Back problems.

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
Had to go to Dr. today with back problems. He said I had a bulging disc that was pressing on a nerve. Lot of pain in my left leg. Dr. said to take it easy for a few days and put ice packs on it. Have to go back Monday morning for more treatments.

I did not tell him I was going to work 60 cows and 40 calves tomorrow by myself. Some things they do not need to know.

Any tips to help keep me going. I know many of you probably have had some of the same problems.

I have back problems and the doc suggested ibuprofen to take the swelling out, prescription dose is 800 mg. It helped and could really tell a difference when I took only 400 mg. There are some exercises that help strethgen the lower back muscles that give it more support, they helped me a lot.

LRTX1":3b2y3l6o said:
Could always go the Beam and Percoset route

Tried that but can't work cattle when I do. Seem to keep trying to castrate the heifers. :cry2:
Tom, I will ask about the exercises when I go back on Monday. Already taking 800mg 400 times a day.

Ibuprofen 800's with cyclobenzaprine 10mg (muscle relaxer) topped off with a tramadol 50mg (painkiller) takes the edge off for me. Also try to sleep on your back with pillows under your knees. When my back gets bad I use ice followed with heat. Allmost forgot good old asprin helps to.

i go to the doc 4 my bak 2morrow.been killing me 4 over a month.can barely walk and my son has been doing all the chores.2 weeks ago i had to b @ some fights that i promote but i could barely walk.had 2 take 4 percocet.4 flexaril,2 naproxin and about 4 or 5 beers @ the fights.i was up on my feet 4 about 8 hrs and got around pretty good but i sur felt it the next day.go 4 an mri n the mornin.glad too i am sick of this BS.

piedmontese":2y5kdz5k said:
i go to the doc 4 my bak 2morrow.been killing me 4 over a month.can barely walk and my son has been doing all the chores.2 weeks ago i had to b @ some fights that i promote but i could barely walk.had 2 take 4 percocet.4 flexaril,2 naproxin and about 4 or 5 beers @ the fights.i was up on my feet 4 about 8 hrs and got around pretty good but i sur felt it the next day.go 4 an mri n the mornin.glad too i am sick of this BS.

You are lucky to be alive after that cocktail. Better find another treatment. Have you had any injections in you back yet. My Sister gets one every few months and it helps her a lot.

For a point of reference even when my back is totally shot a vicodin and a flexoril will get me dancing. You really do need another tactic.

kenny thomas":2fz6o7yr said:
LRTX1":2fz6o7yr said:
Could always go the Beam and Percoset route

Tried that but can't work cattle when I do. Seem to keep trying to castrate the heifers. :cry2:
Tom, I will ask about the exercises when I go back on Monday. Already taking 800mg 400 times a day.

Ask about Aleve its works better for some people.

KT

Have similar problems with bulging discs. Something that helps me is using an inversion table. Found a like new one on craigslist for about half price. Got an upper level model for the economy model price. When my back starts bothering me I just go "hang out". Usually do it while watching TV. Stay upright during the show and invert during the commercials. It lets your spine decompress which should take some pressure off the disc. Start with short duration and minimum angle and increase both as you adjust to it.

Would suggest googling "inversion table reviews" to see what others think about various models/brands as there are some things that make them more comfortable/user friendly.

Just another 2 cents worth.

the only thing i can tell you is get a good heavy back brace an wear it working cows an calves.an watch have to take steps so you dont turn twist or bind your back.

I am a firm believer in physical therapy- I went for years in debilitating pain till I tried it. Now I just have bad spells that I can get straightened back out.
Go and find out how to do the exercises correctly(and so you don't worry about working thru increased pain) and then do them religiously and it will make a HUGE difference.

I broke my back years ago and have constantly dealt with things getting out of whack.
I have compaction fractures one one side of three discs- which gives me constant bulging disks issues.
At one point I lost all feeling (except pain) in my leg- I exercised(mostly stretches) that one away
Another time I lost feeling in my arm(except the pain) and I stretched that one away too.

The best therapy for me is exercising in a pool- that will get me going again almost right away and I just have to do it 2-3 times a week to maintain function.

