Banamine?

Help Support CattleToday:

Farminlund":aysl2rvf said:
I'm confused (that's not hard to do) – you need a prescription to by Banamine which is a brand name for high dosage aspirin. Somehow I don't understand that one – you're required a prescription to give your animal aspirin yet you can give yourself all you want by buying it over the counter.

Sorry for the confusion...Banamine, aka Flunixen Meglumine is not the same as Aspirin aka acetylsalicylic acid.

They do similar things, such as fever reduction, pain relief etc. But they are two very different chemical compounds.

Katherine

Farminlund":389lkhyt said:
I'm confused (that's not hard to do) – you need a prescription to by Banamine which is a brand name for high dosage aspirin. Somehow I don't understand that one – you're required a prescription to give your animal aspirin yet you can give yourself all you want by buying it over the counter.
Ok, it's not high dose aspirin. It is a NSAID, which can easily cause gastric ulceration and perforation, and isn't that gentle on the kidneys. Could you buy Vioxx over the counter? (Sorry, don't know the names of the other prescription human NSAIDs in the states....)

Same class, different drug, different side effects. You should not be using it blythly, it can cause serious side effects. But hey, I've only been licenced for 20 years and I've seen it happen...

Latest posts