Back problems.

Help Support CattleToday:

I am 205lb and actually went to sleep while they were doing it. That was the best part though.
MRI showed a lot of things wrong. 1 herniated discs, 2 buldging discs, severe disc degeneration on 2 discs, and a bunch of other stuff that I do not know what it means. They told me when I left the hospital that they would let me know in a few days and then my Dr. called within an hour.
Refering me to a neuroligist(sp) for possible surgery. I don't think so yet. We will see.
Almost hay season.

Well its not going to get any better thats for sure. But if they cut on you your thru for the season. I would try to tuff it out if you want to work this hay season. If you get your back fixed listen to the doctor and don't work!! Good Luck

K T - My thoughts & prayers are with you as you wrestle with the decision of what to do.....been there, done that - If you are having radiculapathy, just remember what I said earlier about not being able to repair the nerves - Some thing are better NOT to put off, however each case is unique - I know I'm a couple of states away but if you want another opinion, I already know who to go to in SC.

Odd thing is when I got up this morning I had only a very little pain. I was in such a good mood and drove over an hour to get the MRI done with no pain. As I said I went to sleep while they were doing it. Drove back and stopped at the cattle market with the intent of buying a few since I felt good. Just before the sale started I got the call. Really a downer.
My thoughts now is if it will work out I am not going to be cut on until at least fall. Then the cows can graze until late Feb and I should be ok by then. Guess I will see what the Dr says. I am going to get more than one opinion if the insurance will allow it.

kenny thomas":22uyy5f9 said:
Odd thing is when I got up this morning I had only a very little pain. I was in such a good mood and drove over an hour to get the MRI done with no pain. As I said I went to sleep while they were doing it. Drove back and stopped at the cattle market with the intent of buying a few since I felt good. Just before the sale started I got the call. Really a downer.
My thoughts now is if it will work out I am not going to be cut on until at least fall. Then the cows can graze until late Feb and I should be ok by then. Guess I will see what the Dr says. I am going to get more than one opinion if the insurance will allow it.
do not put off going under the knife,talk to your dr an see how long you will be down.an then make your mind up.i know you have haying coming up,but if your back starts hurting an doesnt stop.youll be begging to get it over with.

There are 3 friends of mine in this area that all decided to do the surgery. All 3 say they wish they would have done it sooner. At least they had something that can be repaired with surgery.

Been there dun that. The herniated disc, and bulging disc they can fix, maybe. But the degenerative disc and arthritis in the lower back can't be fixed. Surgery can fix the pain most the time. Good Luck

highgrit":1v4z31cf said:
Been there dun that. The herniated disc, and bulging disc they can fix, maybe. But the degenerative disc and arthritis in the lower back can't be fixed. Surgery can fix the pain most the time. Good Luck
It;s the pinched spinal coard in the bottom half of the back is what they can;t seem to do anything about. Had a dog with the problem and they took to tops off of the vertabrae and that fixed her, mentioned that to the doc and he about had a kitten.

I pretty much get ignored every time I bring it up(and I did bring it up earlier in this thread) but I'll offer again in case anyone is desperate enough to try it... beestings are a God-send when your pain gets out of control. A few stings around whichever disk is the problem can really help. It's not a placebo effect either as a few people that I know have discovered it on accident.

cow pollinater":usmz7h5c said:
I pretty much get ignored every time I bring it up(and I did bring it up earlier in this thread) but I'll offer again in case anyone is desperate enough to try it... beestings are a God-send when your pain gets out of control. A few stings around whichever disk is the problem can really help. It's not a placebo effect either as a few people that I know have discovered it on accident.

Dad used to use bees for his arthiritis, he would catch some and let them sting the joints that where hurting.

kenny thomas":8vf3f7a9 said:
Not getting any better. X-rays shows the bottom two disc's are gone. MRI scheduled for Monday morning. Got to get some relief.
chenocetah, I have not been told about your option so I will ask about it. Sure would be a lot better that major surgery.

Well Kenny if they are gonna cut on you get a nuerosurgeon to do the work.In 1986 I had em work on L-5-S-1 and all in all it was a good move that I put off too long. To this day the outside portion of my right foot is numb. Just waited to long....Also get the doc to write you a script for a hospital bed, if you have the surgury. Those motorrized contraptions are a godsend after getting cut on...They come out and set up the bed where you want it, and come take it away when your finished...Trust me on this....it makes a big difference, because for 2 to 3 weeks after they cut on you, your back has a mind of its own. That bed will help you to get up and also you can put that pee jug you got in the hospital on the side and your set for biz. Otherwise you will be in your normal bed, needing to get up in the middle of the night to make that bathroom trip and your little ol back is gonna say, "sorry you been pushing it all day, and now you aint going nowhere." Good luck

Well good news today, met with nuerosurgeon today with the worst expectations even thought I had felt better the last cople of days. After a good exam and looking at the MRI he told me the disc had already ruptured. I thought oh no. He said the damage was already done and he did not recomend surgery. Said it might give me trouble again or never have any more problem. He said with surgery I would have about a 3 month recovery period and still might have just as much pain. What a relief. Told me to do whatever I felt like doing with no restrictions. Came home and ran a chainsaw for 4 hours and although tired am not hurting. Told him I also wanted to be 18 again but he did not think that was funny. :banana:

kenny thomas":3si38xxg said:
Well good news today, met with nuerosurgeon today with the worst expectations even thought I had felt better the last cople of days. After a good exam and looking at the MRI he told me the disc had already ruptured. I thought oh no. He said the damage was already done and he did not recomend surgery. Said it might give me trouble again or never have any more problem. He said with surgery I would have about a 3 month recovery period and still might have just as much pain. What a relief. Told me to do whatever I felt like doing with no restrictions. Came home and ran a chainsaw for 4 hours and although tired am not hurting. Told him I also wanted to be 18 again but he did not think that was funny. :banana:

As mentioned previously, find a targeted stretching/strengthening program that you can follow.
Do it everyday (we're only talking 10-15 minutes) It will decrease your chances 1000fold of frequent recurrance of pain, and potentially prevent damage to adjacent discs. Once you start losing them, it puts more stress on everything else. It sounds silly, but also increase your fluid intake. It helps to keep things more elastic, and helps your body better utilize minerals, especially calcuim & magnesium. They're both important to bone & joint health.
Good Luck with the season!

cottagefarm, they gave me a book to follow that describes a lot of what you recomend. I am pretty active and have to pass a fitness test each year for my job so that will help anyway.
As for fluids I almost never drink soda but a lot of gatorade and such.
Maybe a little crown with my coffee wold help? :D

my back was in bad shape a few years ago. i could be walking along and sneeze and my left leg would tingle as if it was asleep. when it was really kicking bad i coudnt walk standing straight i walked leaning sideways. i went to Dr's had prescriptions x-rays was given exercises to do etc. even had some kind of steroid shot in my back. nothing worked they was talking about surgery. i told them only way i would take surgery was if i got where i could not walk.
finally i throwed away the pills because they was not working stopped messing with the exercises because they was not working. i started paying attention to how i sat how i walked and what i lifted. i went back to what i was told in school years ago about good posture. when driving i make sure i sit straight up in the seat same as when sitting at the house. i make sure when i am walking i walk standing straight up with my head up instead of slouching. when i am riding in a vehicle i remove my wallet from my pocket so i am sitting square on the seat. when i am working and my back starts letting me know its had enough i stop take a break or leave it until tomorrow. far as lifting something heavy if i cant get some help i leave it. my back isnt perfect but doesnt bother me like it had been. i just learned to know my limits and shut down when it lets me know its had enough.

Latest posts