Bale spear

Help Support CattleToday:

Rookie

Reaction score
Is there a hydraulic unit which can be bought which will power a spear attached to the back of a pick up truck? If so where might one be aquired and what do they cost?

george

I've seen several of them, they're pretty bulky and are pricey. I'll see if I can find the name on one when I see it again.

dun

I just saw an old 1 ton Chevy yesterday that used the pump and controls from a snowplow to run the cylinder for the bale spear. It worked good and also had an outlet plumbed in to plug in hoses for other things. Dun is right. It was pretty bulky and looked like a hassle to remove if you wanted an empty bed for hauling something else.

Rather than a hydrolic lift I've seen some with crank and cable/pully operation and are cheaper than the hydrolic. 8)

My brother in-law uses a bale spear attached to his hidden hitch on his truck( makes it easy to take on and off)and a manuel come-along to lift it.Some guys here use an old electric winch from a Massey combine. They used them on the header on those old combines.

Latest posts