Backwards twins

Help Support CattleToday:

dahlen23

Reaction score
Just had a 4 year old cow that had her 2nd consecutive set of DEAD backwards twins. I know the obvious answer is to ship her out, but I was always of the understanding that stuff like that wasn't genetic and she is a tall and long cow. One of the nicest we own in fact. Anyone know genetics or badddddd luck?

I don;t know that there is a concrete answer as to what causes it. The first time I would think tbad luck, the second time I would start to think genetics. Twinning woulod be enough of a reason for me to send her for a trailer ride.

dun

I am starting to agree to your way of thinking. We have had cattle for 23 years and have probably had 15 sets of twins. All healthy, one pair was rather small and stayed that way. In 06 we lost our only 2 sets of twins after the 15 healthy sets. This year we were down to 5 cows left to calve, out of 65, and she had the 2nd set. Dunno

CD

depending on whether the twins were identical or not it could be said with an educated guess if genetics played a role. If both sets were non identical, it means the cow has superovulated on both occasions, that could very likely be linked to genetics or at best hormonal imbalance.

If identical, it means there was only one egg each time and for some reason the fertilized egg split for one or other reason. This could be plain bad luck, or maybe the environment in the uterus could also have caused it.

can't speak for the first set of twins as i was out of town but this years set were identical bull caves from what i could tell, same white scrotum etc.. Still trying to decide if I should try to get her to "adopt" a 2 week old calf whose mom is still only feeding when she is locked up and fed otherwise she still kicks. Not sure I want to fight 2 battles with the calf being 2 weeks with her mom and the battle with the cow.

Latest posts