Californa Bander?

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
I Just Bought a "californa bander" has anyone used one it looks pretty simple. I guess you can't pull it too tight. Any advice I'm all ears. Thanks

They work good. I only use them on bigger animals. My preference is to catch them as new borns and use the normal bander. So the California bander is seldom used but it has never been a problem.

I got a calicrate and it has a built in indicator that tells when the band is tight enough. Like backhoe says smaller is better when it comes to castrating bulls. I probably loan my big bander out more than I use it.

Larry

We use it extensively and have very few if any problems. The problem we have had is the clip that slides in the holder will sometimes fall out when you start to pull the band around ( which can be a pain in the Arse) but other than that it works just fine!

Word of caution - if you're going to use a 'bander', give a tetanus toxoid injection a couple of weeks prior to castration, or tetanus toxoid AND tetanus antitoxin(more expensive) at the time of band application.

I saw four nice 600-700 lb steers dying of tetanus last week, that had been castrated with one of those banders about two weeks earlier.
They had given a vaccine containing tetanus toxoid at the time of band application, but that's 'rolling the dice' - hoping that the animals will have time to respond to the toxoid and make antibodies BEFORE the tetanus organisms get a chance to grow and produce tetanus toxin. They lost the bet.

Latest posts