back to the woods

Help Support CattleToday:

I think the heat pumps with a propane or natural gas backup instead of the electric heat strip work better.
Personally I like our wood stove for backup. I don't worry about either one coming on!
Bear

Heat pump is the only way to go, as long as you're in a moderate climate area. Very efficient at both heating and cooling until you get down below about 40 degrees Below 40, it has to use heat strips to help the unit heat enough, so you don't get much saving then.

bear":3p11izvq said:
I think the heat pumps with a propane or natural gas backup instead of the electric heat strip work better.
Personally I like our wood stove for backup. I don't worry about either one coming on!
Bear
To quote my ol' dad "I have cut and split my last dam stick of firewood". :nod:

circlew":3or6c51d said:
We had a guy down here that finally got electricity. When he got his first bill he took his ax and cut the meter off the house, took it to the power company and told them to get those poles off his place. Well they didn't come get the poles so he cut them off even with the ground! They didn't fall so he hooked the old tractor to them and pulled them down! The whole town didn't have power for two days!
he should have just ran a extention cord to his neighbors shed :mrgreen:

ALACOWMAN":2s4i5hvj said:
last time i was in texas, they had firewood for sale in bundles in front of convience stores :cowboy:
bammy they still do. Open it up and there's a couple of limbs, one stick of split wood and a shingle off the shyt house in the bundle for about $5.

Angus Cowman":1wouj1gs said:
novatech":1wouj1gs said:
Well I'll just go with ya'll and call it central heat.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I had friend that heated with wood and he set it up too his thermostat and ductwork and the blower on his heat/ac unit would circulate it thru the house it worked real slick
kept the whole house warm that way instead of just a room or too
but he also was a HVAC guy so it wasn't nothing hard for him to do

I did the same when I lived in the Alabama mountains. All I did was use a Buck stove insert and ran my A/C fan only. The intake was in the same room as the fireplace and it kept the house toasty.

TexasBred":2732vhrc said:
ALACOWMAN":2732vhrc said:
last time i was in texas, they had firewood for sale in bundles in front of convience stores :cowboy:
bammy they still do. Open it up and there's a couple of limbs, one stick of split wood and a shingle off the shyt house in the bundle for about $5.
best deal on fire wood here, is to make a run up to amish country with a trailer.... cheap

Burned a lot of wood, kept the thermostat on about sixty when we are there and fifty at night and when we are gone. My power bill for December was 122 and change and this last one was 144. And we had lights on the house at Christmas. We also have electric blankets on the beds so we don't really need the heat at night. This last cold spell, we were very comfie. All you have to do is put on a sweater. I don't heat the rooms I don't use. Keep the dampers shut in the den and spare bedroom.

I should imagine that the next bill will be higher, but I was really pleased with the last two.

Yeah, I can't wait to see what the heat bill will look like after the month we've had.

It's supposed to get up into the seventies next week for several days. I'm so looking forward to it. People from my part of the world aint used to this stuff.

Lammie":1o94f8an said:
Yeah, I can't wait to see what the heat bill will look like after the month we've had.

It's supposed to get up into the seventies next week for several days. I'm so looking forward to it. People from my part of the world aint used to this stuff.

Remember, the same insulation will keep your AC bills down AND help with the heat.

Latest posts