, then chances are you will come off without the saddle and I would be doing the utmost to make sure that doesn't happen.

depends on what you see as natural horsemanship.:)

I actually used positive based training with this filly's tricks, with a clicker..

I mold my techniques to the individual horse..Ive taken bits and pieces of afew people..Clinton Anderson, Chris Cox, Craig Cameron..and the ideas of an englishman called Henry Blake. He's not very well known, but I do like his way of communicating with horses..I wouldnt call it horse whispering..but it's the classic approach of "as little as possible, but as much as nesscary" if that makes sense?

Latest posts