Average Daily Gain

Help Support CattleToday:

I think it would be better to buy open yearling heifers in the fall and finish them just before their second birthday. At that point they have grown enough frame to finish out quickly and a lot of times they will bring the same price as a calf a year younger. I when feeding out animals on full feed, I would limit the amount of hay they are given as high levels of fiber don't work help digesting the starch in corn.

No, brewer's grain has a higher level of protein When beer is brewed maltase converts starch to sugar which yeast convert into alcohol. All the protein and minerals in the grain remain, so the percentage of protein in the grain is increased. Because the mineral levels are higher, I would add some oyster shell to balance the calcium to phosphorus ratio and act as an antacid.
Yep! Guy down here grows out 900-1000 calves a year, and this is his main ingredient. He doesn't have any grass on his 1500 acres, othern than in his horsae pastures. He cvuts about 400 acres of grain sorghum that he puts in silage pits. Plus he has a contract , since they opened in 1990, to haul off the spent mash from the Budweiser plant here. He has chicken houses himself, and cleans out chicken houses for other growers. And he gets all the cotton seed and gin trash from the gin close by. He will not have anything to do with hay....said when he was growing up, his daddy cut 150 acres of bermuda 4 times a year, and he and his brother had to haul it all and stack it in barns, and he vowed when he got old enough to leave home, he'd never touch another bale again! His 400 head of Corriente eat silage....no pasture and no hay. When he weans the calves at 6 mos, they go in his feed lots, where they are fed a mix of the silage, the spent mash, chicken litter and cotton seed for 120 days. This is a high protein mix for growth. After 120 days, he send them to an Oklahoma feed lot, where they are fed out n corn for 120 days. Corn is carbs, and adds the fat and marbling. He has a contract with a high-end steak chain to provide CAB Prime beef.

@BigBear56 If you are buying them at 500-600 lbs, start with feeding high protein, like the brewer's grain, or a commercial high-protein feed, then pour the corn to them for the last 90-120 days til you slaughter them.

I think it would be better to buy open yearling heifers in the fall and finish them just before their second birthday. At that point they have grown enough frame to finish out quickly and a lot of times they will bring the same price as a calf a year younger. I when feeding out animals on full feed, I would limit the amount of hay they are given as high levels of fiber don't work help digesting the starch in corn.
Same in this part of the world. 7-800# heifers are the cheapest thing going.

I've considered buying 20-25 at those weights and turning a bull in with them for 60 days. Blood test them, sell the breds second or third stage, feed out the opens for freezer beef or just sell as fats. Have yet to pull the trigger though.