Australian Talk.

Help Support CattleToday:

brightspark":3awl5raw said:
hi all , i have been lerking in the background for years , the loging finaly worked, i live on the gold coast and have some land at lismore nsw, i have bred south devons , then dairied , now breed dexters , Ern is my name.

:welcome:

G'day everyone. I'm back. Didn't get any fishing done but had a good time. It was very cold and windy. A low offshore whipped up some gigantic swell, pretty spectacular really watching it crash onto the river rock wall and the headlands.
Yamba is quite an interesting place. A couple of headlands making beaches in between and lots of places to walk and explore, so we had plenty to do.
This afternoon I went into the tin mine to check the cows and found one had a calf with her. Fortunately they were all near the gate so with a bit of calling I got them all out in one hit. One other cow is on the home stretch to calving. I checked the date that the bull went in the other day and my calving calculator says the 20th June as the due date. I did put the bull in with the commercial girls the same day as I started the synch on the heifers to calve on the 1st of July. He was a yearling and thought he might need a bit of time finding his way. It looks like he hit the ground running.
Good to see a couple of new faces on this thread. You are very welcome Ern.
Yeh Kranky, it must have been a bit of wild weather down your way. I know snow came up the New England with it laying on the ground at Glen Innes, Tenterfield got a light dusting. I don't know if any got through to us here at Stanthorpe, I forgot to ask my neighbour when I spoke to him this arvo.
Ern do you show your Dexters or do you just like having them around or I guess both? They do make a lot of sense for lifestyle blocks as the carcase is of a manageable size if you wish to put one in the freezer.
Well Mel I hope I can help give you your fix now that I am back, though I wasn't away for long.
Ken

thank you all for the welcome ,
hi ken i do a couple of local shows , thats it now , i did melb, and canbera in the 80s to 91, with south devons , i was living in northern vic then, E

I tried to do a post last night but internet was going in and out all the time, hope it is a bit better this morn.
I've got a stray hanging around at the moment. She is a mad mad heifer, I don't like her being around makes mine skittish, she came in from over the back. I had her in the yards on Sat and split her off, she got a bit upset and went over the top, disappeared down the track and into a bit of scrub. Haven't seen her for 24hrs so she has either moved on or is lying low.
It's cold and overcast and windy here still very little rain though we did get a shower last night with 3.5mm. Probably all we need as with this weather things are not drying out too quickly.
I had planned to replace a strainer today but this drizzle will probably have me looking for an inside job to do.
Ken

I here reading posts nearly every day so I thought I had better add to the convo!
My char/angus heifers must be into the second half of their calving cycle. The first 5 must be hinge on a month old whilst the 4 left have really filled up this week.
I was suspicious of one yesterday and check her several times and as I thought she had calved this morning.
I now have 4 little grey calves and 2 blacks. Thankfully I haven't touched any of them and they have all looked to have done it with ease.
Only a few weeks and my Angus replacements will start calving. They haven't started springing yet but they are due from about the 7 of june.

OME, I take it you mean the heifers are due 7th July. My heifers should hit the deck on the 1st July.
You will have to post some photos of those Char/Angus calves. I bet they are looking like big teddy bears already.
We had rain all day today, not a real lot, but enough to stop me from doing any outside jobs.
Ken

haha yes Ken, July. I have been bringing them forward for 3 years now with the theory that the calves are older when the hit the spring flush and can better utilise it. I aim to sell the steers in July/August at upto about 480kg at a point when the market is hopefully tight for finished cattle.
I have had way to much rain at the farm, the soil is saturated and very soft. The paddocks are full of boggy springs. The cattle are pugging a lot country and I'm not sure how it will after the soil over the long term as it is the third year in a row that we have been so wet.

