Bad Day

Help Support CattleToday:

There was a fella around here a few years ago that lost just about his whole herd due to that. He didn't have insurance either so the cattleman got together and donated animals for auction and the proceeds went to him .

Sad sad deal all around .. :(

We had 4 heavy bred Holsteins end up in the manure lagoon behind the freestall barn one time, we were lucky we found them in time and were able to pull them out with the help of some great neighbors.

Thanks everyone, it was really hard to take. It took me a week before I could even stand to go through my herd records and remove them from the book :~< . We do not have insurance to cover that, you have to have specific insurance which covers drownings, we don't. There have been a lot of cattle going though the ice this year. I hadn't heard of much before this, but since this has happened to us, we've heard of a lot.

randiliana":3car02oj said:
Thanks everyone, it was really hard to take. It took me a week before I could even stand to go through my herd records and remove them from the book :~< . We do not have insurance to cover that, you have to have specific insurance which covers drownings, we don't. There have been a lot of cattle going though the ice this year. I hadn't heard of much before this, but since this has happened to us, we've heard of a lot.
That seems to be a common phenomenon in our business. Nobody wants to be the first to say it happened to them, but the "me too"s come crawling out of the woodpile if somebody will start 'em off. Or maybe it's just me?

That must have been one sick feeling to have found your cows like that,sorry for your loss.I know that is the only thing keeping me from ice fishing this winter,i don't trust the ice.A few weeks ago a friend told me his neighbour lost 53 cows that fell through there dugout.

When we lived in Kansas, it was quite common. People that had to use the pond for a water source, built a fence over the top of the pond, so the cattle could only get to the edge - not walk out on it.

It was an absolutely horrible feeling, your heart just stops. In the end we were just glad it was only 10, I've heard of horror stories where it was most of a guys herd, like your neighbour, George.

Jeanne, usually our ice is more than thick enough by January, we are usually much more cautious in the early winter. I have thought of building a fence, but by mid winter we often have to be cutting a hole near the middle of the dugout anyways, as the ice is thick enough it is reaching the bottom of the dugout.

Normally from ice fishing experience,by mid december there is 12 to 14"s of ice,and by this time normally there is probably close to 2 1/2 feet of ice.At least all 10 cows weren't your pets and favorite cows,i guess that is one thing you can be thankful for.

Randi , are you sure it's not covered under entrapment in your policy. I would really fight them on this one, once the cattle fell through they could not get out, therefore they were trapped and the result was them drowning.

Hmm, have to look into that one...... Sounds like a possibility, I will mention it to DH and see what he thinks. I'm not sure that we have much more than just liability coverage on them, just in case one got out onto the #1 and someone hit it.

Sorry to hear about this, Randi. My aunt and uncle once had sixteen cows killed by lightning many years ago. Over a third of their milking herd. They perservered and I'm sure you will, too.

hillsdown":12rs9l4r said:
Randi , are you sure it's not covered under entrapment in your policy. I would really fight them on this one, once the cattle fell through they could not get out, therefore they were trapped and the result was them drowning.

Ours are just under the cheapest blanket coverage which includes things like gunshot (accidental), wild life kill, fire ,lightening and a clause for entrapment. I had a heifer that broke her leg a few years ago that was covered by entrapment because she got hung up on our corral system. Send a copy of your policy to your vet, they usually know all the ins and out of insurance policies.

Only my main clean up bull and flush cow usually gets the works coverage on them.

Good luck, I hope you can recoup some of your loss .. :(

Randi
I would call your claims office anyway the cost of a phone call is cheap if they are covered and it will help you be better informed
our insurance requires a vet to actually see the cows in the pond so you might of made a mistake by not calling your insurance first but maybe if you took pics and have a good relationship with your vet they might still cover them
Goodluck and sorry that it happened

Well, we've talked to the insurance agent, and we had the vet out. He BSE'd (took samples to test for BSE) on as many cattle as he could. Found out that they won't use mass deaths for that.

They won't use mass deaths for BSE samples, or insurance claims ?
Just curious but how much do Sask producers get from the government for a BSE sample submission . Mom and dad's friends in North Battleford told them that Sask does not have a BSE program, now I am really confused but it would phase me if they are completely wrong.

we lost a 3 day old calf in a pond about 2 weeks ago and i found her it was a sick feeling, we hardly ever have frozen ponds. but wow, i can imagine it is ten times worse for you. sorry for your lose

Latest posts