Howdyjabo":ppvs6ujv said:
I am a firm believer in physical therapy- I went for years in debilitating pain till I tried it. Now I just have bad spells that I can get straightened back out.
Go and find out how to do the exercises correctly(and so you don't worry about working thru increased pain) and then do them religiously and it will make a HUGE difference.

I broke my back years ago and have constantly dealt with things getting out of whack.
I have compaction fractures one one side of three discs- which gives me constant bulging disks issues.
At one point I lost all feeling (except pain) in my leg- I exercised(mostly stretches) that one away
Another time I lost feeling in my arm(except the pain) and I stretched that one away too.

The best therapy for me is exercising in a pool- that will get me going again almost right away and I just have to do it 2-3 times a week to maintain function.
well since you have tobe in the pool that much i hope you built 1 at home an heated it.

I suffer in the winter and just do the regular exercises in the house
In the summer I have a rich neighbor that works during the day with a pool :)

Its a great trade- before I had little kids, so they would get to play for an hour and I would exercise- and the owner would come home to a clean pool cause I'd make the kids clean it :)
Now I have to clean it myself- it only takes a few minutes and its MUCH cheaper and less headaches than owning a pool.

my back is bad as well,thankfully i dont have bulging discs in my back.sometimes i hurt to the point i threaten to get a hottub.but thinking bout dropping $7000 on a new 1 i come to my senses.

I think the cool water does more good for me than hot water.
I have thought about buying one of those blue blow up pools and putting it in a cheap greenhouse for year round exercising.

Another thing to consider is your calcium/magnesium levels- if they get off on me that will trigger an acute attack. Long story on how I figured that one out.

kenny thomas":24mmmf83 said:
Had to go to Dr. today with back problems. He said I had a bulging disc that was pressing on a nerve. Lot of pain in my left leg. Dr. said to take it easy for a few days and put ice packs on it. Have to go back Monday morning for more treatments.

I did not tell him I was going to work 60 cows and 40 calves tomorrow by myself. Some things they do not need to know.

Any tips to help keep me going. I know many of you probably have had some of the same problems.

I have arthritis in my hips due to a wreck with a green broke horse a number of years ago. I don't know if any of this will help you or not, but I figure it's worth a try. When (if) your back starts tightening up, spread your feet apart about hip distance, put your hands on your knees and bend over kind of sticking your butt out and kind of letting your back arch downward. It will stretch out the muscles in your lower back and hips and help with the pain. Try not to sit a lot - sitting aggravates a bad back. When you come in at night or at lunch, lay on the floor and put your feet and lower legs in the seat of a chair/sofa/dining room chair - any piece of furniture that allows your legs to bend naturally at the knee - it will allow your back to relax, help align it, and help alleviate the pain. If you have to stand for any length of time, think about keeping a block of wood or step stool (depending on where your standing) handy and put one foot up on it. It will help take pressure off your lower back and hips. A really good ice pack can be made by thoroughly soaking a hand towel, folding it to fit in a zip lock bag, squeezing all the air out, and freezing it. That way you can lay on it comfortably. Make sure you have a good thick pillow either under your knees, or between your knees if you're a side sleeper when you go to bed at night, and DO NOT sleep on your stomach. It does the same thing as the feet/legs in the sofa/chair seat. You might also try rolling up a regular sized bath towel and putting it under your neck at night instead of sleeping on a pillow. (A lot of times pillows tend to be to firm or to soft and will throw your spine out of alignment leading to problems the next morning.) The pillow will help keep your spine aligned and take pressure off your back. Tylenol does nothing for inflammation. Ibuprofen, aspirin, and I believe Aleve will relieve inflammation as well as pain. Be careful with heat. It increases blood flow, but it also increases inflammation. All I can think of right now. I hope it helps.

If the doctor you are going to is a chiropractor, ask him about the natural muscle relaxer. It might help you. Mineral ice works pretty good for alleviating pain if you can stand the smell. Another thing to consider is Sombra. It has no smell, has been on the market for a while now, and works really well for alleviating pain.

Thanks to all who have posted or called. I am trying many of the things suggested and feel a lot better.
Worked 60 cows, 6 bulls, and 30 calves today by myself. Feel tired but not hurting any worse than before.
Going back to the chiropractor on Monday. He seems to really help.
Got to get better, cow trading is in full swing. Everyone wants to buy when they are high. :banana: