Bad luck keeps on coming

Help Support CattleToday:

Down in Dixie

Reaction score
Well my neighbors bull went thru the fence and was on a cow in heat. My bull met him and went to fighting with him. After 5-10 minutes it looked like my bull won the fight and went to finish running him off. He went to hop a small ditch and immediately went down. I thought he maybe had a heart attack but upon further inspection it looks like he broke his back. I was right next to him when it happened. He was dead in less than 30 seconds. IMG_7151.jpegIMG_7150.jpegLooks like I'm in the market for a new bull. This may be my sign to get out of the wagyu/Akaushi breed. Glad I had insurance on him. Talked to @gizmom earlier today and I don't think you can go wrong with her genetics. Helps that they are only a little over 2 hrs away also. Had some workers at the neighbors that I donated the front and rear quarters to. Going to have a skull mount made also. Waiting on the approval from the insurance to move forward right now.

That seems odd. Bulls do a lot rougher stuff than that all the time with out issue. I would like to see his insides when he gets cut open. If he broke his back I doubt he was going to go the distance give you years of service.
Aorta rupture?

Why are you getting out of wagyu/akaushi?
Selling freezer beef I wanted to try and improve what I was already making. I was hoping this would help me stand out from the other farms. I can sell my commercial steers no problem but the wagyu crosses are about $400 more and nobody wants to pay the extra for them.

I would be interested in how the insurance company handles the final payment if they know you donated some of the meat. around here, you would have to pay the value of the meat that was donated or sold. hope that is not the way it works in your situation and sorry you lost your bull. looked like a nice bull from the pic.

Bummer…just have to "build back"…sometimes things happen that are beyond our control. Maybe you'll be able to get an even better bull. Keep your chin up.

I've wondered about the Waygu and other breeds I would call "exotic"…there are folks who will pay more for them but it seems to be more of a niche market. In this economy, the number of folks who will pay more dwindles.

I would be interested in how the insurance company handles the final payment if they know you donated some of the meat. around here, you would have to pay the value of the meat that was donated or sold. hope that is not the way it works in your situation and sorry you lost your bull. looked like a nice bull from the pic.
It's always fun dealing with insurance people that know nothing about livestock. Insurance doesn't know anything about a donation and he is now in a 8 ft hole. Not planning on digging him up either. If they need more proof he is dead his head is in the fridge waiting to get a skull mount done.

There is such a mixed opinions on Wagyu. Why aren't they interested in paying more? Are you just burgering them out?
Seems some people are wanting to try Wagyu but not willing to buy a whole or half a cow. The people that want a whole or half look at the final number more than the Wagyu hype. So if I have a Wagyu usda inspected and sell by the cut the steaks sell fast and then I'm stuck with a ton of burger that's hard to move. I think Wagyu beef has a market but I haven't found the right group of people to make it more profitable than a commercial herd.

It's always fun dealing with insurance people that know nothing about livestock. Insurance doesn't know anything about a donation and he is now in a 8 ft hole. Not planning on digging him up either. If they need more proof he is dead his head is in the fridge waiting to get a skull mount done.
We had a storm that killed a **it-ton of calves and sheep in the area... as well as destroying all kinds of infrastructure. It was so bad we were declared a disaster area and the feds said we could all apply for disaster relief. Every time I applied the rules changed and the application was rejected... but they always invited me to reapply. Six months after the fact they said they required pictures of all the long dead and buried calves. I feel for you Dixie. I hope you have better luck with a private insurer.

We had a storm that killed a **it-ton of calves and sheep in the area... as well as destroying all kinds of infrastructure. It was so bad we were declared a disaster area and the feds said we could all apply for disaster relief. Every time I applied the rules changed and the application was rejected... but they always invited me to reapply. Six months after the fact they said they required pictures of all the long dead and buried calves. I feel for you Dixie. I hope you have better luck with a private insurer.
I hope they don't drag this on. If they do ask if he is really dead I do have his noggin in the shop fridge right now. Had a policy on him since I purchased him so I hope it pays off. Only had him 2 1/2 years.

I hope they don't drag this on. If they do ask if he is really dead I do have his noggin in the shop fridge right now. Had a policy on him since I purchased him so I hope it pays off. Only had him 2 1/2 years.
My experience with insurance companies is they want a Vet to do an autopsy on them and identify the animal to make sure it is the one they insured.

Ken

Latest posts