Australian Talk.

Help Support CattleToday:

Good news Havinago. Around here cattle bought at the weaner sales are usually kept for 12 months and then sold to the feedlots to finish, they tend to be mostly black cattle. I don't know what the situation is up your way with cattle with a fair bit of brahman in them. Jilleroo will be able to answer you when she comes back on air.
Suzie that was lucky with the cow, could have been nasty.
Dale where do they come from? When I google it the only thing that comes up is Kenya Generating Co.
As the season has turned a big corner I will probably wait until well into March to start selling.
We have just had a bit of a storm go through, fairly steady rain, just lighter stuff now, but will keep things damp.
Ken

Try tradetested.com.au Ken, you will see it there. Sparky had a look and felt it was what I needed. Glad you had a bit more rain yesterday, we are back in Brisbane dealing with the humidity, 6 days and Stanthorpe is finally home.

Hi Ken, thanks for the reply that is what im working on. I believe the brahman are a bit slower growing as you state. Ive noticed one of the 1st lot we bought in dec had a black in it and it has grown out of sight already compared to the others. Its cool watching them pack it on for the 1st time i was sick of seeing other peoples cattle bulk up and then gettin done over for aggist never again! Burglar im hearing you with the humidity im a tradie in Brissy and ive been feeling it.

Hi Suzie, we are just fattening steers atm. Buying weaners and growing them out to resell. Thanks for the advice tho!

So pleased your cattle survived Havinago - I was worried on your behalf! Looking forward to seeing some photos when you can manage it.
Suzi, glad your cow got out of the grid okay. Cattle usually do get themselves out no worries, horses are another thing. Some sad and bad stories with them in grids, including a big chestnut thoroughbred mare we'd had for years in the same paddock - broke both back legs after getting in while playing with another horse. The tiny black and white pony gelding just jumps them, can't bear to watch....
A dismal outlook for the season here, large tracts of western Qld bone dry, dams getting low. Agistment is non-existent but we've managed to secure some for a few hundred good heifers. We've had them through and tagged them and done them for botulism. We needled 150 to bring them into heat and have them held up close. The bully boys have been let loose to do their thing - they've been on a light grain diet for a couple of months to get them in peak form! Will truck all the heifers later this week, the agistment is about 180kms away so not too far. We've also joined the heifers we already have on agistment. Until the season breaks, we just have to play everything by ear - as hubby always says, hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Hubby managed to destroy the cattle grid by trying to pick it up with the David Brown. So we had roadbase delivered yesterday and filled it in. Now lol he can make a gate with the old cattle grid!!!

I've been down in Brisbane for the last couple of days. We are starting work on Pam's unit, been installing a new HWS and removing wallpaper. I have a doctors appointment in Toowoomba tomorrow. I'll go back down to Brissie on Friday. My intention is to spend a bit of time down there during Feb/March and get the renovations done before I wean the calves, then I'll be tied up with feeding the bulls.
I feel for you Jilleroo and if I had connections upstairs I would put a request for some rain but I don't so I shall just hope. The fellow in The Land reckons there will be a bit of a pause with rain at until mid to late Feb when the monsoon trough will become active again so hopefully there might be something then, but it does seem that time is running out.
Ken

While up at Toowoomba I picked up some rubber belt for my feed trough and this arvo I fitted it. Turned out pretty good I thought, tomorrow I'll cut out some ply to screw on the ends of it.
2013_02060006.jpg

Ken

Best wishes Dale for a smooth move into your new place - congratulations! Hopefully tomorrow night you'll be able to sit and have a (Stanthorpe) wine as you take in the green scenery....

A scary episode yesterday. I went down to the other side of the creek before breakfast. This is not totally unusual for me as I have never had to have breakfast before doing stuff before, but of course I am 40 kg less than I used to be so not as much reserves as I had before.

I did the usual things in the morning like doing pilates by myself for about 10 minutes, I just didn't have breaky before walking down to next door to do pilates with them again and then from there walked down to the other side of the creek to start on cleaning the fences from the flood.

Every post was pulled out, so I had to clean the debris on three wires and pull them back to where they should be and try and stand up the posts and push then down into the mud with just a a pair of pliers and reattach the wires.

The fences seemed really long and being born a redhead I try not to be out after 10am, as they say to stay out of the sun between 10am and 4pm in Summer, continually on the news, because of skin cancer, dehydration, etc.

I hadn't got half way when it was 10am and I have been out until 11am the last couple of days, but I felt I had had enough and would walk up. I didn't fell very strong and thought I would rather walk up through the paddock than go back along the road to home. However the creek was up so I couldn't get home that way without getting wet.

So I sighed and started the long walk home along the road. I had only been walking 10 minutes when I came along my neighbour who was cleaning the debris fromt he flood off her fence and stopped for a natter.

