Replacement Heifer Gain Target ?

Help Support CattleToday:

ddd75":1na0l3dx said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1na0l3dx said:
ddd - you are over the top - LOL
Some people make what they think is good money with no management, that's great.
But, on this forum, we try to emphasize the "right" way of doing things. There are many "right" ways. What's good for one farm is not good for another.
I don't feed CAKE or TUBS or CUBES or GRAIN to my cows, but I do feed top notch mineral ($30/bag), and I will venture to guess I can make more profit (sale price less yearly cost of cow) off 1 weaned heifer calf than you make off of 8 calves. I am not trying to brag, just trying to put things in perspective when you say " I've made a lot of money with cattle and don't need any advice or approval".
Like I said, profit can be made, it's a matter of what method.

in 2015 I had 2 checks in hand totaling $230,000.00 from cattle, most of that pure profit.

If you make good money with your cattle, I'm very happy for you.

Triple d, this statement here. You have my attention good sir. Would you consider expounding further upon how you were able to attain the pure profit aspect. I am ALWAYS interested in learning new avenues to improve profitability. Would you share your yearly cost to maintain a cow in your operation? My yearly cost fluctuates between $474-$540 over the past few years. If yours is less, which it certainly must be to achieve a mostly pur profit level, I am extremely interested in your approach.

bball":wqnoke7w said:
ddd75":wqnoke7w said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":wqnoke7w said:
ddd - you are over the top - LOL
Some people make what they think is good money with no management, that's great.
But, on this forum, we try to emphasize the "right" way of doing things. There are many "right" ways. What's good for one farm is not good for another.
I don't feed CAKE or TUBS or CUBES or GRAIN to my cows, but I do feed top notch mineral ($30/bag), and I will venture to guess I can make more profit (sale price less yearly cost of cow) off 1 weaned heifer calf than you make off of 8 calves. I am not trying to brag, just trying to put things in perspective when you say " I've made a lot of money with cattle and don't need any advice or approval".
Like I said, profit can be made, it's a matter of what method.

in 2015 I had 2 checks in hand totaling $230,000.00 from cattle, most of that pure profit.

Triple d, this statement here. You have my attention good sir. Would you consider expounding further upon how you were able to attain the pure profit aspect. I am ALWAYS interested in learning new avenues to improve profitability. Would you share your yearly cost to maintain a cow in your operation? My yearly cost fluctuates between $474-$540 over the past few years. If yours is less, which it certainly must be to achieve a mostly pur profit level, I am extremely interested in your approach.

most of that was from buying cheap during '11, growing the herd with my small heifers, and selling a good, proven herd to a single guy. I also retained 50k of the best cattle of the group. Which is about what I had in the entire group. I also sold the calves during those years that paid for my farm payment and any expenses.

The year prior I sold out my sheep herd for 40k which I had about 8k into.

LUTE THEM ALL ! ! !! ! ! ! ! !

ddd75":3vgaaqo4 said:
bball":3vgaaqo4 said:
ddd75":3vgaaqo4 said:

most of that was from buying cheap during '11, growing the herd with my small heifers, and selling a good, proven herd to a single guy. I also retained 50k of the best cattle of the group. Which is about what I had in the entire group. I also sold the calves during those years that paid for my farm payment and any expenses.

The year prior I sold out my sheep herd for 40k which I had about 8k into.

LUTE THEM ALL ! ! !! ! ! ! ! !

Appreciate the response. Guess i would really need to pick your brain more. I clearly need to up my numbers. So basically, you flipped some sheep for excellent profit. Bought cheap cows before the big price jump in 15 and 16, retained your heifers and sold steers to pay the bills, flipped those cows at great margins, and still retained ownership of 50k in cattle. Write a book my man. Id buy it and read it twice.

True Grit Farms":24cgt8qp said:
TexasBred":24cgt8qp said:
Brute 23":24cgt8qp said:
My family has land that they have ran cattle on for generations. They have not done any thing to help me other than offer up free advice and a place to log hours upon hours of free labor.... and I appreciate every bit of it. I have managed the cattle and properties for a man and his wife for 15 years along with taking care of a couple other peoples' cattle. I personally own 7 cows, 4 bull calves, 3 heifers calves, and 1/2 a bull at the present time. I acquired my first 2 heifers, 2 years ago as a gift from the man and his wife. I purchased the other 5 about a year later. I am 30 years old. :kid: I do not pretend, or intend, to be some thing I am not.

