Ayrshire Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
When is the last time anyone saw Ayrshires? We had about 30 head back in the 60's in the dairy and they were pretty good cows. Just wondering where they went?

MikeC":hdxmexea said:
When is the last time anyone saw Ayrshires? We had about 30 head back in the 60's in the dairy and they were pretty good cows. Just wondering where they went?

Don't rightly know.....but I wouldn't mind having one....a good gurnsey either for that matter! ;-) :cboy:

They had an Ayrshire show at Ft. Worth this year. They had about 30 or 40 head show. Some good looking dairy cattle.

About 40 years ago when I was working on my uncle's farm we had a neighbor who milked about 35 Ayrshires. Good looking cattle and real hardy. Don't see too many around anymore.

There are a few Ayrshire herds in SE Minnesota. They are making a small come back due to the move towards grass based dairying. While they will not produce like a Holstein on TMR, like the Jersey, the Ayrshire are a smaller hardier cow which breeds back sooner. There is also some cross breeding to Swedish Reds - - which I believe have some Ayrshire in the background.

Our milk cow is a PB Brown Swiss, but her 2yr old daughter is out of a PB Ayreshire bull. She looks just like the Brown Swiss, but not as quiet as the old cow. Real well put up and good feet though.

Latest posts