Bangs and castrating

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Tomorrow morning the vet will come to vaccinate for Bangs and we are going to castrate some bulls first. This will be my first time with the castrating, the man I'm helping does it with the cutting method. These bulls are about 4-6 months old. He has registered Black Angus, I haven't ask him why he waits to this age to do it but is it because he wants to see how they are developing before he cuts their manhood off?

Yes, that is probably the answer. When we raised registered cattle, we usually had 3 castrating times - branding, 6 or 7 months of age, and right around a year old.

msscamp":3hwjfth3 said:
Yes, that is probably the answer. When we raised registered cattle, we usually had 3 castrating times - branding, 6 or 7 months of age, and right around a year old.

Yes, some of the bulls are actually a little older than 6 months.

tncattle":3sniuo76 said:
Tomorrow morning the vet will come to vaccinate for Bangs and we are going to castrate some bulls first. This will be my first time with the castrating, the man I'm helping does it with the cutting method. These bulls are about 4-6 months old. He has registered Black Angus, I haven't ask him why he waits to this age to do it but is it because he wants to see how they are developing before he cuts their manhood off?
ifsince he is reg breeder.he cant cut the bulls as babies.he has to let them grow an see if any are worth raising for herd bulls.the reg cattle are where his money is.an you bangs vacc your heifers tween 3 an 11 months.never vacc older than that.

bigbull338":3oebn61h said:
tncattle":3oebn61h said:
ifsince he is reg breeder.he cant cut the bulls as babies.he has to let them grow an see if any are worth raising for herd bulls.the reg cattle are where his money is.an you bangs vacc your heifers tween 3 an 11 months.never vacc older than that.

All the heifers that were vaccinated were between 5-7 months old. We ended up only castrating 4 bulls and man the first one kicked him in the face right below his eye. It wasn't a full force blow but still enough to really hurt. The other bulls just stood there and took like real men even though they were losing their manhood! :lol: I did get to tatoo some of the heifers ears, they don't like that too much either. I swear the heifers are much more rowdy than the bulls are.

TNMasterBeefProducer":1y3sjbsa said:
Was anyone holding this calves tail that kicked the guy in the face? I know when we cut ours I always have someone hold the tail and I have never been kicked.

No they were not but they were on the other ones after that. I'm amazed that overall the bull calfs really didn't seem to mind this. :shock:

TNMasterBeefProducer":11rybto3 said:
That is exactly why we cut. They only feel pain for a split second and that is when you make that first initial cut on the sack. After that they dont feel anything. Where as if you band them they feel pain and it hurts them until it goes numb which can take a while sometimes. Besides cutting them you know you got both nuts.

How do you know it doesn't hurt after that?

TNMasterBeefProducer":3jo4dmjg said:
That is exactly why we cut. They only feel pain for a split second and that is when you make that first initial cut on the sack. After that they dont feel anything. Where as if you band them they feel pain and it hurts them until it goes numb which can take a while sometimes. Besides cutting them you know you got both nuts.

I agree, cutting is so much quicker and more efficient. All of them except one just walked calmly out of the head shute and started eating some feed like nothing ever happened.

TNMasterBeefProducer":h9elfvvx said:
Well farm wife I dont believe it hurts after that because every one we have ever cut let out one little beller when we cut initially and then didnt move. After coming out of the head gate they went straight to eating as if nothing ever happened just like tn cattle described. I have banded as well and it seems like the calves bellered more and went off feed for a few days until the nuts fell off. They lost a little bit of weight where as the ones I cut didnt. Therefore I deduce that cutting them doesnt hurt them as bad as banding. Plus they are least likely to get tetanus from cutting them. We spray their sacks down after we cut em with blue lotion and leave it alone.

Yep, we sprayed their sacks with blue lotion also and let em go. They barely bled at all.

TNMasterBeefProducer":khka9oc1 said:
Yeah works good tn cattle. Sounds like yall are doing things the right way. Sounds like the first time to. :p

Yeah this was my first time with the castrating. I didn't actually get to do it but I did tatoo some of the heifers. Now I know why the word heifer is used in a nagative way sometimes referring to people. Some of those girls were just plain rowdy. One of them jumped clean through the head shute becasue we weren't quick enough and then one did a big hurdle jump when leaving the shute and ran around like we had shot her with something for about 30 seconds.

TNMasterBeefProducer":11ygeu8v said:
Thats them high headed angus for ya. Some of em are as docile as puppies others run around like snot blowin brahmans just waiting to take your head off. Were these heifers out of N Bar Emulation EXT? He is notorious for siring high headed cattle.

I don't think so, I'm not really sure who they are out of not all the same bull probably. I see you are a new member, WELCOME! Where are you in Tn.? I live in extreme west Davidson county.

bigbull338":3iaai0gd said:
tncattle":3iaai0gd said:
ifsince he is reg breeder.he cant cut the bulls as babies.he has to let them grow an see if any are worth raising for herd bulls.

I beg to differ - we have raised registered cattle for a number of years, and the vast majority of our bull calves have always been castrated at branding.

msscamp":1xnr8dz7 said:
bigbull338":1xnr8dz7 said:
tncattle":1xnr8dz7 said:
ifsince he is reg breeder.he cant cut the bulls as babies.he has to let them grow an see if any are worth raising for herd bulls.

I beg to differ - we have raised registered cattle for a number of years, and the vast majority of our bull calves have always been castrated at branding.

Well this is all new to me anyway but yesterday I asked him why and he said becasue if they are cut too early they won't develop as quickly because the lack of testosterone.

It is quite acceptable to wait for that age to castrate.

I am simply glad you are doing some cutting.

The vast, vast majority of bull calves on any registered operation should be cut - they do not make breeding quality.

Examples of that are numerous right here on this board.

How many times have we seem pics of very sub standard bulls that are proudly posted for review as the "new herd bull"?

In my opinion less than five percent of registered bulls produced today actually make the breeding quality cut.

Bez+

Bez+":1d75ogg8 said:
It is quite acceptable to wait for that age to castrate.

I am simply glad you are doing some cutting.

The vast, vast majority of bull calves on any registered operation should be cut - they do not make breeding quality.

Examples of that are numerous right here on this board.

How many times have we seem pics of very sub standard bulls that are proudly posted for review as the "new herd bull"?

In my opinion less than five percent of registered bulls produced today actually make the breeding quality cut.

Bez+

Yep, he cuts a lot of his because he said they just aren't good enough. I'll try to get some numbers on how many he keeps and how many he cuts. He's a tough old man, after that bull calf kicked him in the face he got right back in there and castrated hime within a few minutes.

Latest posts