Australian Talk.

Help Support CattleToday:

GrandeG73_zps061b8948.jpg

Our 17 month old heifer whom we are exhibiting and offering for sale at Sydney RAS. First time we've put cattle in an auction so it will be nerve wracking.
Thank you Suzie for your help with photos. Much appreciated.

He is magnificent Diana, just seems to be so balanced and in proportion and very thick. Are you going to collect semen from him?
Another 18mm here last night. The creek through the paddock that the cows are in is running pretty well, I did not think that they would cross but this morning I found them all over the other side which is good as there is plenty of grass there and will keep them going until I shift them before heading off to Brisbane again.
Off to Warwick tomorrow to pick up the Mahindra, that is if my money hits my account tomorrow morning.
Ken

Gorgeous pic Diana.

Of course that is the way it is supposed to work, Ken, but never underestimate criminals if they can find a way to do it they probably will!!!

The water is going down today. So I will be going down to check fences and the water hyacinth.

We went down to have a look at the bridge and yes the water was flowing across it. We could see a great big patch of water hyacinth caught on this side of the bridge, but that will go once the water drops down under the bridge.

photo60646AM_zpsea7f323b.jpg

A small but important step for us city hobby farmers :) kids had a blast. Now to work on the ramp.

Diana your cattle look amazing.

Great photo Dale. I don't think any cattle will be going anywhere from here for a couple of weeks, the truck goes straight down very easily just about anywhere when the ground gets super wet like this.
How is your driveway holding up?
I should have the cows that I am keeping worked out soon, might even do it today, so if you are still interested in some come around and have a look. I should have the work in Brisbane just about stitched up this week so next week would be good.
It doesn't look like I will pick up the Mahindra today so far my money hasn't hit my account.
Another 14mm this morning.
Ken

Very interest Ken, Should be ready to get some cattle in the next week or so, in no rush so if we need to wait a few weeks for the ground to harden up that is fine. Driveway is not in good shape, but Adrian Johansen has his grader ready to smooth them out as soon as we get a full day of sunshine - hopefully tomorrow. Have 2 more tanks that need moving and some fencing, all waiting on some dryer weather. Happy to wait though, cant beat rain.

Id love to see your cows when your ready. I can come over tomorrow afternoon if your free then. Are the PTIC cows still on your sugarloaf rd property?

Attractive kids Burglar. You must be a dominant sire! Green grass is fabulous. Go get some of Ken's angus and you'll be in the beef business.
Hope you get your ute soon Ken. We'll need a photo of you and dogs in your new wheels.

Didn't get semen collected from our bull as no where close to do so. Also hope I can breed more good bulls. I'm using 3 of our own bulls now and just AI and ET on best cows. I'll know in 12 months whether this is a good idea or not. Have had 4 baby calves by our heifer bull (30, 31, 34 and 36 kg) and all shorter gestation so , happy with him so far. Nice style of calves as well. The other 4 are bulls and weighed from 40 to 45 kg out of older cows. Very good types. Will make excellent steers unless I keep a couple for sale bulls.

The DTD and I should have been flying to Hawaii tomorrow with another couple. Unfortunately he (other couple husband) fell off his ute tray feeding sheep breaking his ankle. Had the op yesterday and not allowed to fly for 8 weeks so we have rescheduled for June. Thank heavens it rained last week or I would sulking bigtime. As it is, the weather is pleasant, we have plenty of water and the grass is growing slowly but all is good. Come on June....

I've ended up in Brisbane again tonight, I'll give you a call hopefully next week Dale when I get some time in Stanthorpe. I rang up about the car this morning hoping to tee up a pickup time and she reckons that they still haven't found the keys so I couldn't wait around so headed back down to Brisbane. I dropped into the dealership on way through Warwick and asked to see the sales manager to get his slant on what was going on, seemed like a nice guy for a salesman, he confirmed that they had been searching high and low for the keys and that this morning he made the decision to have all the lock barrels changed and new central locking put in. I told him I was suspicious of something untoward and agreed things could have been handled better. He took me out to the workshop to see the car and yes the locks were pulled apart, a computer was hooked into the steering wheel apparently connected to Mahindra so they can reprogram the central locking and immobiliser to the new keys, seems to be a big job so I am happy now. What I didn't know it had was the fabric on the inside of all the doors has been replaced with aluminium plate, it took me back a bit at first, looks a bit like an old series 1 Landrover, once I got used to it I like the idea. My whole idea of this truck is for practicality not prettiness. Apparently the vehicle has been set up for the mines or tradesmen (they are using a lot in the mines) and the sale of this one must have fallen through. Anyhow it's ideal for me.
Diana, I look at a lot of photos bulls and to be honest they all look the same to me, your bloke just caught my eye. If he was in a semen catalogue I would use him. You are right though, hopefully you can breed him again. My breeding goals are to breed better females primarily and the bulls are just a biproduct of that. By the sound of it, that is your aim as well.
Ken

Thanks Diana, you are very kind. I will have to pass the credit over to my lovely wife though. Ken, next week is fine to catch up mate, glad everything is working our with your ute.

I have just added up my rainfall for the Feb and had 224.5 mm, most of which was in the last 6 days. For the year to date we've now had 383 and the pattern seems to be that we are having dry periods of 20 days or so followed by a couple of really good falls over about a week. It's not a bad way for it to happen, the grass is growing out of sight and for the most part not too much of the farm is water logged. Now if I could send the rain else where for another 20 or 30 days I'll be cheering all the way home!

