Australian Talk.

Help Support CattleToday:

Thank you Jillaroo.

I am guessing she will go back to normal in the next month or so as we only feed grass and hay. She has a round bale in with her at the moment and 3 calves being weaned. Either that or my 2 bazadais girls will muscle up like her as they are a couple of months younger than her.

There was supposed to be 4 calves in with her, but one of the Bazaman managed to skip through the gate and the fence. She is down with the weaners at the moment and has been there for 2 days. I am hoping she stays in that paddock and we will bring her up with the other weaners on Saturday, when she can be put back in with them in another paddock, just so as their needles will be on the same day.

Finger's crossed.

Not much rain here yet Australian. A bit after dark, but they are predicting it for the weekend.

Post this lovely bazadais heifer on the breeds board; so all can appriciate her. Good choice!

They are predicting rain for next week now. Maybe we won't get much over the weekend which would be good. Vaccinating and worming the weaners on Saturday and hubby's family coming to visit on Sunday.

I fed out round bales this morning and saw a Brahman licking her new calf.

Another Bazaman. Heather's calf. A boy.

HeathersCalf179101.jpg

Where have all the Aussies gone? Plenty of good rain around so you'd think they'd all be inside on the computer instead of chucking out
dry lick and feeding molasses, which is what we're usually doing this time of year.
Out here, we've had some great rain without it being too much. Forecasting some more in a couple of days - bring it on! Plenty of new calves getting about.
On the downside (and yes, there's always a downside.....) the Aussie dollar has skyrocketed. No doubt as soon as the processors get over the wet-weather-supply-situation, they'll jerk the prices back with a thud.

We baled 350 bales before the rain started, but alas it really needed another day. I have been going out and turning them over and feeding out any which don't seem right. It is too wet to move round bales at the moment and anyway, Davey is missing his two front wheels at the moment until hubby puts new ones on.

This is the first time I have had a garden going into Spring. In the past 3 foot grass comes through. This time I put down a layer of unopened newspapers and I actually have flowers this year. The silverbeet has exploded with Spring and I really have too much. I have apples for the first time in 7 years as finally have 2 trees that budded at the same time. I hope my dahlia bulbs aren't drowning.

No rain yesterday, last night or today.

I glanced outside and saw water coming from both sides of our property and knew I only had minutes.

I fed out the herd and they came through shallow water, so all were fine.

Then I fed out the heifers who ignored me. I went down on the quad and a good thing I had my gumboots on, as I had to open a gate with the water up to the top of them.

I brought them up and then had to stop them going down through water the other side. Which then meant they went out the gate I had come down through instead of eating the hay I had thrown out for them.

I put them back in and then took these piccies for you.

Photos taken from the verandah.

Main Cattle herd.

DSCF9400small.jpg

A waterfall filling the dam

DSCF9399small.jpg

The weaners mainly heifers
DSCF9397small.jpg

Dreaming of newborn calves and green grass! We have frost every morning and snow soon!
Beautiful pics!

A few places in Australia received snow yesterday. Not enough to actually get to the ground, but places that have not had snow before and October is nowhere near winter for us.

We are in the middle of calving you can pick out a few calves in the photo of the main herd.

Such a shame that we have flooded. 3 paddocks ready to cut, we need to cut, but can't get the tractors down there now.

Nice photos Suzi, all so green. I can't imagine being able to see the neighbours' place like that though - you could call out to each other! Would be great though to have people so close by if you needed help for any reason.
It poured down all Friday morning here and we had 2 - 3 inches over most of the place, just amazing for the time of year.
Amazing for any time of the year!!! The next batch of charolais heifers has started to calve to the senepol bulls and there was a few babies when I went around this morning. About 200 to go so no doubt it won't all be plain sailing, just enjoy it while I can!

wonderful spring weather here in perth. back home in nsw my area has been badly flooded ... I'll have to upload pics at some point. Mum's sheep and the couple goats I left with her have managed ok. Crazy amount of damage to fences though.

I'm just plodding away at work ...

Have started up my little goat stud over here in the west :) nothing better than having some animals around.

Have started fitting/strapping for a dairy goat stud at the shows here, we have been most successful, winning the best in show at both the shows we have been to so far :) next show is next weekend

Those photos were taken on telephoto lens, so it looks different in real life. You couldn't call to those houses, they are actually over the road and up the hill. There is a house a little closer than those ones which I walk to for pilates and that is a bit over a kilometre. There are 2 other houses closer, but up a hill a little bit, so I can't actually see them unless I walk up the driveway.

A very sore throat for me at the moment. Hubby has fed the cattle the last couple of days and I don't think they have even realised I am missing.

WE HAVE HAY IN THE SHED YAHOO!!!!!

Over 400 square bales and over 70 round bales and here is the lucerne that is growing that we cut a couple of weeks ago.

lucernegrwoingsmall.jpg

Yesterday I spent 3 and 1/4 hours cleaning my neighbours kitchen. I washed, dried and put away almost every single bit of crockery, cutlery, mugs and glasses and cooking stuff in the kitchen. PHEW!!!

Now I should start on my house - it looks like a bomb has hit it!!!!

A new calf yesterday.

Mother Robal (Born Labour Day so Labor backwards) Calf can be Halloween if a girl as I love all the names I could come up with in the future.

RobalandHalloween51110small.jpg

Hello All

I've been away overseas for a few weeks. It's good to be back. I can't believe how much rain we've had while I was away. Had to go to Europe to get some sunshine.

RobalandHalloween51110small.jpg

That is a cute calf!!

Andrew

Thank you and welcome back.

Am I allowed to complain?

You look at the weather forecast, which incidentally is over half an hours drive at 100klm/hr so doesn't really mean what we get anyway.

less than 1mm so you cut. You come back and look and it has changed and it rained last night.

We were very lucky and only got 3mm, my friend up the road got 2 inches. The creek is up but hopefully we don't flood.

WOW it has been a while since we have been in here.

We have cut the first time since the big floods in Australia. Really only grass and all kinds and so thick that it broke the mower and a rake. I managed to break the roll pin and a tine on another rake because I didn't tighten the arms on the tractor and then turned too sharp. :cry2:

I had to cut so slowly that it took me three days to cut.

I have just finished baling and we made 223 round bales. Hubby has fed 7 out.

I took some photos for you.

Our weaners - still 100 round bales to pick up.

DSCF0492small.jpg

We bring up 17 at a time. 15 on the trailer and Goldie brings 2 up.

DSCF0471small.jpg

DSCF0485small.jpg

We have started filling our little storage area where we keep our round bales. Yes we would rather keep them under cover.

DSCF0478small.jpg

and a piccie of Magpie and Mosaic as they were standing together.

DSCF0511small.jpg

Latest posts