Australian Talk.

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes wbvs58 you went right past our place on 2 roads. I will pm you with my address.

I brought the tractor up yesterday and no lucerne to be seen. Hubby reckons there is lucerne up the other end, but why it would be up one end and not the other I have no idea.

I see there is a panoramic setting on my camera I will go and have a play and see what that comes up with and post it.

I think Jackie has calved. When I fed out some round bales yesterday, she called and left the group. I will go down and see if I can get a photo today.

Boy those full blood bazadais are small and boy are they fast!!!!

Very sadly :( my neighbours oldest dog passed away this week. I am going to take my new steam mop down as she said he went very quickly and left a bit of a mess. I haven't used the steam mop on carpet yet, but it is supposed to do that, so we will see how well it works. :(

Well I didn't get very far with panoramic. You have to press the button and then turn around on the spot 360 degrees, which I can play back on the camera, but is not really as good as taking video. When I downloaded it to the computer I get a piccie a couple of mm vertically and totally useless.

So I took 3 stills for you instead.

You will love my baling twine gate closer. LOL that is because if you shut the gate with its own catch and there is a bit of moisture in the morning you will get zapped.

I have no idea what is on the fence post. Maybe orange peel put there from hubby if he ate an orange off the orange tree, or maybe a melon put their by a weaner!!!!

The orange tape will keep a horse in the houseyard out of the orchard, but not any cattle. There was a fence there which hubby removed with my protesting when we first moved in. Sigh.

First is our paddock that we have seeded lucerne. There is an aisle to the left of this paddock and that is our boundary fence. The irrigator is still down there on the left front of the green. The little square of water is not a dam, the next bit of water is the dam until you can see a bit of vegetation in the water. The rest is just water on the ground left over from the floods. From the weaners eating the two round bales I put out yesterday over the whole of the green and down to the road was underwater when we were flooded.

DSCF0802small.jpg

This is the next photo so there should be no water on the ground and you actually can't see that water from the road. You have to come up our road to see it. The 'island' on the right is where I fed out some round bales yesterday. The paddocks you see the cattle in are now only grass that have had frost on them and so the grass is now dead. Beyond that is our long paddock that we have started ploughing.

DSCF0803small.jpg

You can see our boundary fence on this photo from our paddock to the paddock next door that has no cattle on it, so is now a haven for snakes for my neighbour whose house in the middle of it and only owns the house yard. This is the paddock we would have liked to buy to put our cattle when we flood, but alas it never came up for sale. The council gave it to someone to take their land for the Wyaralong Dam. We did ask if we could put our cattle in there while they were starving above the house during the flood for 2 - 3 months, but were told no as they were keeping it empty so as no ticks.

Our cattle are injected with dectomax that kills internal and external parasites. Our cattle do not have ticks and obviously if our cattle did have ticks that magic barbed wire fence must stop them going next door. Now that the grass in there has frosted it will also be a fire hazard for our neighbours house that is in the middle of it.

Our boundary fence goes down through the lagoon. We own about 1/3 of it, and then goes down to the bridge and we lease back the other side of the creek from the Waterboard.

DSCF0804small.jpg

I think I get the gist of it Suzie, the water lying around and the lagoon is like a short cut for the water from the creek, leaving your cultivation paddocks on a island. The lucerne is an even green, is it very tall? I would say your country has taken a bigger hit from winter than we have, although we have the cold, the terrain, trees and rocky outcrops give a lot of shelter. The ground is still holding a lot of moisture and is acting like a big heat sink so the frosts are only happenig on top of the grass and there is green feed underneath.
Well I sold the bull today, I was only asking $2000, he is a 2yr old, not registered, but a nice bull just the same, he gets picked up on Thursday, I'm happy, the buyers happy, the bull should be happy.
Tomorrow I'm off to Warwick to get some prices on tyres, then Killarney to pick up a 1tonne bag of feed then home via Mt Lindsay H'way, always a nice drive.
Ken

Not a shortcut to the creek. Left over from the creek flooding. It actually comes upstream from the creek when it floods, but when really bad it will also come from downstream over the neighbour's property and get us that way as well.

