Australian Talk.

Help Support CattleToday:

Hi Colin,
This one is probably a question for you. I was trying to find out if Kyabra sold their herds (particularly the Gyr herd) yet and instead I got a link to this forum and saw that you were going to go for a look. So I signed up to see if you had heard anything? I have a pretty keen interest in the Red Brahmans (generally the older bloodlines) in particular but tend to try and keep an eye on how sales go. We have a couple of properties in CQ around Banana. I notice your based in Tenterfield. We still have friends there from when we use to showjump. I'm pretty sure they are still builders in your area.
I must apologise for the intrusion but thankyou for your time.

Much appreciated. I wouldn't have minded getting hold of a gyr or two if they had chose to sell them as individuals. Some looked to be pretty handy.

We had 35mm last week which was nice. The place has really browned off though. Still a bit of green pick around the trees. We've had 7 calves born in the last month with another 3 to go. 6 out of the 7 are bull calves.

Andrew

There's been more good rain around western Qld. last couple of weeks but we havent got any of it. Still looking pretty good though for going into winter. We put all the cows through the yards over the last few weeks, weaning and branding. Just the last batch of weaners on each place still in the yards being educated and fed out, so its all nearly over. The calves were all monsters, especially because of the good season but didnt pose us too many problems.

I noticed that there was not one veterinary issue to be dealt with - no sick or poor cows, no prolapses, no calves with hernias or infected navels. No one came across any dead cows in the paddocks while mustering so, out of a large number of charolais cows, it was very pleasing.

It must get cold soon - was up to 32 degs this week!

Misty rain at times here today. Had 15mls overnight. 44 mls for the past ten days. Had about 7 frosts but none for the past week. No harm done, still green grass about which very strange for this time of year. Gully is running along nicely after last nights rain. Temperature is about 13 degrees now. Supposed to get to tops of only 9/10 the next couple of days then some more rain. It must be going to be a mildish type winter with cold bursts followed by milder rainier weather. I don't mind. Week after week of frosts gets rather tedious.

It's blowing a gale here tonight. Rain has gone (been blown away) Supposed to get down to 2c in the morning up to a top of 12c. Wind chill bound to be a lot less. Had a heifer calve this arvo at the coldest part of our property. Hopefully the heifer will keep it covered up in the grass.

Spent the day yesterday at Farmfest in Toowoomba. Very pleasant way to spend a day. Saw a lot of things I'd like but very few I could afford. There were some nice cattle on display. I really liked the look of the Belmont Reds and the Bazadais cattle that were there.

Colin I met some of your old South Devon society buddies who were there promoting the breed.

Andrew

I might go to Farmfest tomorrow. What were the South Devons like? Belmonts are good to cross with don't like them much as a sole breed to use. I've got two good cows out of pure South Devons that I purchased in calf to a Belmont. They have been good breeders. Bazadaise aren't bad cattle either. Were there any good Brahmans there?

The south devons they had were taken straight from the paddock with no real show prep or feeding so they didn't look as glossy as some of the other cattle that had been prepared for showing. Some lovely grey brahmans from an older couple out near Bell. Beautiful and dog quiet, they come up and lick your hand.

Andrew

Thats why SDs don't impress people when they aren't polished up a bit. Seems like breeders haven't learnt anything from all the years that most of those people have had the breed. I have offered cattle for the event but because I'm from "the other camp" they won't have me. Irrespective that there would have been some quality animals from south of the border.
I have known the people from Bell for years. Bought a heifer from them last year, she has just calved to our bull. These people breed Red s as well as greys and also Charbrays and Droughtmaster.
I'm going to see what the weather might be for the Downs tomorrow before I decide as I want to go to a Brahman female sale at Gympie saturday. I have our good Ekka show steer "down" at the moment with ?three day sickness. He's eating and drinking well but can't get up yet. I had one down for 8 days last year and he's ok now. Helps to have quiet cattle to do things with. Thanks for the info about Farmfest.

What I mean by "the other camp" Australia has two South Devon groups. The society and The association. We belong to the SD association. It was formed by persons that had been disgruntled for many years with the excessive cost of the registration system and the membership costs with fees such as Breedplan tacked onto it even if you weren't using Breedplan. Our association has a once only fee to register cattle. Whereas the society as does lots of other breed societies has a female inventory which is payable at the beginning of the year which entitles you to register progeny from that animal. Doesn't matter whether the animal dies or has a steer calf. The money is paid up front. The society had been challenged as to why this form of registration was used. It was the only way to budget for the whole year. Thats well and good if everyone pays for the same amount of inventory each year. What happens if say I have 100 cows to put on the inventory this year and next year when money is short I might only register 10. Where's their budget then? What also was happening I believe was that the inventory was being paid for say ten head, but one of the good old cows that wasn't on the list for this year has a good calf. That cows calf was being slipped into as being out of one of the cows that was registered. This has been going on for lots of years by any number of breeds. I also belong to the Australian Brahman Breeders association, have been for 35 years, it has a once only rego system. It just allows breeders a choice as to whether you want to register cattle or not. The inventory system doesn't allow for that, becasue once the cow goes off the system she has to be paid a reinstatement fee to get her back on the list. I would register some of our Herefords but they have an inventory system so I will not join that system. Sorry for the long winded explanation. I looked at the cattle at Farmfest. Wasn't impressed with the Senepol SD cross bulls. Could do a lot better with a red Brahman. There were two very good heifers there and one good young bull. The cow was ok but the calf very ordinary. The sad thing is though as I had expected. The same old faces were there at the site that were there 13 years ago. No new blood. That is why the SD breed will be gone in the next ten years if something isn't done to promote it. I have asked to be included on the World Congress Tour that comes to Australia next year. Bet you anything I don't get to participate because I'm not in the "Society" although our Association is recognised by the World Group. The Society is organizing the tour.
Beautiful sunny day here after a coolish morning.

Colin

Thanks for the explanation. The once only fee certainly seems a lot more appealing from the breeders point of view. The inventory may generate more revenue but would discourage people from registering their cattle. Did you come home from farmfest with any new purchases?

Andrew

no never spent any money. One of the Brahman breeders had two nice little red heifers for sale that I would have bought, but alas they were gone by the time I got there. Nice sunny day after another frost. Big frost yesterday and the day before, not as big today. Off to Toowoomba tomorrow to see the orthopod after my shoulder op 10 weeks ago. (completely tore my rotator cuff) Going well been off work 3 months now and have possibly 6 weeks to go before back to work. off to near Mackay the end of next week for a Brahman sale. A female reduction sale of one of the higher profile herds of grey cattle. Might be a bargain seeing there are so many Brahman females for sale over the next 5/6 months. Would like a cow and calf to replace one of the best cows in our grey herd. Prolapsed after giving birth the other night to a calf that we are now rearing. The first calf by our new grey bull. A ripper of a calf so to speak.

Long time no report from down under. We are still having a warmish winter. About 8/10 frosts over the past month. Been down to minus 7c here. No frosts for the past 10 days, green tinge throughout our place. Clover is coming through. Cattle still are in good condition. Was to have shown a team at the Royal National Show in Brisbane early August. But have sold the two South Devon bulls that we had entered. Over 1300 head entered for the show from 32 different breeds. Been busy preapring 4 bulls (2 SDs and 2 Brahmans) and 5 Brahman heifers for an all breeds sale 115 ks east of our place. Breeds for sale at this sale are Poll Hereford,Angus, Red Poll,Senepol,Blonde D Aquitane,Charolais,Charbray,Brahman,Brangus,Simmental,Boran,Murray Grey,Santa Gertrudis,Droughtmaster,South Devon,Romagnola and Limousin. Females on offer are, Brahman,Charbray,Simmental,Charolais and Santa Gertrudis. 241 bulls total and 44 females. last year top price was a Santa Gertrudis at $12,000.
On the weather scene elsewhere in our country, has seen very warm conditions and very little snow in our alpine areas. Parts of our state have had the best rain for years.The West has seen storms and rain. There has been a number of rainy fronts that have come across the country from the north west, emanating in the Indian Ocean who's waters are very warm. I never mind when we get rain through winter as it's usually our drier time.
Enough chatter for now.

certainly has been stormy here in the west colin. I was lucky enough to be away from perth last weekend during the huge storm but it left some damage around, including a rather large tree across a friends driveway. aussie_cowgirl managed to get a 4WD ute bogged the other day LOL apart from recently perth hasnt had that much rain. crazily busy at work with the sheep research project really kicking off. have had a few problems with preg tox, couple dead lambs in utero, and one lame atm (no idea what happened to her) but other than that its all going ok. missing my goats and cows :(

Latest posts