Bottle baby now

Help Support CattleToday:

papavillars

Reaction score
I had one of my best cows have a 96 pound calf. He was so big I thought he was one born last week to another cow. They were back in the woods and mom came and I saw him nurse. Poor mom looked wore out. Then it started raining and rained all day with heavy lightning. That evening the calf was forty acres away from mom and just laying there. My wife and I herded the mom up to the baby, penned her in temp panels and she would not let the calf nurse. Watched them for a couple hours . Mom has rejected baby. I am due to fly out in two days. Luckily they built a new tractor supply eight miles away. I figure to buy some colostrum and then take him to the sale barn which is located not even a mile from the store. The assistant manager had to go in back to get the colostrum and asked what was going on . She said they raise goats and have to bottle feed quite often. She then asked if they could raise the calf. I said let me keep them penned tonight and I will call you tomorrow. We were able to bottle feed him a couple bottles of colostrum, but mom ignored him. The cow looked awful head hung down , placenta not passed. Called vet and he said he had to make a call in the area and he would pick her up and watch her for a couple of days till I can return. Put her in the corral, miss jen came and picked up the calf. Went back to check on the cow and she had broken out of the corral. She detsroyed an old gate. Now in 100 acres of deep woods. Search all day, it is Sunday and cannot even find a trace of her. I just gotta hope she makes it. I return the next Friday, and sure enough she is grazing in a small patch of Alamo switch grass I planted last fall. I open another gate and she comes docile as can be. Dang cows will drive you crazy.