Bad week, Double Whammy

Help Support CattleToday:

rockridgecattle":133tfhvb said:
your bull might be recovering, but if he had a fever, his swimmers will be toast and it takes 3 weeks to rebuild the stock....from experience and our vet.

Or the Antibiotics can damage them also. That is why I leased the Bull from Jon. My vet says it can take up to 45 days to get good sperm.

Banamine can help em feel very good for a day. But awful sore the next. Just like any NSAID. Takes the inflamation down. And a fever.

hillsdown":f8eis5ny said:
Foot rot is a common disease that affects nearly all groups of cattle. Once started in a herd and "seeded" in the soil, it may persist for quite a long time. Cuts, bruises, puncture wounds, or severe abrasions permit bacteria to enter the tissue of the foot where they start an infection. Foot rot occurs during periods of extreme moisture, sudden freezing of muddy yards, or severe drought. The first observed sign of foot rot is lameness in one or more feet. Lameness caused by acute foot rot is followed by swelling of the foot, spreading of the toes, and reddening of the tissue above the hoof. In severe cases, the foot will abscess above the hoof with a discharge that has a characteristic foul odor. If the infection is not stopped, it will invade the deeper tissues of the foot and may invade one or more joints, causing chronic arthritis.
Research has indicated than when treatment was administered the first day, recovery was observed in 3 to 4 days. When delayed for 3 days, treatment was required again at 7 days, recovery was delayed for 10 to 12 days, and two animals required 30 to 45 days with multiple treatments to recover. Penicillin, oxytetracyclines (including the long-acting products such as LA200®), a number of the sulfa drugs, Ceftiofur (Naxcel®) and Florfenicol (Nuflor®) are some of the products used to treat foot rot. While you have the animal up, check the foot for foreign objects. If infection proceeds and infects the joints, arthritis may develop and claw amputation may be needed to correct the condition until the animal can be salvaged at slaughter.

My question is why Exceed . I would be using Naxcel, Excenel, Trivetrin or Nuflor. You can give him a copper sulphate foot bath as well , just set it up where he has to walk through.

Excede is the same antibiotic as Naxcel/Excenel, it's just longer lasting. I'm not familiar with Trivetrin; what antibiotic is that?

Trivetrin is a sulfa injected drug. Same as Borgal or Trimidox. Different names, different suppliers.
Very good when used in conjunction with Calf Span boluses for scours

If anyone has footrot - we do like Dun does. Use baling twine (I loved his term - like dental floss) between the "toes". We double it over AND put some knots in it so it is "bumpy" going thru the toes, so it can pull out any bad dirt & tissue. A true sign of footrot - smell the baling twine after "flossing" - should STINK!

Jeanne - Simme Valley":21tv99vb said:
If anyone has footrot - we do like Dun does. Use baling twine (I loved his term - like dental floss) between the "toes". We double it over AND put some knots in it so it is "bumpy" going thru the toes, so it can pull out any bad dirt & tissue. A true sign of footrot - smell the baling twine after "flossing" - should STINK!

How do you get the foot up, and hold it while you "floss"? I can lift a back foot with rope tied back up behind, but the animal can still kick. How do you lift the front feet?

Update

7 bull calves seem to have responded well. All on feed, and no more snot. Still not rambunctious though. Little bit of coughing going on.

Clean up bull still lame. I think it's a sprain. May take him to a vet that has a table later in the week.

JMichal":c1lr19ps said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":c1lr19ps said:

How do you get the foot up, and hold it while you "floss"? I can lift a back foot with rope tied back up behind, but the animal can still kick. How do you lift the front feet?

Tie it so that his leg is stretched out behind him or doubled up tight against his belly.

Update:

Young bulls are kicking up their heels again.
Clean up Bull is getting over his limp. Very slight today and yeasterday.

JMichal":1ehqhclu said:
Update:

Young bulls are kicking up their heels again.
Clean up Bull is getting over his limp. Very slight today and yeasterday.

That's good news. I bet you're feeling a bit of relief.

katherine

Latest posts