Bald spots on calf

Help Support CattleToday:

JMHayes

Reaction score
Today I was walking through the pasture/desert and noticed that one of my month old calves had bald spots behind its ears and along the to of its neck. The calf is very healthy and nursing well. Is this caused by flys? I have my cows on a scheldule with the bulls to calf in the winter so I don't usually have problems with flys and calves, but I bought somes cows that were bred at a different time than mine. Any suggestions?

could be ringworm, although it tends to occur when its moist. describe the baldness.

Beefy":3oq6nxz4 said:
could be ringworm, although it tends to occur when its moist. describe the baldness.

Or if you're feeding hay in a feeder it could be rub spots from the feeder

dun

If you can get a good answer for this let me know. I have had this occur from time to time. In my case it is not lice, or ring worm. Many people seem to think it is a reaction to some medication or fever. I am not at all sure what it is. Some of the calves that have had this happen have never been sick a day in their lives and have never been medicated with anything other than what is in the milk replacer. Some have the hair loss and others do not. All I know is that when you ask an old cattleman they will say not to worry about it. The hair comes back and they are fine. I see no difference in the growth of the calves.

If it's moist there, kinda looks like it could leak some puss, I had one like that once, and my bro-in-law studied some of everything in college, told me that it could be staff infection, and that the vet had something usually used on dogs, called PetGuard, I bought some. I think it was about 10 or 12 dollars, it is a lotion type stuff I put it on it twice that day, then again a couple of days later, It fixed it, I still have that bottle, it don't take much. I hope that works for you.

We have one calf that has a bald spot on his head...read a scraping and found nothing but dry skin...where his head hits the bar on the feed bunk.
Take a scraping to your vet and have him see what is there...
DMc

Latest posts