$2.08lb thats about $4.50 kg we'd be happy to get half that on the hoof.If sounds like a good price

We had our first big frost for the year this morning I got called into work last night and crossed paths with my Mate who said the thermometer at the Roadhouse in Lancefield was at -5 celcius,It must have been cold as we still had frost on the ground at 9.00 when I got home which is pretty unusual .Had a few hours kip and went to Elders for some drench and piked up some chaff for my wifes ponys

Thats good money Mel. We are only getting around $2.50/Kg. You have done well.
OME, do you have any problems with liver fluke?
I replaced a strainer today on my southern boundary, just got to go back tomorrow and hang a couple of gates. I was walking around my paddocks today, and I reckon the temperate grasses, especially rye, are the best yet. I think it is because the summer grasses didn't grow all that well last summer and as a result there is not so much hayed off grass smothering the temperates. It makes me keen to buy that flail mulcher for next year. I think it would help my winter grasses get a go on.
Kranky, we have had a bit of a break from the frosts lately. With those lows off the coast there has been plenty of wind and cloud cover which keeps the overnight temp up a bit but the days are cold.
Ken

fluke don't seem to be a problem ken. I have been doing fecal and blood tests for fluke and worms and I haven't treated cattle to fluke for about 3 years now and have reduced worm treatments . Last time I did treat for it view were cattle I bought in.
Mel, why did you sell those calves so light?

Hey emu,
Over here they will bring a lot higher price if the are under 300 lbs. Typically about double so if I had kept them for the extra time, I would have still gotten the same money and I have very limited land resources

I got the bulls in this morning and gave them their 2nd 3day vaccination and Vibrio. That Vibrio vaccine is a bit of nasty one. The dose is 5ml and it is very thick and oily, it will only go through an 18G needle. They still have big lumps behind their ears from last years dose. I got the two gates hung down on my southern boundary. One gate was already there going into the neighbours, but was pointing skywards due to the collapsing strainer. The other gate is a new one replacing a bit of mesh the previous owners had there. It is not used much as there is another gate between the two paddocks, but you can usually bet on a calf going the wrong way and ends up trapped down that corner. It will be a bit of a luxury just being able to open the gate to let it through instead of wrestling with the bit of mesh.
Ken

Hey Ken,
Not familiar with the term " strainer" does that refer to the post or something else? By the way, I haven't seen Suzie on here in quite some time. Hope everything is okay.

Yeh Mel, the big post on the corners, braced by a diagonal stay to strain the fence to. The one I put in was 330mm diam. about 13inches in your language. This one I cut from a fallen tree, it is stringy bark, not the best but I put a metal cap on it to hopefully extend its life. Ironbark is the best but we don't have any this side of town. Lately I have been shying away from timber posts as they are too heavey, I have been using steel. Now I have my tractor with a good loader, it makes easy work of it. The old post came straight out, I just had to widen the hole a bit and then I was able to drop the new post straight in. I might start cutting some more posts. I don't think you have a lot of the hardwoods that we have, most of it is a bit rough, plenty of splinters. Your timber always looks so nice, light and uniform. Fortunately for building now we have a lot of plantation timber, the hardwood hardly gets used anymore.
With regards selling your calves early, you just have to weigh it up and do what is best. I know some people here that sell their calves at 240kg, they get the best /Kg at that weight and their land is not suitable to take them any further and they don't lose out on much and it eases the pressure on the land and the cows. This year I will have a few cows to sell and I might unload their calves just after Xmas and send them along a couple of weeks later, hopefully PTIC. (preg tested in calf). The calves should be around 200kg and bring reasonable money.
I took some photos of my first calf today, so far he is the only one. I reckon he is about 2 wks early. He is a really bright little fellow, his mother will small, she will be one of the cows that I will be unloading, very good cow though. The calf is very social, he gets around to all the cows, the heifers are very interested in him.
2012_06140042.jpg

2012_06140044.jpg

Here is a photo of one of my cows, she was my first registered calf and has had two terrific calves herself now. She is not anything to look at but she does the job. Her first calf is one of the bulls I am selling and when I weighed him the other day he had taken over the lead at 870Kg.
2012_06140043.jpg

Ken

Latest posts