Baleage vs dry hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Too dry and you don't get good fermentation and get more mold, to wet and you get more mold and can turn to mush. The bales will be heavy so make sure you can handle them. Individual wrapping like I do is a slow process so plan accordingly, I try to have the wife hauling the bales while I'm baling so that as soon as I finish all we have to do is wrap. Have someplace clean and smooth to stack them as stubble, rocks, etc can poke holes through the plastic.

Tbrake":3bpusuvz said:
We put up 45 acres of oats this year. It was my first time doing so, got a little too dry on us. Tester was all over the place. Anywhere from 25-40 even a few 60's like you want. Majority being around 40. Should I be worried?

Yes
It will mold at that moisture level, but I have done dryer
Feed it sooner rather than later

Used haylege for the first time this year. My hay man gave me the choice. He cut the hay off my place and stacked it in one long tube along the fence line. Had no problems with the plastic. The cows loved it. I usually had a box blade on the back of the tractor to counter the extra weight on the loader. Hay man rolled the hay two hours after it was cut. I will do this again.

Newberry Creek":hlqirl7f said:
Used haylege for the first time this year. My hay man gave me the choice. He cut the hay off my place and stacked it in one long tube along the fence line. Had no problems with the plastic. The cows loved it. I usually had a box blade on the back of the tractor to counter the extra weight on the loader. Hay man rolled the hay two hours after it was cut. I will do this again.
Those long row type of wrappings is the way to go. We did the individual bales a couple of years but have done the long row/tube type for the past 5-6. The only cautions are to nake sure there are at least 2 dry bales at each end to close them off and watch for possums and coons tearing the plastic at ground level while it is stored.

Is it possible to get a baleage sample to make sure it isn't going to be harmful for the cattle?

One thing I've noticed is that they eat everything bin the feeder no sorting. I fed it last year in the winter usually when temp drops below 30. What they grab they eat we had no mess around bunk or any left in it. It takes some experimenting but with our crazy weather it's been an awesome fall back plan if we can't get the put up dry. I also know guys who bale at 30 percent and call it sweet hay. It sort of just carmalize instead of ferment.

Agree to most everyone's thoughts. We do some if the weather is just not letting us make dry hay. The cows do love it and will really eat it faster than dry hay. But we try to make it all dry if we can.

Smoothy":18gjw9ip said:
I also know guys who bale at 30 percent and call it sweet hay. It sort of just carmalize instead of ferment.

Why not bale and wrap at 40+% moisture?

I would think there is a large loss in nutrients with sweet hay. Have they tested it?

I couldn't say. I agree with you on wrapping at 40. Start earlier in the morning for the most part. Just heard a few guys doing it. To each is there own I guess.

I'm having a hard job keeping moisture in the windrows this year. Even heavy windrows laid at 4ft, I'm baling within 24 hours, and its still too dry. Unreal. I cut mornings, bale afternoon, haul and wrap evenings. No raking even. Crazy how fast its drying this year.

Did 150 yesterday

Supa Dexta":1xpbuqez said:
I'm having a hard job keeping moisture in the windrows this year. Even heavy windrows laid at 4ft, I'm baling within 24 hours, and its still too dry. Unreal. I cut mornings, bale afternoon, haul and wrap evenings. No raking even. Crazy how fast its drying this year.

Did 150 yesterday
Most I've seen wrapped down this way simply wait for it to sort of wilt and then wrap. Often no more than a couple of hours at most. Works well, moisture is good and makes good end product. I just don't like the idea of baling 60% water unless it's absolutely necessary due to weather etc. especially for beef cows.

Supa Dexta":z9sbpz4c said:
I'm having a hard job keeping moisture in the windrows this year. Even heavy windrows laid at 4ft, I'm baling within 24 hours, and its still too dry. Unreal. I cut mornings, bale afternoon, haul and wrap evenings. No raking even.

Organic dairy guys here do "hay in a day" to maximize sugar content and minimize grain feeding. Rule #1 is only cut on sunny mornings.

What are you feeding this balage to?

I've made "hay in a day" many times especially later in the summer when the sun is warm and the crop has less moisture in it. Earlier in the season with our climate its usually mow one morning, rake on the 2nd morning, then start baling soon there after. Then wrap til the next dawn if needed.

Stocker Steve":3jplp7ux said:
What are you feeding this balage to?

Bred cows, retained heifers, bulls, feeders... Basically any animal on the farm in the winter. Feed my dry hay from fall into winter, and then switch to baleage til summer.

Down in south Ga, I can start baling conditioned bermudagrass in under an hour under hot-dry conditions. From what I've learned, you should only bale between 45-65% moisture, with anything under 45% being more prone to deadly conditions, primarily botulism. There are many challenges to baleage, most of which have already been addressed, but it's ability to preserve nutrients in the forage by minimizing drying loss make it worthwhile for programs that need to maximize nutrition in stored forages. (Esp. Dairy, stocker, and grass finishing). For tube rolls, One should not skimp on the number of wraps (we do at least 6) and be diligent about keeping it completely airtight and feeding only what will be consumed in 24hrs, especially in warm or hot conditions. Also, feed it within a year. We really like to wrap tif-85 bermudagrass, oats, and ryegrass. Like said earlier, if properly made, the cows will clean it up better than dry hay if fed properly. A certain amount of scale is probably needed to afford heavier equipment and wrapper.

Latest posts