Baby Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Twin Springs

Reaction score
I have a cow that just lost her calf. The calf was 5 days old. I have been bottle feeding a different calf. Does anyone have any tips to get the cow and calf to bond. I placed a huge amount of the hide from the dead calf onto the other one. The cow seems to grunt at the calf especially if you get close to it. I also noticed the cow ran off some of the other cattle from the calf. The calf I am trying to get the cow to take is about 4 weeks old. I think the cow pretty much is protective of the calf, however I am having trouble getting the calf to nurse from the cow. It did once today while the cow was in a head gate. Any help would be appreciated.

I have the cow and calf in a pen. I went and checked on them to find the hide almost off of the calf. I fixed it back. I am ok to leave the calf in the same section of the pen or should I put the calf in the barn?

Twin Springs":qnamfgu5 said:
I have the cow and calf in a pen. I went and checked on them to find the hide almost off of the calf. I fixed it back. I am ok to leave the calf in the same section of the pen or should I put the calf in the barn?

I would try leaving the hide off of the calf, if the cow has started to bond with the calf the hide may be more of a problem then good ( it is probably getting ripe about now also )

You may have to let the calf nurse a few more times. If it takes putting the cow it the chute, and it might, it will be worth the extra effort. I honestly believe that being nursed releases some sort of chemical or triggers something else because I've never had one that wouldn't take a new calf as long as the calf nurses a few times.

Latest posts