bait casting reels

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
is there anyone else in here that cant use them? i opt for spinning reels as my preference. if i had to fish to keep my family alive with one we would starve everytime I flip it out i get a huge birdnest. :lol:

skyhightree1":2kaqbr7o said:
is there anyone else in here that cant use them? i opt for spinning reels as my preference. if i had to fish to keep my family alive with one we would starve everytime I flip it out i get a huge birdnest. :lol:

I haven't used anything but baitcast since I was a kid.
You get a bull red on that spinning reel they will burn it up.
One my all time favorite's until it got stole was a 5000D.

I have had cheap ones to expensive reels same outcome birdnests each time. I only use a bait caster when fishing for cats and all i do is just let it hang off the boat and let it roll till it hits the bottom. When I fish my pond me and wife use spinning rods I recently showed her how to use spinning rods and she loves them now only the kids use the push button reels.

Shimano chronarch is the best casting reel ever made, my dad has had his first one for 21 years and it has been reworked but still going, that reel has made alot of money in the last 21 years.

skyhightree1":1hze9i5b said:
I have had cheap ones to expensive reels same outcome birdnests each time. I only use a bait caster when fishing for cats and all i do is just let it hang off the boat and let it roll till it hits the bottom. When I fish my pond me and wife use spinning rods I recently showed her how to use spinning rods and she loves them now only the kids use the push button reels.

I don't own anything but baitcasting reel's. It is not the reel that is malfunctioning.
I fished a many tournament on Galveston Bay in my younger day's.
I will say the last one I bought last year was 250.00 it was an Okuma Cedros.
Still fish with Shimano Mag 10's I have no clue how many trout they have caught.
The Mag 10 was the toughest reel I ever used in salt water.

Bare in mind I hven't fished for a few years, but I use to do a lot of fishing, trout, steelhead and salmon ... Kind of a northwest thing. I love a bait casting reel, the key is the setting. You need to put on your average total weight, lure, bait, weights ect. What ever you use the most common. With the desired weight on it it should free reel (free fall off the reel) about 5 or 6 feet a second. I usually did this in my living room. Then the most important thing is to learn to have controlled cast, you can't just sling it like you can a spinning reel, it has to be controlled and deliberate, don't try to over cast it. As you get use to it learn to use your thumb to help control how fast the line comes off the reel and your thumb makes for a great brake for the reel on those "oh cr@p" cast. Another thing is new line just put on the reel seemes to always cause a rats nest faster until it gets broke in and lays on the reel better.

I like em but admit I probably haven't "broke in" the line on any of em! Lol. I can promise you they have led to the purchase of countless spinning reals . ;)

I honestly fish less now during the courting of my wife we fished alot but not lately its just her and the kids all my lines need to be restrung on my reels and they are dusty. We were talking about having my whole family come here for a picnic and fish for 4th of july or september so now that got me thinking about the bait casters.

skyhightree1":3kl2w7r6 said:
I honestly fish less now during the courting of my wife we fished alot but not lately its just her and the kids all my lines need to be restrung on my reels and they are dusty. We were talking about having my whole family come here for a picnic and fish for 4th of july or september so now that got me thinking about the bait casters.

I would offer nothing but spin casters to a bunch if novice fisher "people". That is twice as critical for kids.

Using bait casting reels is a bit of an art form requiring a degree of finesse and a light touch of your thumb on the line as you cast it out. I like spinning reels and bait caster but given a choice I'd pick my old Shimano bait caster every time.

If I remember correctly Roland Martin fishes with spinning reels. He ain't too shabby.

They do take practice at first to master the technique. But it's like learning to ride a bike once you have it it's there and seems easy. And like a bike I imagine if I starting bait casting again I would be wobbly at first but pick it back up pretty fast.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Using bait casting reels is a bit of an art form requiring a degree of finesse and a light touch of your thumb on the line as you cast it out. quote]

I guess im not an artist and do not have this art form in my blood lol

Got 4 or 5 of Dad's old Ambassador's. They work just fine for me so I've never bought a newer model. Don't fish much though anymore.

skyhightree1":guu0e5xd said:

Turn it sideways as you make your cast (the road and reel). Use to bass fish a lot and never used anything but the Shimano rods and reels. Loved them....still have them but haven't fished in a long time.

Shimano Calcutta"s for me, but I have used about all of em. When it comes to baitcasters you have to get an educated thumb....Its a lot easier these days with all the braking systems in the reels. The original Garcia reels were not forgiving at all....I got very good at picking "professional overruns" out.

TexasBred":2f9v7y1v said:
skyhightree1":2f9v7y1v said:

Turn it sideways as you make your cast (the road and reel). Use to bass fish a lot and never used anything but the Shimano rods and reels. Loved them....still have them but haven't fished in a long time.

What does turning it sideways do?

I'm not TB, but turning it sideways just gives you more control of the line coming off the reel. I always kind of gave the cast a light "fling" with the rod and reel turn sideways or at least 80 to 90 degrees from straight up and down. Sorry, I didn't think of the sideways thing but I always did it. For me it was more with my wrist than throwing it as some do with a spinning reel. The reel setting and thumb is the key for controlling rat nest on a bait caster.

houstoncutter":2rjsuajc said:
Shimano Calcutta"s for me, but I have used about all of em. When it comes to baitcasters you have to get an educated thumb....Its a lot easier these days with all the braking systems in the reels. The original Garcia reels were not forgiving at all....I got very good at picking "professional overruns" out.

Back in the day I had Dick's Tackle Shop in Texas City custom make me a 9 foot popping rod. This was before Loomis Rod's had every been heard of. I was totally ate up with chasing trophy trout.
I could throw a Mirro-Lure out of sight with that rod. My fishing partner and I were being supplied by Mirro-Lure for a while we were in their news letter they put out as we had won so many tournament's with them.
HC I won one tourney off Dollar Point I had six speck's that weighed 38 pound's.
The all time best stringer for me came off the Seabrook Flat's had a 10 fish stringer that went 61 pound's.
I loved the 5000 D for fishing Seabrook in all the piling's a good one get on you could winch him out before he cut your line. I have no idea how many 7,8,and 9 pound trout I have caught. The best one to date is on the wall 31" long weighed 10 pound's caught her on Dec 31 and won the tourney for big fish. Ah the day's of my youth are gone just like my 17' Whaler.

Latest posts