Backward calf Had it ok (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
I need to know if it is feet tips pointing down ok or is it up?

Got one calving right now and will let it be for just a little while but I think it is backwards. JHH

hope this helps

this is what the calf should be like coming out...you can see how the feet point
calf_correct.jpg

here are some incorrect positions
calf_incorrect.jpg

Ryan

soles of the hooves facing the ground is normal presentation, facing upwards usually is backwards...then however rare there is also the possibility for an upside down calf.

PS JHH read your PMs

Well that went quick. She just had the calf in the time I came in and posted and went back out.

The calf was backward but she had it ok and it is alive. :D

This is the last one till march. It has been a long two weeks.
I had one calve on thanksgiving and then another on pearl harbor day. It has been very cold here but today and the rest of the week is going to be warmer ( 40). I think I will try and get a pic.

Thanks for the quick response and answers. JHH

Pic548.jpg

Pic552.jpg

Not the best pics but I cant find the old camera. Still trying to figure out the new camera it takes awful pics. JHH

The cow with the calf in the background is the one with the thanksgiving calf. She also has a terrible udder but I didnt have any trouble with her.

Bull. Havent weighed him yet but he was plenty big.

That was her second calf. I had to help just a little but it was backwards. JHH

The Pearl Harbor baby ( bull )
Pic553.jpg

This one came on my moms b-day. (bull)
Pic545.jpg

Well thats all the new ones.

The cow that had the Thanksgiving baby is really an exceptional cow she had two calves this year one on Jan 8 and then this one on Thanksgiving. She just has a bad udder. Always raises a 600+ calf at weaning. JHH

for my camera i just leave it on auto all the time and press the button lightly for it to focus, then harder to snap the pic. when i first got it (and immediately threw away the directions) i was kind of disappointed b/c my pics were of such poor quality. i was mashing the button too hard and it was taking pics without time to focus. :roll:

JHH":1z572gt5 said:
The cow that had the Thanksgiving baby is really an exceptional cow she had two calves this year one on Jan 8 and then this one on Thanksgiving. She just has a bad udder. Always raises a 600+ calf at weaning. JHH

If she raises a 600 plus calf each year what is wrong with her udder? Maybe large teets? Otherwise, can't be too shabby.

Congrats, on a healthy calf with a tough birth. I do love the Herefords. Mine start coming in the end of Feb.

Alan

Hill Creek Farm":2lo97zlh said:
JHH, what is the sire of the calves?

herefordbullpic005.jpg

This is the sire of all the calves. He is out of an Arrow CL1 6137 son and the dam is out of an Explosion son and Tex Prime Time daughter. I sold him and replaced him, I had daughters that I kept. I am not set up that well to A-I all them but may be come spring. I am getting alot done around here and plan on A-I ing several. We did get a couple A-Ied but arent due till March.

Latest posts