backward calf

Help Support CattleToday:

jerry27150

Reaction score
anyone ever have a backward calf with the hind feet up along side the calf's ribs & the calf had been dead for a while & was probabvly around 140 lbs. cow could not stand up so we could not get calf pushed in enough to turn. also he was already quite stiff.

jerry27150":2b4e4zsr said:
anyone ever have a backward calf with the hind feet up along side the calf's ribs & the calf had been dead for a while & was probabvly around 140 lbs. cow could not stand up so we could not get calf pushed in enough to turn. also he was already quite stiff.

Happened to us a couple times... but not that big a calf.

jerry27150":3v2qi3zs said:

Get a rope!.. :cboy:

Wow! Good luck. Sounds like she may have to be cut open. Did you get it out?

1848":1207wzj4 said:
jerry27150":1207wzj4 said:

Get a rope!.. :cboy:

Wow! Good luck. Sounds like she may have to be cut open. Did you get it out?

Imo.....I think he would be better to get a wire saw and cut that calf up... rather then opening the cow up..less risk of infection..Job for a vet.

jerry, have had one at 140 lbs., needed pulling, cow down for a day, but all ended well. Haven't had one that backwards and tangled. I'd go along with frenchie on this, get a wire saw then proceed.
Sorry to hear about this. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Katherine

we called vet & he didn't think he could get it unless she got up. so we figured we would eat her. after shooting her, i opened her up to let out guts & she had some foul smelling fluid just inside her hide. i think calf had been dead long enough to cause infection so we just buried her & calf. calf was so big & partly stiff so i see why we couldn't push him back in & get feet up

jerry27150":iq7gja1j said:
we called vet & he didn't think he could get it unless she got up.

you might want to consider a different vet. unless for some reason you didn't want a c-section, there's no reason he couldn't have done one with her down. he also should have been able to cut the calf up with her down.

I have to agree with txag. One way or another, that vet should have been able to help you.

txag":patbm5d9 said:
jerry27150":patbm5d9 said:
we called vet & he didn't think he could get it unless she got up.

you might want to consider a different vet. unless for some reason you didn't want a c-section, there's no reason he couldn't have done one with her down. he also should have been able to cut the calf up with her down.

Agree. Had a frank (jackknife) breech last week. I couldn't budge the calf to turn it. The vet worked for about 30 minutes and couldn't budge it. Used ropes to secure her on the ground on her back (with the aid of a spinal and some Rompum) and he extracted the calf by C-section. Calf was dead, but the heifer will live to walk through the sale ring. Small consolation, but better than digging a big grave.

I discussed C-sections with the vet the other day. His preference is going in through the top rather then the lower doen method which I think is more tradtional with range maggots. Of course he does a bunch of them and doesn;t really consider them much more serious then a really hard pull. Even thinks they may be easier on the cow then a hard pull because of possible nerve damage.

dun

dun":xwklfml0 said:
Grey wooley stinking things that are best used as coyote bait

dun

Help a DA out.. I still don't understand.

cherokeeruby":oel30obj said:
cows, cattle, bovines, ruminants.

Animals that live off the range. !!!

Thanks Ruby ..... I missed that.

Asked a Vet the other day to quote vaccinating a pasture for black leg(the local gov't wants to put a gas and sewer line across this property) .

$1.00 a shot + $.50 for the meds.

Take a dog to the Vet for a shot. It is amazing the difference.

Wewild":1eamlsau said:
cherokeeruby":1eamlsau said:

Animals that live off the range. !!! Or it could be sheep.

Thanks Ruby ..... I missed that.

Asked a Vet the other day to quote vaccinating a pasture for black leg(the local gov't wants to put a gas and sewer line across this property) .

$1.00 a shot + $.50 for the meds.

Take a dog to the Vet for a shot. It is amazing the difference.

I was wrong it is only sheep. :nod: :nod: :nod: :oops: :cry:

dun":2tn24sza said:
cherokeeruby":2tn24sza said:

Animals that live off the range. !!!

Only sheep

dun

Thanks Dun.....we don't have them here in a commercial application. Should have remembered them from the John Wayne movies.....

Never seen a JW movie that they refered to them. Of course I've only seen about three JW ,movies in my life.
That's just how wee've alwasy refered to them. Of coursse that's only 40 plus years so maybe I'll learn different some time. NAH, isn;t worth it.

dun

Latest posts