People are just trying to be honest with you and make sure new people understand the context when they read what you are doing. I truly hope you revolutionize the cattle business. We need all the help we can get. :tiphat:
Dang Brute, I'm gonna have to go buy a couple of cows. Can't have you owning more cows than me. :lol: :lol2:

Sure glad we got "Mr. Know it All" to fall back on." I mean he's made lots of money doing everything wrong.
All hat and no cattle, TB your wisdom has helped many around here, if you could only get CB to listen he might even learn a thing or two also.
Grit I done give up on CB. He's hopeless. Guess I need to be more like him. While he was down at the Church of Christ leading the singing yesterday while packing 3 1911 45 autos and waiting on the chicken to get done I was sittin' on the tailgate of the truck drinking beer wtih a couple of guys. :lol2:

ddd75":3bziox27 said:
I guess if I'm doing it wrong, I'll keep doing it wrong.

no wonder you people say "no money to be made in cattle"

we have people with 6 cows trying to tell everyone what to do / think. OMG LUTE IT !! !

OMG LUTE IT !!! It's not 1000 lbs.. OMG LUTE IT!! it was bred by its daddy! OMG LUTE IT!!!!

GEt out the CAKE AND TUBS!! I didn't see that heifer eat that tub today.. OMG LUTE IT !!!!

I need my 45.00 bag of mineral for my non-profit cows.. I didn't see it comsume 4 oz today after I measured it with my measuring cup.. OMG LUTE IT! ! ! ! !

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

ddd all you have to do is act natural. Can't fix stupid.

Sure would like to see did numbers. If a spring born heifer can calve at 18 mons and call E with the spring herd, I may also need a math lesson. Gs

plumber_greg":1foww3ek said:
Sure would like to see did numbers. If a spring born heifer can calve at 18 mons and call E with the spring herd, I may also need a math lesson. Gs

they actually calve in the winter.. not even a year old yet.. calves are 120 lbs no assistance.

ddd75":3szniqfi said:
plumber_greg":3szniqfi said:

they actually calve in the winter.. not even a year old yet.. calves are 120 lbs no assistance.
Don't try to be funny. YOU ARE the joke !!!!

TexasBred":3ismpmzh said:
ddd75":3ismpmzh said:
plumber_greg":3ismpmzh said:

Don't try to be funny. YOU ARE the joke !!!!
if we compared each other.. the joke is all you. ;-)

ddd75":2mtgqepg said:
plumber_greg":2mtgqepg said:

This is a joke right? :shock:

ddd75":2bl3tpsi said:
plumber_greg":2bl3tpsi said:

Hey. I am not going to ride the bandwagon so I am not asking this to attack or judge you. I would like to know if you weigh your calves or estimate the weight?

TennesseeTuxedo":2kti7yuv said:
This has been quite an entertaining thread.

Penguins are easily entertained. They can spend all day just sliding around on the ice. On their bellies like a toboggan.

Bright Raven":2aar2jzg said:
ddd75":2aar2jzg said:
plumber_greg":2aar2jzg said:

Hey. I am not going to ride the bandwagon so I am not asking this to attack or judge you. I would like to know if you weigh your calves or estimate the weight?

no i don't weigh them. anymore I can't even get them, they'll lift me up and take me for a ride right after being born. I don't even have time to tie them.

ddd75":8k5ds3uv said:
Bright Raven":8k5ds3uv said:
ddd75":8k5ds3uv said:

no i don't weigh them. anymore I can't even get them, they'll lift me up and take me for a ride right after being born. I don't even have time to tie them.

You estimate then. I use a bathroom scale. I birth in a pen near the house. I see almost every calf born. Within 40 minutes, I weigh the calf. I let them lick, get their first nurse, then run out and give the neonatal meds and weigh.

My birth weights average 87 pounds. My biggest calf this year was 104 pounds.

Bright Raven":2d9fe34c said:
ddd75":2d9fe34c said:
Bright Raven":2d9fe34c said:

You estimate then. I use a bathroom scale. I birth in a pen near the house. I see almost every calf born. Within 40 minutes, I weigh the calf. I let them lick, get their first nurse, then run out and give the neonatal meds and weigh.

those are big calves.

ddd75":2nlwsfv5 said:
Bright Raven":2nlwsfv5 said:
ddd75":2nlwsfv5 said:

those are big calves.

Yours are 120 lbs, how can 87 be considered big?

TennesseeTuxedo":1iyymc40 said:
ddd75":1iyymc40 said:
Bright Raven":1iyymc40 said:

those are big calves.

Yours are 120 lbs, how can 87 be considered big?

sharpest tool in the shed

Latest posts