Banvel/dicamba

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
Any chance of damaging native grass pasture at 2 pints to the acre ?

Edit
Restricted county so no 24-d can be sprayed

jedstivers":2bhmz0ti said:
What crops are in your area? If D can't be sprayed it's a good chance you don't need to be spraying dicamba.

Cotton mostly

Pasture gaurd seems to be a pretty good sub for 24d. Has no residual , it will sometimes burn the grass but the bounce back has always been good. We use it for broadleafs in pasture with prickly pear and we don't want soil residual

Freind of mine recommended cimarron plus and remedy, but the local store said remedy is on the restricted list after May 1.

Dicamba isn't supposed to volatilize.
Closest cotton is over 1/4 mile away and it's dicamba cotton.
I feel pretty safe spraying it but I don't want sacrifice the grass to kill the weeds.
I sprayed some before the wind got up, so I'll know in a few days

Just stock up on Remedy when you are in Texas. Not restricted here. The big ag chem dist will probably have best prices but should be able to get it at TSC, Atwood's and other farm stores.

Texas PaPaw":24j2vqok said:
Just stock up on Remedy when you are in Texas. Not restricted here. The big ag chem dist will probably have best prices but should be able to get it at TSC, Atwood's and other farm stores.

It's the 24-d in remedy that's the problem.
I was told dicamba won't volatilize.
After Jed's comment I did a search and he is correct it will gas up.
I didn't get much sprayed due the wind getting up.
The crops around are dicamba cotton and no other crops in the area, but I won't use it again.
I haven't found anything that'll stay put and not gas up

Cross-7":1dnyen46 said:
Texas PaPaw":1dnyen46 said:

The crops around are dicamba cotton and no other crops in the area, but I won't use it again.

No 2-4d in remedy. It's tryclopyr. Am not aware of significant drift hazard but haven't sprayed it within 1 mile of cotton. Would think with less than 10-12 mph wind, wouldn't move very far at all. If not comfortable with spraying Remedy near cotton, could go with 1 oz of Cimarron Plus alone. Have neighbor who does this and seems to get good weed control.

Texas PaPaw":1p8cr0ep said:
Cross-7":1p8cr0ep said:
Texas PaPaw":1p8cr0ep said:

No 2-4d in remedy. It's tryclopyr. Am not aware of significant drift hazard but haven't sprayed it within 1 mile of cotton. Would think with less than 10-12 mph wind, wouldn't move very far at all. If not comfortable with spraying Remedy near cotton, could go with 1 oz of Cimarron Plus alone. Have neighbor who does this and seems to get good weed control.

I didn't see 24-d on the label either, but I did see the restricted list and it's on there.
I've about decided I'm getting bad intel from the local guy though.
He sold me dicamba and told me it wouldn't volatilize and that was wrong.
Now I'm wondering why Remedy is on the restrcted list.
I wish the dicamba would stay put cause it already has the weeds I sprayed today looking sad.

I talked to a neighbor and he said this place was abused pretty bad during the drought and that's part of my problem.

I'm spraying brush every chance I get and will have the mulcher come back this fall.
Once I get the brush cleared I should have better luck cleaning it up.

Locals say you can run a cow to 8-10 acres but I'm at 5 acres to a cow.
I'm rotating pastures and not hurting anything. If anything I cant graze it enough, but it's drying out and it's been hot and windy so I may have to cut back before long.
I bought more cows than I need knowing I'd need to cull some and keep the better ones.

It's completely different than anything I've ever had so it's a learning experience.
Back home you just sprayed mesquite and tried to keep them from starving :D

jedstivers":2qqnfwxb said:
We've traced D damage 13 miles.

Care to elaborate on this? What size application was the source that drifted 13 miles? I've sprayed within 100 yards of cotton and never had any problems.

Years ago a guy down off the cap in ranch country sprayed some pasture with 24-d.
It gassed up and moved up on the cap in cotton ground and damaged some crops.

Back to your original question, it shouldn't have any effect on the grass. I use to use a lot of Rifle D (Dicamba and 2 4-D) and had good results with it. I mostly used it at the rate of 1 1/2 pints per acre with about 15 gallons of spray and of course a good surfactant.
You might ask a real herbicide company about one of those anti-drift products. They will help with the volatilize.

I don't understand it
I have random places like this scattered throughout, but then most of it looks like the 2nd pic
What causes the weeds in certain spots
Its random and not due to heavy traffic, shade, water or anything. Completely random

Cross-7":2o5eky3m said:
Years ago a guy down off the cap in ranch country sprayed some pasture with 24-d.
It gassed up and moved up on the cap in cotton ground and damaged some crops.

No doubt it will do it but there is a lot of difference between spraying a few acres and spraying a hundred in a span of an hour. For 2,4 D to travel 13 miles and still be in a concentrated enough form to harm cotton I would think it was a large application. This is why I'm curious. I'm not questioning the fact that it did it just asking for more info.

Jogeephus":2wztvsdw said:
jedstivers":2wztvsdw said:
We've traced D damage 13 miles.

Care to elaborate on this? What size application was the source that drifted 13 miles? I've sprayed within 100 yards of cotton and never had any problems.
It was July or August and put out by plane. It was awful on the damage it caused.
D absouatly cannot be put out here in any way what so ever without causing cotton damage.
In fact it's illegal after April 15th in this county.
Lot of other cases with it being traced for miles but I can't remember them as well. I was in direct line on this one.

Cross-7":297szmz6 said:
I don't understand it
I have random places like this scattered throughout, but then most of it looks like the 2nd pic
What causes the weeds in certain spots
Its random and not due to heavy traffic, shade, water or anything. Completely random

I've been trying to decide what to do about the weeds and have limited options due crops near by.
At home prickly pear, yucca, broomweed and etc is an indication of overgrazing.
The only solution is to clean it up and the #1 thing is to rest it and let the turf recover.

This place so different from home.
Here you have different grasses depending on the season.
Lots of annuals opposed to a sod turf out west.
So I don't know that rest would really help as long as it's not abused.
I know undestand the term grass farmer

Don't think one year will be the norm because it won't especially on the weeds. I have a nice 80 acre tract that is mostly coastal bermuda with patches of common. It is sandy loam soil and has always had a Wooly Croton problem but not many other weeds. I spray it yearly to keep the croton in check.
For some reason this year I have a bunch of thistle for weeds and a lot of Big Blue Stem grasses suddenly appear. The bermuda seems healthy but needs a bunch of nitrogen according to the soil test. I'm pretty sure the thistle came from the neighbors place but what triggered the blue stem to show up is a mystery.

Same here
This is just my second summer here and there was a some little bluestem last summer, but this year there is a lot of big bluestem.
After an unusually wet spring the horsenettle, cocklebur, marestail, sunflower have just taken over in some patches.
I had some weeds last year but not like this year.
I can't stand to look at. I feel like I need to be doing something about it

Latest posts