Gonna have an "oops" baby.

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver":25f31c8u said:
TCRanch":25f31c8u said:
Any updates, Silver?

My pair is still in the barnyard, she refuses to leave & join the herd. Little concerned she's not producing enough for such a big calf because he's always nursing but I'm going to pull him early anyway to give her time to recoup and he seems very healthy/bunky otherwise.

Glad to hear he's healthy. We had to put ours down. He never showed much sign of life, had some weird symptoms. Never could stand. Oh well, the mother is fine and may even breed back in time.
The other heifer still has a way to go. We have the three heifers in the barnyard as well, along with a lame bull and another bull that didn't seem to want to work. One of the prospective mothers got bred the other day, so obviously she wasn't as pregnant as I thought she was, and the bull has more libido than I thought he did lol.
Dang, I'm sorry to hear that! Although good news on the bull with the questionable libido.
Barely got a pic of Oops Baby running & bucking today.

Thought I'd give an update on my little Oops Baby. He'll be 6 months in a couple days and a chunky, healthy boy. Didn't wean him in Oct with the others, mainly because I'm fairly certain my little mama didn't breed back before I pulled the bulls. But I'm actually fine with that because she'll (hopefully) get bred with the rest of the herd when I turn the bulls out next May and be back on track, plus it will give her a chance to grow a little more.
Mama on the left, photo bomber in the middle, Oops Baby on the right.

My two oops mommas collaborated to raise the surviving calf. The calf was weaned with the rest of the calf crop and both mommas bred back to calve with the rest of the herd this coming spring. Sometimes things do work out.

last one I had the momma bred back and caught up with the rest of the herd, but never turned out to be a great cow.. I think she shipped out at 5 years old

Initially I thought my little girl bred back, had her due 6/6/19. But the bulls were showing an interest, hanging around when I had to pull them prior to weaning (actually used her as bait to catch them). Then two weeks ago a couple of my cows were all over her. Little disappointed at first but I recently sold all my late calvers (summer/early fall) because my goal is to get back to only Spring calving. Had she bred back it would have defeated my purpose. For her age & size she's raising a huge calf and she's so easy that I don't mind her essentially taking a year off.

Good that everything turned our well.
We had two early calvings before, both calved at 15months age. One had a very small heifer and calved well. Then she did one year break herself and went inheat only next year... Never missed a year later and raised one of the best calves, and had very big calving abilities.She weighed 1300lbs after weaning her 4th calf. Left her first daughter and second. The first grew into smaller cow, but the second is way bigger.
Second heifer had abit bigger heifer, so had to assist. Have kept her separate from the bull until her herdmates were ready to be bred for the first time. She is a good cow and calves okay herself. Left her first daughter too. Grew into a very nice cow and should weigh over 1300lbs for sure. Have another daughter calving with her first calf in spring and she seems to be growing bigger than her dam and full sister.

Initially I thought my little girl bred back, had her due 6/6/19. But the bulls were showing an interest, hanging around when I had to pull them prior to weaning (actually used her as bait to catch them). Then two weeks ago a couple of my cows were all over her. Little disappointed at first but I recently sold all my late calvers (summer/early fall) because my goal is to get back to only Spring calving. Had she bred back it would have defeated my purpose. For her age & size she's raising a huge calf and she's so easy that I don't mind her essentially taking a year off.
Did you end up keeping this cow?

Did you end up keeping this cow?
I did! Her Oops baby was born 6/4/18. Held her back and she had a heifer 3/19/20. Another heifer this year, 2/27/21 (she was the 6th to calve this year, 1 week before her due date). My little teenage preg mama has turned into a great cow and raises a very nice calf. I'll have to get updated pics of her.