Baby calf eye problems

Help Support CattleToday:

dustinsullivan33

Reaction score
This calf is a week & a half old. Its right eye started draining & developing a blue "film/cloud" over it about 3 days after birth. Then the left followed a couple of days later. The right eye now looks like it's getting better as the cloud/film looks to be disappearing. It's seems to have no vision at all currently or maybe limited visibility in its right eye. I have pics but unable to post them.
What is this condition? Medications? Thanks in advance.

dustinsullivan33 said:
This calf is a week & a half old. Its right eye started draining & developing a blue "film/cloud" over it about 3 days after birth. Then the left followed a couple of days later. The right eye now looks like it's getting better as the cloud/film looks to be disappearing. It's seems to have no vision at all currently or maybe limited visibility in its right eye. In the attached pics the left eye is the completely blue one.
What is this condition? Medications? Thanks in advance.

I think you have to have a certain amount of posts before you can post pictures.

It sounds like pinkeye. But that's awful young to develop in a calf so fast. I think la200 works well for pinkeye. But perhaps someone who knows more will be along momentarily...
Maybe talk to your vet as well b4 making any rash decisions. I am NOT a vet

MurraysMutts said:
It sounds like pinkeye. But that's awful young to develop in a calf so fast. I think la200 works well for pinkeye. But perhaps someone who knows more will be along momentarily...
Maybe talk to your vet as well b4 making any rash decisions. I am NOT a vet

Thank you. I agree on the early age which is why I can't quite figure it out... I've dealt with pinkeye through the years & this seems different.

Did he get sufficient Clostrum at Birth? I had a calf once, that the cow appeared to have died having it, and It was day 3 when I got the calf given to me, the calf was about dead. Anyway I noticed his eyes were blue and he wouldn't blink and when he was strong enough to walk he'd run Into things. So i gave him several doses of Clostrum and his eyes returned to normal and he was able to see, just fine, within a few days.. He lived and I sold him when he was 9 months old.

I had a calf with similar issues but just really weepy, goopy eyes. I bought a tube of Terramycin eye antibiotic ointment, applied a few times a day, he's all good now!

Latest posts