Bander recommendation?

Help Support CattleToday:

As far as slit vs no slit, try some both ways and I'd be shocked if anyone picked no slit. I've not had issues either way, but with the slit they're dropped and healed in half the time.

M.Magis said:
As far as slit vs no slit, try some both ways and I'd be shocked if anyone picked no slit. I've not had issues either way, but with the slit they're dropped and healed in half the time.

Do you band then and then cut the bottom 1/3 of the sack off?

M.Magis said:

Your bags are dropping in a week? I just talked to a producer tonight that bands around 200 calves a year and gas done it both ways. After losing some with slit bags to tetanus said he would never slit again. Also if you are banding calves on the cow what difference does a week or two make? We also keep our calves at least 45 days after weaning so even when we band at weaning they are gone. I guess I'm not willing to take the risk of tetanus for a bag to drop a week sooner?

Around here, blackleg is my biggest concern. The last few years I've started getting the calves up at around 3 months old...more or less....and give the blackleg/tetanus vaccine, also tag them and thats it.
Then sometime later... it doesn't have to be 10 days it can be 2 months later .....I'll get them up and band them then give the booster at that time.
Last year, I started slitting the bag and it only takes a second. You don't have the swelling and they drop off much faster.

I've never slit the bag, honestly never heard of it. I lost 3 calves 1 year to tetanus, vet recommended the antitoxin at that point. Lost one 2years ago to black leg even though I vaccinated for it. Could a got missed or been that very odd chance the vac didnt work.

fnfarms1 said:
I've never slit the bag, honestly never heard of it. I lost 3 calves 1 year to tetanus, vet recommended the antitoxin at that point. Lost one 2years ago to black leg even though I vaccinated for it. Could a got missed or been that very odd chance the vac didnt work.
Anything can happen. I try not to let my calves get too big before I give them the first dose of blackleg/tetanus shot. Try to do it while they still have immunity from their mama.

I used a calicrate bander for the first time this year. It was easy enough. My yearling bulls weighed from 400-550 lbs. it's been 4 weeks & they haven't dropped yet. All should drop next week so allow 4-6 weeks. Not sure how the instructions came up with 2 weeks. Maybe some 250 pounders. Not sure if I'll use it this spring due to concern of worms & flies. After I had done a couple it probably didn't take but a couple of minutes to band them. Bander & bands are kind of expensive but cheaper than $50 each for the vet to do it. Up until this year I sold my yearlings as bulls. Great opportunity to wean, worm & vaccinate them. I go ahead & ear tag them. I'd like to think that tag will be worth $20 each when I sell them. We'll see....

Neighbor has the calicrate bander, says he hates it, to bully etc. He uses california bander. Says its alot better. Anyone else used one?

Follow up here. I used the zip bandit for the first time this year on 500 pound bulls. I'll be using them again. Simple, clean and easy.

fnfarms1 said:
Neighbor has the calicrate bander, says he hates it, to bully etc. He uses california bander. Says its alot better. Anyone else used one?

Never used the calicrate so can't compare the two. But have been using the California bander for a while. Its super quick and simple once you get used to it, never had any issues.

fnfarms1 said:
Any issues with California bander on smaller calves? Say 250lbs

Never used one on a calf that small, but can't think of any issues as long as it's pulled tight enough. I just use a little green band on smaller ones.

Went with the XL bander. Works good, although hard for me to find enough room. Says it does 250-750lb calves. Biggest I had was 500ish.I think I'd have trouble with any over 600lbs, but then again that big I think would be starting to look to bully and hurt them at sale. I'd buy again and do recommend for a very simple bander for 200-500lb calves

Hpacres440p said:
Does anyone burdizzo anymore? My dad said that's all they used when he was young, rarely hear about it anywhere.

It's pretty much gone by the wayside. With a bander or a knife you can be sure the job is done. Burdizzo leaves too much uncertainty.

I have had great success with the California bander. I have also had better luck with slitting the sac, about an inch slit in the bottom of the scrotum. I've done it both ways, slit and not slit. In two weeks everything is off and healing when slit. I also give a tetanus vaccine at the time of banding, I get all my vaccines from valley vet. I have been told that there is not enough tetanus protection in the blackleg/tetanus vaccine for castration from my local vet and that they need a straight tetanus vaccine.

Spay blade on a case pocket knife is all we use.
Cut the bottom third off and pull the nuts out. Don't use the knife except to cut the sack.
I've added a cut resistant glove for my left hand since that time I cut my wrist...lol
I cannot make any sense out of cutting the sack and not pulling the nuts out. None whatsoever.

Watched a vet use a cordless drill with a clamp on the end. Cut the bottom of the sack, put the clamp above the nut, and spin... off they come. Do the next one. Not one drop of blood. He claimed the spinning cuts the lines and I think he said has a cauterizing effect.

It was hard to watch as a male but the calves didnt even flinch. Like I said, not one drop of blood and pretty fast.