Congrats on selling your bull.

I haven't been to Warwick....yet.

Enjoyed the photos that have been posted.
Back again after a few days baby-wrangling....he was well-behaved for grandma, just gorgeous, saying dad-dad and blowing raspberries, hard to leave him again. His mum had a good rest so hope all is well for a while now.
The traffic was very heavy around Capella-Emerald yesterday morning and I realised it was the first day of Ag-Grow. All frosted off over the Highlands and it will be getting a few more good ones over the next few days. A vague green tinge through the buffel grass when I got home - it will be very slow coming with this cold weather.
Have sold a big QH filly (broken in) and they're coming to get her this afternoon. I put her in the stable first thing this morning and will spend a couple of hours reminding her of rudimentary good manners. She has been trucked but not floated so will get the float out and introduce her to it. Would hate to lose the sale because she wouldnt load! The filly is by Salt Springs Jack Daniels and is fairly quiet but has an annoying streak of arrogance, which makes it hard to get her attention focused on you. Wish me luck.

Last night it got down to -5.
Today is just windy and freezing outside, puddles every were, tree falling down.

Have to move the new cows from yards to their paddocks.

How long have you had them Charlie? I like to keep them in the yards for at least a week, so as they now think of here as home and not where they came from. Then they are let into a yard outside the yards with a good fence and an electric wire, so as they learn what that is, before they are let out with the herd.

Good luck with the sale of your QH, Jilleroo. I am sure she float well for you.

They just arrived today. They are quiet, and we have never had new cattle jump fences to find their old home.
They were also preg tested again, because they weren't preg tested by a vet, but by the owner of the cattle we just didn't trust him. Only 2 out of the 26 were pregnant, which i guess it alright, but we are going to talk to the agent and see what the old owner and use can figure out.

Only 2 pregnant and were sold to you as PTIC. I would be wanting some money back or them lending you a bull for a while or something. Surely the person who signed the PTIC should be contacted?

That's a bummer Charlie, it puts your plans back 12mths. Sounds like they should have been advertised PTNIC (not in calf) and the tester got 2 wrong. Even if the owner tested them himself by tossing a coin he should have got 1/2 right. I think the agent should shoulder a fair amount of responsibility if he introduced you to the sale especially if he values his reputation. Whatever the outcome of negotiations, hiccups like this are soon very minor distance memories once we put them in the past and get on with achieving our objectives.
What altitude are you at Uralla, your in Captain Thunderbolt country, he came up this way too, to Stanthorpe, he had hideouts here and at Tenterfield, he probably came north for the winter. We get pretty cold here too, we are at 960metres, though this morning only had a light frost and 1.7C, the breeze didn't stop all night so temp a bit higher.
Jilleroo, my father in law was an old horse dealer, once money changed hands there was no way in the world he would hand it back. Every horse he sold went on that float or truck by hook or by crook. For some it was the last float they would go on, but that did not matter to him, as long as they got out of his yard, deal done.
Another calf today, heifer. I think this is going to be a year for heifers for me. The fellow who bought my bull, reckons calves conceived in a good season are predominantly bulls. Well last year was good, I hope he is right and the bull calves start catching up, they better get a move on.
Ken

wbvs58 Uralla is 1000 metres above sea level, well some around that.
Also i need your opinion and others also, would you come to a property involved in the Northern Beef Week if they bred composite bulls (Angus x Shorthorns and others).
I think I might get a bit more involved (showing to hard) in having sales etc on the property. We have some quality cows that we have bought, which will hopefully breed some good bull calves for what I am planning.

