Australian Sheperd

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Im looking for an aussie pup in arkansas but what i would like to know is that are the males or females easier to train for cattle dogs.

Wow ~ there's a question that has been asked since people started training. I would say female in general, but put MUCH more stock in the individual pup. Make sure both parents are working dogs (that is if you want your pup to work). This does not mean the breeder tells you that the parents are working, it means watch the parents work. Any breeder with working dogs will be proud to show you what their dogs can do. If they won;t show you for ANY reason, go somewhere else.

It does not matter if they have papers or not. Don't think you should pay less for non papered animals ~ it means nothing in the pasture.

That being said, I sold aussie pups this summer, one litter. My pups were raised in the house with us. We had alot of time to observe and learn the pups. If someone came out and wanted a cattle pup, I could tell them which their best choices were. "This is the best pup for what you want."
Some want pup for a pet rather than work, I can tell them which would work best. Listen to the breeder, they want a happy customer. Some just pick for pretty and hope it works.

I more than answered your question, but is a topic near and dear to me. Good luck and have fun with pup! I love my aussie!!!! Her picture is currently last one posted on dog pics thread:)

Latest posts