I was wearing jeans, gumboots, a long sleeved t-shirtm and a hat. The long sleeves because the first day I manged to get sunburnt and wind burnt. Not to mention insect bites and thorns in my fingers!!!! While I was doing the fence I was also wearing gloves.

I was talking to her for a few minutes. Me on one side of the fence and her on the other. I had my hands on the wire. The first thing that happened was my hearing went a bit tinny. Then my eyesight went funny and then blackness and I couldn't see anything.

I was still carrying on a conversation as I was still conscious when she asked what was wrong. Apparently I was staring so my eyes were open but I couldn't see and I was starting to lean forward on the fence and she was afraid I was going to fall, so she told me to sit down.

As soon as I sat down I started to see grey scale and then the colour came back and I could see again.

I felt fine, but she wouldn't let me walk home and rang her husband to come and get me.

He drove me home and I felt fine and had something to eat, but did fall asleep and slept a long time. I was going into town and I was surprised to see the time was a quarter to five, so I went into Town to see my Dr.

He had just finished his last patient and the receptionist asked him if I was in a hurry, he told me to go in and sit down.

He said he wasn't too worried. It is probably not a brain tumor as I still wouldn't be able to see. Probably a mini stroke that has righted itself, but I am going into Ipswich on Monday to get a CT Head Scan just to rule things out. He said my blood pressure was up but that was because of me worrying about what it could be, and all my other blood pressure tests in my file had been okay.

I have felt fine today. I made sure I had breakfast first and the fences didn't look long this morning at all. I did the rest of the fence on that side, which was longer than what I did yesterday, and it was then 10am. I felt I could keep going on the next fence, but came back home just to be sensible. I also drove the car down and back instead of walking.

Oh and argh at walking into the garage door this morning because I went in to replenish my insulator supply and wearing a hat I didn't see that I hadn't opened the garage door high enough to walk out without ducking!!!!

Not my position to say so, but I think you need a new doctor. It sounds pretty obvious to me that you had a sugar crash from lack of carbs. It happens to me on occasion including the long sleep afterword. It wears you out. Best of luck Suzie, and start taking care of yourself.

That is awful Suzie, so sorry to hear. Thanks Jilleroo and Ken, for your well wishes, we moved in yesterday without a hitch. Lots of unpacking to do, likely take a few days. We had a 40ft container from Nashville along with another full truck of things that had been stored in Brisbane while we lived overseas. Not sure where we are going to put everything. Our house here is half the size of our Nashville property. Guess Gumtree and trading post will be getting some listing from us shortly.

Ken, when you back you must pop over for a beverage.

That sounds a bit like us Burglar. Only a 2 bedroom cottage here, so we still have a lot of stuff unpacked and then when Papa moved all his stuff came here until he found a house. He then bought a house with furniture. When Mum moved my sister made her buy all new furniture and again a lot of stuff came here.

I found a bargain today. I went to the Markets and there was a clearance sale of clothes for $2.00 One I bought was a colourful swimsuit. Another a really nice white top. I bought 10 all together.

LOL Burglar

A new friend of mine mentioned that she is having a garage sale, so I said I could bring the clothes and sell there. She was a dress maker and says she has all the stands to hang them on.

So we can sort through and take a lot of stuff that we don't use.

She said that what I experienced on Thursday was more likeyly dehydration. I have read previously that accidents in Queensland go up in Summer because of dehydration. People drink coffee, beer and soft drinks which are all dehydrating and then when they are driving they are affected and blink and whammo a car accident.

In the beginning I started with blinking, so if I was in a car i would have said blinking, but because a car accident didn't stop me I then progressed to not being able to see.

I am off to Ipswich this morning for a CT head scan just to rule anything else out.

I'm back for a recovery day and then back to Brissie on Wed. We are making good progress though some of the wallpaper is proving to be a bit of a mongrel. Fortunately I have moved on to more technical things like demolishing an old built in wardrobe and framing it for more modern sliding doors and plastering. Poor Pam and Jo put in a massive day yesterday working on just one wall that seemed to have an outer vinyl layer and an inner vinyl layer that was very difficult to penetrate with the liquid stripper and steam, very tough going but they persisted, massive day for them. I am now able to get the back half of the unit that is thebedrooms and bathrooms ready for painting, another day of preparation and then I should be able to get onto the painting which will be a breeze once the prep is all under control.
Yeh Dale I would love to come around for a cuppa but will give you a bit of time to get sorted and for me to get this work in Brissie under control. Did you get much rain last night? Only 8mm here but 36mm around at Sugarloaf Rd.
Hope your feeling better Suzie, you have had a lot happening lately with job etc but it is worthwhile getting a few things checked out anyway.
Ken

No worries Ken, Not surprised you had 36mm on Sugarloaf, we watched the storm travel over your hill on the way to town. We were on the edge and received 18 mm here, a good drenching and topped up the tanks once again. One of the builders in town had 46mm. Speaking of tanks, I have ordered another 2. I am fast learning the value of water to rural life.

Latest posts