Your father-in-law sounds like a pretty normal horsedealer Ken! The filly was impeccably behaved, marched on the float like a trooper, cool and calm. Felt sad to part with her actually. The people had bought her older brother from us and have shown him successfully,led and hack, so hope she does as well for them. The gelding has missed all this show season due to a mystery swelling and lameness - has been living at vet clinics, a shame. That's horses for you....
This afternoon I thought I'd better locate the friesian cows, havent seen them for a while. Couldnt find my favourite, Jasmine, anywhere, wasnt with her mates - so uh oh.... Bluebelle is springing though so will have to bring her home. The milkers are usually so good though - once you let them know you definitely want them home, even if its miles away, they'll make a beeline in, no doubt because they're anticipating the feedtin. They're friesian with a touch of AIS, good sensible cows. Will be able to poddy the last half-twin I picked up onto Bluebelle hopefully, after I get some colostrum from her. Earlier in the year, we sold their four steer calves straight off them for a total of over $3000 so they did some good work for us! Calves are by char bulls.
Hope your new cows work out well for you Charlie. My husband's great great (great?) grandfather was credited with making Thunderbolt's coffin!

Charlie, from what I saw of Beef Week, I went out just one day, but only got in 4 studs, I did get a later start than I anticipated. I was only going to Angus studs, just "tyre kicking", mainly wanted to compare bulls that they were producing with what I had at home, you always have to keep an eye on the goalposts. I found that the big well known studs had a constant stream of carloads of people coming through. The only smaller less known stud I went to because it was not far off the highway only had dribs and drabs coming through, I was very impressed with their cattle and even though I was not looking for a bull, I was almost tempted to go back to their sale and bid on one.
To answer your question, people would drop in if you were accessible but then you have to hold them by having some quality cattle for them to buy. I think the stud business is very competitive especially for those better prices paid, studs spend a lot of money on marketing. They gradually build a client base and then have to hold them with constantly improving their cattle.
I keep a few stud Angus cows which I inseminate each year, though my insemination skills are not real good. I buy a couple more each year from Wattletop Angus at Guyra, they are PTIC to good bulls and good value I think, I have got a high percentage of heifers from them which is good, the second lot of these heifers calving this year. My goals are just to have good looking cattle in my paddocks producing quality even vealers to take to Warwick. The agent now knows my cattle, they put them in a good pen and are keen to sell them. I have started to keep a couple of bulls for my own use as yearlings then to sell on as 2yr olds, I don't know how far I will go with this, I may take a couple to a multi-vendor sale next year, I will see. So far I have had no trouble selling a couple of bulls by word of mouth but these are down the lower price range, but for me this is ok as I do not do all this as a business. It is purely a HOBBY.
For a small stud just a couple of visitors would be OK as long as you have a bit of quality to get them thinking. Clientele can be slow to build at first but as people have a good experience they talk and then it builds exponentially. Remember the prices you see in the papers are the top headline sales, even the top studs have a large number of their draught selling at or close to the reserve.
Ken

jilleroo, gee i've found a heap of people that have links to him.

GUESS WHAT we got $100 back from the heifers so all good. :)

wbvs58, there are some wattletop cows/heifers for sale on auctionplus, not sure if they are stud quality.
http://www.auctionsplus.com.au/Photos/v ... ERN+STATES

Well do you think i should have stud cattle or do you think that if i were to go to things like NSW beef spectacular with some great looking cattle i could slowly build a client base?

Charlie, that's good you got some money refunded. Have you got some pics of your new cattle?
My d-in-law on our northern place pointed out to me today that it was Tulip I was looking for, not Jasmine as she has her over there! I had the right cow, just the wrong name.... All the milkers get flower names and I tend to mix them up. Anyway I did find Tulip and she is springing too so will bring her and Bluebelle in closer when I get the time and inclination.

That heap of visitors is getting awfully close ho hum. We always get an influx in July when its freezing cold in the southern states.
We killed a beast but its still hanging. Might wait until the folk get here so they can help cut it up!

