Bahia Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

slb714":3n0043a0 said:
Looking at buying some, someone told me that cattle don't care for it, is this true?

If it were not for bahia mine would be on a diet of mud. Please don't tell my cows its not good I only put up 400 bales of the stuff last year.

Caustic Burno":2jqjku92 said:
slb714":2jqjku92 said:
Looking at buying some, someone told me that cattle don't care for it, is this true?

If it were not for bahia mine would be on a diet of mud. Please don't tell my cows its not good I only put up 400 bales of the stuff last year.

You beat me to it. Alot of us down south would have mud eatin cattle if it wasn't any good.

Shoot my cows think it is candy. Lady down the street got tired of paying $75/4x4 roll of coastal for her horses. She asked if I would sell her a 5x6 bahia roll. I said sure. She came back and said she couldn't keep her horses away from it.

Another lady (?), said my hay gave her horses colic. Problem really was the horses hadn't had any fiber and then gorged themselves on it. :shock:

Like the rest of the guys, if it weren't for Bahia, I would be raising catfish.

it is like any other hay. If you let it over grow before you cut it they won't like it.

alabama":2ayxzqs3 said:
it is like any other hay. If you let it over grow before you cut it they won't like it.

I leave it in the fall for standing forage, plant oats, rye,and clover with it. Graze it to the ground, pull the stock till the pasture ready to graze again. In the spring bahia comes back and has not been hert. If you want more, just try and kill it.

Mine are eating it just fine -- haven't heard any of them complain about it either!

Fly-guy

jonbquick.com":2cagftyi said:
slb714":2cagftyi said:

I'm getting ready to spray herbacide on 40 acres of Bahia. Tifton 85 has far more digestable energy (protine). It's also worth more when I sell it.
You are going to have to plow or disc the land to plant the Tifton 85. Why would you want to spray it now. The plowing will destroy any bahia there. Plant the Tifton and then spray a pre emerge to control any seed from the bahia or goat weeds. Any time we plow a pasture to do something, we have a ton of goat weed.

hurleyjd":2qtrayyw said:
jonbquick.com":2qtrayyw said:
slb714":2qtrayyw said:

I'm getting ready to spray herbacide on 40 acres of Bahia. Tifton 85 has far more digestable energy (protine). It's also worth more when I sell it.

You are going to have to plow or disc the land to plant the Tifton 85. Why would you want to spray it now. The plowing will destroy any bahia there. Plant the Tifton and then spray a pre emerge to control any seed from the bahia or goat weeds. Any time we plow a pasture to do something, we have a ton of goat weed.

Bahia grow like jiggs or tifton, by way of rizomes. You have to let the grass emerge and then the spray will kill the plant. If I disk I will jus cut and spread the rizomes. I don't want competitive grasses. The Cimmaron I am going to spray will kill broad leaf grasses. This is all per Texas A & M.

Latest posts