Banamine?

Help Support CattleToday:

Dusty Britches

Reaction score
Can you give banamine IM to cattle or will it cause the muscle to abscess? I'm under the impression it should only be given IV, but a friend of mine in the horse industry said it could also be given orally for up to 3 days.

Thanks.

The vet told Van to give it sub-q in the front shoulder. I'm a lousy shot giver...sub-q especially...so when Van's around, he does the honors. And, when Van's out of town, I sweet talk my brother into it. And, when my brother's not around...then the poor calf and I sometimes have a real unfortunate series of events. Oh, the calf gets the shot...but, dang, it's not a pleasant experience...for either one of us.

Alice

I guess I'm concerned - the label I'm using - FluMeglumine - says "Do Not administer intramuscular in cattle. Administer intravenous only."

I give Banamine (or the generic version of it) regularly IM. Vet has actually put an extra label on some bottles giving IM instructions and noting milk withdrawal time.

IM is the only way I've ever used it, that is what the vet prescribed.

We have used banimine for the past few years and the way we give it 9 times out of 10 is IM have found no side effects and really like how fast the cattle respond to it. GREAT STUFF!!!

Farminlund":8r5s67h3 said:
It sounds like those that use it, like it - but I hate to admit I don't know what you use it for?

Pain relief, anti-inflammatory, fever reducer. The top 3 that come to my mind.

Katherine

That might have been good for my preemie - he looked like he was hurting something bad as he labored to breath. I hate to see them suffer - I hate to have them go while I'm working on them, but at least you knew that you did all you could. Can it be purchased w/o a prescription?

Farminlund":33dxzidh said:
Can it be purchased w/o a prescription?

Doubt it. You may want to check any catalogs you have laying around, go to the prescrption section and see if it is in that section, then you'll know for sure. I believe you need a prescription.

When I run out, I just purchase a new bottle from the vet. It's not too expensive. (unless he's just cutting me a break).

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":1ocrdkoi said:
Farminlund":1ocrdkoi said:
Can it be purchased w/o a prescription?

Doubt it. You may want to check any catalogs you have laying around, go to the prescrption section and see if it is in that section, then you'll know for sure. I believe you need a prescription.

When I run out, I just purchase a new bottle from the vet. It's not too expensive. (unless he's just cutting me a break).

Katherine

It does require a prescription. We get the generic...something called Supressor.

Alice

dun":2i19gjk9 said:
We use the real generic, acetylsalicylic acid aka aspirin

dun

You should have seen the look I got one time for smashing up 17 "store-brand" aspirins to give to my horse. ( I cannot remember the dosage now as to how many mg per lb for horses). Certainly much less expensive than the aspirin powder/granules at the feed store.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":1fw8k8d3 said:
dun":1fw8k8d3 said:
We use the real generic, acetylsalicylic acid aka aspirin

dun

You should have seen the look I got one time for smashing up 17 "store-brand" aspirins to give to my horse. ( I cannot remember the dosage now as to how many mg per lb for horses). Certainly much less expensive than the aspirin powder/granules at the feed store.

Katherine

I just use 1 325 mg aspirin per cwt. If it's much over 100 I throw in another one

dun

I'm confused (that's not hard to do) – you need a prescription to by Banamine which is a brand name for high dosage aspirin. Somehow I don't understand that one – you're required a prescription to give your animal aspirin yet you can give yourself all you want by buying it over the counter.

Latest posts