Bandsaw or Chop Saw?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lazy K

Reaction score
Howdy all,

I was just wondering which one everyone preferred, band saw or a chop saw.. Looking at getting a new band saw and was wondering brands, the old one was a milwaukee, but my dad backed over it with a tractor in the shop, and I do quite a bit of fabrication around the ranch.

I got a band saw some 5-6 years ago and haven;t used the chop saw since.

I like my Milwaukee Port A band. I use the band more the chop saw. At work we bought one of these, it was a Saturday, we were in a bind and this was available. Its about 2 yrs old now and cuts aluminum square tube daily. We take 20 foot sticks and cut into 3" pieces...so lots of cuts. Its held up very good I think.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... s-_-155072

Lazy K":1th911wo said:
Howdy all,

I was just wondering which one everyone preferred, band saw or a chop saw.. Looking at getting a new band saw and was wondering brands, the old one was a milwaukee, but my dad backed over it with a tractor in the shop, and I do quite a bit of fabrication around the ranch.

If you're referring to a portable saw, yes, I use a Milwaukee
porta-band for everything. I got a really good deal on mine from a friend. It was new. If it had not been too cheap to pass on I would have perferred a deep throat model.

fitz

Funny you ask about grizzly, I have been useing one like that all afternoon, my grandpa has had it for almost 10 years and it has been USED! Still cuttin through any kind of metal like hot butter. The only thing that slows it down is if you put to fine of a blade on it.

Bigfoot":270kx2zg said:
I am all ways the opposite of everybody else. I like a chop saw.
Me too. I think they both serve a purpose, but I like the speed of the chop saw for a lot of things. Also a lot easier to move around if necessary.

For the folks that use chop saws, the Dewalt diamond edge metal blades for chop saws are alot better than the regular abrasive blades. They will cut faster and last a 100 times longer but they cost a couple hundred dollars each. If you use a chop saw a lot they are worth it.

M.Magis":2h2oa5j5 said:
Bigfoot":2h2oa5j5 said:
Me too. I think they both serve a purpose, but I like the speed of the chop saw for a lot of things. Also a lot easier to move around if necessary.

:???: You just hold a portaband in your hands.... how is it easier to move around a chop saw?

Brute 23":3deq7npb said:
M.Magis":3deq7npb said:
Bigfoot":3deq7npb said:

:???: You just hold a portaband in your hands.... how is it easier to move around a chop saw?
I was referring to band saws in general, not a portaband. Obviously that's easier to move, but as far as I can tell mostly useful for rough cuts. It doesn't seem like they'd be much use for angles and straight cuts. But to be fair, I've never used one. I may be wrong.

I prefer the chop saw when cutting angles on pipe??? But the port-a-band is very handy too!! So I guess its whatever you can afford. We use a Milwaukee port-a-band when cutting saddles out on 1" pipe

Latest posts