Bale spear design question

Help Support CattleToday:

rgv

Reaction score
Made deal to get another hay spear with new tractor. Front end loader is same as older tractor so bucket and forks would work on either tractor.
Older spear is one spear with the the two smaller tines below.
When they sent out the tractor the new fork is two spears mounted lower with kinda of a guard on the top.
The spears are as heavy as the one spear on the older model.
Wondering if anyone has used this type vs single spear. pros & cons. I guess the two pronger could be used to haul a few logs or even as a light skid type under pallets.
Dealer said give it a try - if we prefer the single he would swap out.
Just thinking when stacking high, there is sometimes when it is hard to get the single out without pulling bale that maybe two spears would be more so.

Any thoughts or experiance one way or another?

RGV

I prefer a single spear for stacking. I have a two spear that I use on the back for carrying two bales at a time. I guess if you have the room to maneuver the two would work.

I have one of each and usually use the double tine one. It is really handy like you have already mentioned. Works great for moving logs and pushing brush, also for moving pallets. But the main reason I use the 2 tine spear is because I use sisal twine because I hate cutting off plastic and I can get underneath the bale and lift it instead of spearing in the middle. It really cut down on the amount of hay left in the lot.

For freshly made really tight bales it does stick a bit like you mentioned though, making it hard to load sometimes.

we have to sets of forks one with long prongs other with short we stack for high end on end so we need two only no more no less.

I like a double spear. The bales don't roll like they can on a single. Also, the double can be used for large square bales.

A single is okay for the back three point because they're light and can be thrown in the back of the pick up ect. However, for a loader the double fork is the only way to go.

I had two 2" spears on my tractor/loader when I got it. I had baled some fescue hay and was trying to load it on a trailer for someone and I had a heck of time trying to pull out of those bales. Sometimes when trying to dump a bale into a feeder, I could turn the spears straight down and the bale wouldn,t slide off without raising the front end loader up and dropping it down and stopping suddenly.Anyways I adapted mine for a single spear & two short ones below where the other two were. Mine are all detachable so sometimes I put the two long ones back in for palleting or brush work. But for moving hay & feeding hay, I use the single up high & two short ones below to keep the bale from turning.

Latest posts