Banamine Transdermal

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
Have any of you heard of this new Banamine drug?
"The topical formulation of Banamine Transdermal provides a new way to administer flunixin to cattle. Banamine Transdermal is approved for a single application of a dose of 3.3 mg flunixin per kilogram body weight topically in a narrow strip along the back (dorsal midline/spine from the withers to the tail head). This non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication is approved for use in steers, beef heifers, beef cows, beef bulls intended for slaughter and replacement dairy heifers under 20 months of age. It is not for use in beef bulls intended for breeding; dairy bulls; female dairy cattle 20 months of age or older (including dry dairy cows); and suckling beef calves, dairy calves, and veal calves."

Banamine is a great drug, but totally illegal the way the majority of us use it - only supposed to be administered IV. This is a great solution.

Thanks for that. I am kinda in the Lucky Camp. I have never used an anti-inflammatory. I am a strong advocate of vaccines but not other meds.

BR... I'm a proponent of anti-inflammatories and pain relief... it's a topic that's been all but ignored in food animal husbandry for far too long. That said, most producers - and, unfortunately, a lot of veterinarians, don't do it appropriately or adequately. When indicated, with the appropriate drug and dosage, they're a good thing.

On this board(and others) I see folks (and the horse people are the worst!) - using flunixin (Banamine) like it was water or saline... it's not totally innocuous...It's approved for use IV... yes, you can give it IM... but it does cause tissue damage... and if you give a SINGLE dose IM, the slaughter withdrawal goes from 4 days(for a single IV administration) to 30 days; give it more than once... you're on your own, with regard to how long violative tissue residues will remain. It's become one of the most common causes of violative tissue residues... mainly due to misuse and failure to observe appropriate withdrawal times on dairy cattle sent to slaughter... but beef producers aren't without some of the blame.

First I'd seen of a transdermal formulation...

I've used Meloxican for several years on bull calves. Give it when castrating. I also give it to a baby calf if it's experienced a difficult birth. I use rarely use Banamine and it's always administered orally. Canada has Meloxican approved orally and I really wish it was available in the U.S. that way.
25-30 years ago, a local veterinarian me told Banamine was nothing more than 'liquid cattle aspirin' and could be freely administered-no amount or time frame was too much or too frequent.

Chocolate Cow2":2enyzxqi said:
I've used Meloxican for several years on bull calves. Give it when castrating. I also give it to a baby calf if it's experienced a difficult birth. I use rarely use Banamine and it's always administered orally. Canada has Meloxican approved orally and I really wish it was available in the U.S. that way.
25-30 years ago, a local veterinarian me told Banamine was nothing more than 'liquid cattle aspirin' and could be freely administered-no amount or time frame was too much or too frequent.
I guess your vet didn't know!!! :shock:
LuckyP - it is also hard on the ?kidneys??. Must make sure they have lots of fluid?? Is that correct? Husband used to be our "in house vet" (and nutritionist). So, I'm depending on "old brain".

From what I am hearing, the trans-dermal banamine will run around 2.5-3X the cost of the generic injectable banamine products most people are using. It is illegal to give the current banamine product IM or orally, perhaps we will see increased enforcement of this now that a topical banamine is available.

Oral Meloxicam tablets are available in the US. They aren't labeled for cattle either, but the FDA for the time being is understanding of its use and views it as a low priorty for enforcement when used for pain control and proper withdrawals are followed. They are somewhat less understanding of IM banamine and there is likely enforcement potential there.

Lucky_P":3g0t54bj said:
BR... I'm a proponent of anti-inflammatories and pain relief... it's a topic that's been all but ignored in food animal husbandry for far too long. That said, most producers - and, unfortunately, a lot of veterinarians, don't do it appropriately or adequately. When indicated, with the appropriate drug and dosage, they're a good thing.

On this board(and others) I see folks (and the horse people are the worst!) - using flunixin (Banamine) like it was water or saline... it's not totally innocuous...It's approved for use IV... yes, you can give it IM...

I was not clear. I share your concern for the indiscriminate use of drugs.

From what I am hearing, the trans-dermal banamine is going to run about 2.5-3X the cost of the generic banamine products most people are using. As stated before, both IM and oral administration of the injectable product is illegal, and there is certainly potential for increased enforcement here now that a topical product is available. Might be a good time for people to start kicking the IM banamine habit.

Oral meloxicam tablets are available in the US, but are not labeled for cattle. However, the FDA has shown some understanding for the use of meloxicam for pain relief in cattle and enforcement of the drug is a low priority when proper withdrawals are used. They are somewhat less understanding of the use of IM banamine.

Latest posts