Jilleroo, you are as bad as Suzie with names for everything. Ah no, not quiet that bad. I avoid names, once the family cottons onto a name, I can't get rid of it. Bulls excepted, but I got to find them a good home.
My 2 yr old bull went today, I'll bank the check tomorrow and spend the money on new tyres for the truck next week. I have 5 calves on this place now, all heifers plus the dead male twin, it's not looking good for the boys this year.
Charlie, great to get a bit of compensation. Those Wattletop cows are registered stud cows, they did not have their usual female sale this year, some of those cows are spring calving and some are autumn calving. They would be good reliable cows and you could bet that they would calve within a few days of the due dates.
I think you have to go with cattle that you are happy and comfortable with, that perform well in your situation. I admire cattle of all differant breeds, my neighbour has some terrific crossbreds, exploits hybrid vigour especially with European breeds. As far as selling bulls, I can only speak from my own experience, which is limited. I sold a 2009 bull today which I had bred and used as a yearling with my cows at my other block, this sale was by word of mouth via my rural merchandising store. The buyer while here was admiring my four 2010 bulls which I have kept to use this year but will be for sale next year. My neighbour was around a few weeks ago to ask if I could keep an eye on his horses while he was away overseas, I showed him my young bulls and is very interested in one in particular next year. I am finding that without even trying I am starting to create a good deal of interest by word of mouth and showing people, and I am in a fairly isolated position, end of a road, no passing traffic.
I have thought of doing Beef Week, and may do so down the track, if I was only to get a couple of people through I feel it would be worthwhile, as I would be confident that my cattle would impress them, and even if they were not in the market for a bull, they talk, and may have a friend.
There are many ways to market bulls, adds in local newspapers, do a brochure up and send to agents and local producers, multivendor sales. First up develop a quality product and then promote it locally, don't underestimate the power of word of mouth. Most of all don't expect to get the big dollars, big buyers are attracted by big studs who have a big advertising budget, they promote themselves 12 months of the year, spend a lot of money on genetics, have large AI programmes, flush cows,keep detailed records for reliable EBV's, have all sale bulls scanned, semen tested, structurally assessed and then all the costs of sale day. I think they deserve the higher prices, they are probably not high enough for the work put in.
Charlie you can only test the waters by dipping your foot in. I am not trying to preach one way or the other, I hope my answer to your question is not too long winded, it is nice to see you have ambitions.
Ken

Jilleroo I have some pictures on the photo gallery. (still haven't worked how to post them on topic yet)

wbvs58 well done on selling the bull!, thanks for the opinion.

I think you should get involved in Beef Week. I think i will improve the cattle that i have at the moment (even though they don't need to be improved). But first im going to give NSW Beef Spectacular first, with a pen of heifers and pen of bulls, i think this should tell me what I need to improve on the breeding etc of the bulls.

Do you think shorthorn x hereford bulls?

Charlie, as I said, I think word of mouth is very powerfull. I had just started painting the back verandah this arvo and heard a car door (I get very few visitors), it was an agent from Warwick. The people who I sold the bull to, use him, he was out visiting them and they proudly showed him their new bull, he was very impressed and wanted to know how, when, where and why. He was chasing some bulls for clients and even though they told him I didn't have any more for sale, he wanted to come down and check out my cattle and is keen to do business next year when my yearlings will be 2yr olds. Young bulls in the $2-3000 range he can readily place. To chase more money I have to put them in a sale and take my chances, it is a lot more work and expense. Anyhow I have 12months to decide and in the meantime they will have work to do in spring. But it is a good example how word of mouth can escalate.
As far as breeds go Charlie, I think that is a decision you need to make yourself. I never like to think one breed is better than another, it is more about making the most of what you have got. But seeing you have asked, I will give my opinion. Visually I think that cross will produce something that will look too much like a Hereford, where I suspect you will want to produce something that is unique. I think the Shorthorn is a great base and has been used before as in developing the Santa Gertrudis and Droughtmaster.
Have you given any consideration to doing a course in Artificial Insemination? Very few people are proficient straight after a course, it then requires a lot of practice, but you will have the knowledge and should be able to successfully inseminate a percentage. This would then give you the capabilty of trying many differant crosses or purebred matings.
I don't mean to be rude but are you a male Charlie or a female Charlie, I suspect that your enthusiasm comes from being fairly young? You ask plenty of questions which is great.
Ken

Latest posts