baby sitting

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5

Reaction score
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
Ive had a string of calves born In the last few weeks and babysitter seems to get changed out pretty quick. This year it has been very consistent with the newest mama being the baby sitter .

The funny thing to me is how the age groups of calves stick together. Last summer we had 2 calves born late March and one about a month later. Then had a second group of three born about a month after that. The older calves hung out together in one group, and the (only-slightly-younger) calves hung out/played in a discrete group.

M-5":3shji9cb said:
Ive had a string of calves born In the last few weeks and babysitter seems to get changed out pretty quick. This year it has been very consistent with the newest mama being the baby sitter .

Makes sense that the newest mom would be the most reluctant to leave the newborn calf.

TennesseeTuxedo":3bwx1zav said:
M-5":3bwx1zav said:

Makes sense that the newest mom would be the most reluctant to leave the newborn calf.

That is the case most of the time . funny thing is the heifer that I grafted the calf on for a few days didn't want to give up her baby sitting duty and she stay for a couple days with the heard boss when she had hers

I have seen my bull taking a few turns at babysitting this spring. He will be laid up with 8-10 babies scattered around him, mommas off grazing out of sight. He licks on babies more than I've ever noticed by a bull.

OleScout":vnid6zt6 said:
I have seen my bull taking a few turns at babysitting this spring. He will be laid up with 8-10 babies scattered around him, mommas off grazing out of sight. He licks on babies more than I've ever noticed by a bull.

Ive had older bulls do that
young ones only have one thing on their mind

My current bull Hector was definitely the babysitter at his old place.. apparently Marko (the one that got traded) is the same.. plays with the calves, they can head butt him, etc and he just stands there

M-5":3vd8yct8 said:
OleScout":3vd8yct8 said:

Ive had older bulls do that
young ones only have one thing on their mind
X2!

When my buddy got one of my cows, she was the designated babysitter for the first year until she made her spot in the herd

OleScout":1mfoij0q said:
Gotta wash the dishes once in a while...that's A lota women to keep happy....

Latest posts