We finally got all our stuff moved (except a lawn mower) and the unpacking is coming along ok. We have a lot of furniture to prepare and paint before it comes into the house, its taking up half of the double garage and part of the garden shed but there's no rush to get it in.

I had a truckload of hay arrive on Monday. I made the decision to buy it way back in January I think and its taken forever to sort out. 40 round rye bales at $36 a bale. I think they are lighter than was suggested so my per tonne price is higher than I would have like but they are in the shed now and I can sit on them for a while.

I didn't get many photo's at all while in Canberra and they are pretty poor quality. I have uploaded them and some others to photobucket and provided a link.
http://s1056.beta.photobucket.com/user/Old_man_emu/library/
Here's one from show day
Jan2013124_zps798bbf02.jpg

Just checked out your photos OME. Both you and the bull scrubbed up well. Very nice. I'm drooling over the green feed and the water pond. Your cattle are very lucky. Strong winds over past few days have really dried things out here, despite the 111mm last week. I did manage to bog the quad bike last Saturday but niece and I finally freed it, both splattered with mud. A pretty green tinge in paddocks but not much length in grass yet.
Weaner calves are taking to the pellets well so hopefully they will start to pick up condition soon. Had 4 bull calves born last week. Nice big strong boys. Bit out of season but luckily it isn't very hot so far.

Argh Diana I have done that. I have revved up and tried to go over as fast as I can, but just like magic as soon as it hits it it is stuck fast and I have to pull it out with the tractor.

ARGH the water hyacinth did not go. It is stuck this side of the bridge. I got a third of the creek running but when I crossed to the other side the water hyacinth was very thick that I was walking on and I saw a black tail disappear into the water hyacinth so I left it. It will die being out of water in about a week at a guess and then it will be thinner and lighter and hopefully will not be a harbour for snakes.

Home again. It is sooo wet here, overcast weather and a few showers is all that it needs now to keep things saturated.
Your place certainly looks different to previous photos OME.
I've just about finished in Brisbane now just gotta go down on Saturday to shift Jo on Sunday and do a few little tidy up jobs like putting the edging around the floating floor. I'll have to try and remember to get some photos.
I pick the car up tomorrow arvo.
Ken

I bet it looks great Ken. I have been taping and watching Room for Improvement!!!

A lovely day today, it didn't rain on me while pulling out water hyacinth!!.

Yesterday I found that the people on the boundary had put up the fence where I saw the snake, so I just changed it to going through the insulators and yay the fence was alive so I let the cattle down the other side of the creek.

I managed to get the creek flowing on this third of the side. I only went in 4 times. Gumboots, hat and all!!!! but lived to tell the tale. There doesn't seem to be any current near the shore. I don't know about in the middle of the creek, but the calves are crossing over to the other side, just not near the bridge.

I saw another snake as I was coming back up. I was walking near the waters edge pulling out water hyacinth with the rake and saw it leaving. It did stop momentarily to see what I was going to do. I didn't go after it with the rake as some people would have, so it happily left me behind and went the other way.

I pulled out more today and have just had a phone call with someone interested in coming on Saturday afternoon to see the clothes I don't fit into anymore. Fingers crossed she comes.

The green is drying off quickly here now. Only half the place had the good rain. Our northern country has frizzled as well, having had even less rain. And the new place still only has last year's black grass. So there's plenty of room for improvement. Any contributions to the rain gauge will be gratefully received. Big tracts of Queensland are still bone dry, despite media reports.

The roadtrains are rumbling past here nose to tail these days. The cattle are really starting to flow from NQ and the NT. With SA being so dry as well, the saleyards will be chock-a-block for a good while to come unless there's more rain to steady the flow.

It is amazing how different this country is.

We had a bit of sprinkling in the morning, but it was fine by the afternoon.

I started off helping hubby with him starting to put up the ramp he has made for the cattle to get on a truck. Then I went to the Markets with my friend and we did a lot of talking to people.

Home to have lunch and helped hubby again and then went down and pulled out water hyacinth again. My hands are sore this morning and I am having a riding lesson. So I won't be surprised if I can't keep the reins at the length that I want.

I've been looking at the sale catalogue for Sydney Royal Diana and there are some really nice heifers in the line up! I Think they might make a little too much for me to put back into a commercial herd but I really would like to get my hands on some of the females on offer.
I'm in the hunt for cows but before I can do much about it I need to write a proposal letter and have it approved. Local cows will likely be very expensive so I'm looking further out. I like Corey Ireland's cattle and there will be females for sale at his bull sale, not breed by Corey but his clients. They made big money a few years ago so I might be out of my depth but I might go just for a look.

I picked up the car on Thurs and been down in Brisbane. I'm real happy with it, cruises along real nice with cruise control, the dogs are very comfortable in it, Jed stretched out on back seat, Jamie on the floor and Bo on front seat. I have to do one more trip down at the end of the week, I'll get the tow bar fitted and I just have to put some quad around the edge of the floating floor and then I'm finished. I've just about had enough of this commuting, I want to get a few things started around here.
Sounds like a bit of a procession of trucks Jilleroo. I would like to get my calves sold early but I think it will be a couple of weeks before I'll be able to load them, that is if it dries up but the showers just seem to keep coming. Trees are going over everywhere, they just can't get a hold onto the soil. I have to constantly check the fences and have a back log of repairs to do so am very keen to be finished with Brisbane.
Ken
Forgot the photos so next week

Latest posts