Back again

Help Support CattleToday:

Karin

Reaction score
Just stopping by for a little visit and to say hello to you all. :wave:

Had a great summer working for the university in with the rangeland research group. Did a lot of things, been to a lot of places I've never been before and would love to visit again, and seen a lot of cattle. I also had the opportunity, if I can call it that on here, to really get into things and learn how to build fences. One of the things, besides soil coring and doing plant ID on native rangelands, was having to help build exclosures for range studies on disturbances to plant communities, primarily via grazing, and as part of a project in measuring carbon levels in grazing lands. Mostly I was on the university's two main ranches, but I also got to travel to a bunch of different areas in southern Alberta as well, like Cypress Hills, the Onefour station next to the US/Canada border, the really windy prairies around Lethbridge and Medicine Hat, the southern area of the rocky mountain grazing reserve west of Pincher Creek and right near the border to British Columbia, in the foothills of Granum and Stavely, and other beautiful spots around the southern region of the province. I got to drive one of the fleet trucks too (a nice big Chevy Silverado ;-) ) for quite a bit and got so used to it I often confused the controls in my car for the controls in the truck, lol. That after I got rid of my graduated driver's license and am on a full-on Class 5.

Oh and I got pictures. I think I took well over a thousand photos over this summer. Scenery, flowers, cows, pronghorn, insects, the usual. No snakes, didn't see any rattlers when I was down south though I was told they were in the abundance. My luck, maybe?

School has gone well. I'm in my last semester taking my last two courses before I can finally get my BSc and move on to something more than just school.

Hope you all have been well. Nice to be back for a short visit. :)

Sounds like a good summer to me. You spent a whole lot of time in the south for a "northerner".. you have a drawl yet? Welcome back :)

Here's a few just to give you a taste:

IMG_0237_zps2b317284.jpg

Foothills at Granum

IMG_3501_zps1a959868.jpg

Angus cattle at Mattheis

IMG_3605_zps6e53fd13.jpg

Crossbred pairs of Kinsella research ranch

IMG_0338_zps8482bf23.jpg

Landscape at the Kinsella ranch

IMG_5240_zps0077c642.jpg

IMG_5280_zps416ee4e0.jpg

Pairs and scenery on the Rumsey grazing reserve north of Drumheller, AB

IMG_0429_zps79c87f84.jpg

Steers on the Onefour station

Yes, that's for sure. The second pic was taken in mid May while the cows and calves were still on their winter pasture, they were getting hay before they got turned out to fresh pasture I think a week or two after this pic was taken.

Onefour was nothing but hot and dry...we drove by the sacrifice area which is why it looks a bit beat up in that pic. A couple people came out on their quads and rounded up the animals while me and a couple other colleagues were working in the field doing plant ID and clippings and moved them to there. Most likely to sell them, but I couldn't know. I did get a good look at them before they were gathered up and they looked the size and weight ready to go to the feedlot.

Hey Karin !! Sounds like things are going well for you , thanks so much for the update :D

Btw I used to live in Granum when we were first married , do not miss it except for the Chinooks .

Keep in touch and good luck with your last semester of uni . :tiphat:

To be young again, and to have before you the opportunities you have.

God bless and teach us a little something and share your adventures from time to time.

Thanks all.

I have some more pictures to share.

IMG_3994_zpsaa424794.jpg

Mountain shooting star flowers

IMG_3686_zps76d0c25c.jpg

Bittern at Mattheis (there are a lot of wetlands in Mattheis ranch thanks to Ducks Unlimited)

IMG_3619_zps28bc097f.jpg

Prairie Crocus

IMG_4177_zps92f7252c.jpg

Little Marsh wren also at Mattheis

IMG_3945_zpsb3699c42.jpg

Mountains west of Pincher Creek when me and a few others were laying down litter bags for carbon studies in native grasslands

IMG_4337_zps8c757c53.jpg

Scarlet mallow

IMG_4330_zps245161a7.jpg

Pincushion cactus flower came up after a previous rain

IMG_3109_zps79e6db8a.jpg

Pronghorn antelope

IMG_3504_zps0bfb5c5e.jpg

Sharp-tailed grouse (I think...)

IMG_3351_zps4f6cdff5.jpg

Yellow-headed blackbird

IMG_3785_zps653a2dd5.jpg

Feisty ruddy duck

IMG_4844_zpse1bd6c9f.jpg

Amazing thunderstorm on the prairies

IMG_0444_zpsdf19659b.jpg

Trip outside of Drumheller just near the hoodoos site

IMG_4445_zps5f619f42.jpg

"Rare" triple flower on a pincushion cactus.

I also forgot to mention I found a couple of deer antlers on two different occasions--one's intact and the other I found in two pieces--on the same ranch. I think it's from the same deer, but I can't tell. I can tell (I think) both are from a six-point mule deer.

Welcome back. !!!!! If I lived and/or worked in all that beauty I wouldn't bother with CT either. ;-) Great pics and great to have you back.

Oh my GOSH Karin!!! Such beautiful photos!! Just gorgeous. Some of those are postcard/poster worthy!

It sounds like you have been quite busy and enjoying what you've been doing. I sure am glad you've had time to "stop in" again for a little while.

Thanks. :) I've been pretty lucky to have my camera handy at some of the things I've been able to see. If not my big Canon, then my iPhone has taken some pretty amazing photos as well. The very first one I posted on this thread, for instance, was with my phone.

Latest posts