Aubrac bull

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
A friend from another forum gave me this pic of an Aubrac (NOT Tarentaise) bull that was entered in a fair in Scotland.

bull_1_2_.jpg

I don't have any other info on this bull except the pic. BUT, I was wondering what you thought of him, both the good and the bad...just out of curiousity. ;-)

Don't know much about the breed, but I'll give it a shot. Good length, but don't like the sheath or topline, and the scrotum looks pretty small in relation to his size. May be just the picture, though. Are Tarentaise always that muscular? He almost looks double-muscled.

Even though I raise Angus, I cannot help but like these cattle along with the Piedmontese.
We had a freezer full of Piedmontese, and I can't say that I have bought anything from the store better, ribeyes and all, not knocking any other breed.

These breeds are born small, and then the gene for the muscling kicks in after birth. They are such easy keepers and they look as though they have been grained heavily since they could eat solids. This kind of gene only makes sense when thinking what you put in your pocket. The muscling is very eye appealing and a good start on getting rid of the "funnel butt."
The buyer controls what we raise, so we supply what brings the most money.

This is a really long bull. I have noticed the really long bulls want to stand with their backs dropped. Traveler 004, Pfred, EXT bred bulls, Emblazon, GAR Retail Product and so many more that they can't be listed. Most of these bulls I found, I would definitely breed cows to. Then there are a lot that have a straight back and then there are the fuzzy pictures that have been doctored up. Mostly the fuzzy pictures in the semen catalog like they can't afford a good picture. Some of the good pictures, a line is detected.

Do you want a dipped back with pounds or do you want a straight back with a funnel butt and less desireable numbers?
There is always a trade off, and can go with any combination of things.

We have a really long bull that reminds me of a Dashund, short legs etc...., but so very heavy and stout. When he walks he carries his back straight, but has a tendency to let his back drop if he stands a certain way. I wish he wouldn't do that.
It doesn't look good for the show ring,(not planning on showing him) and it is supposed to be a weakness. If he passes his muscling, numbers, and weight, then he can stand anyway he wants to.

I definitely would choose a straight backed bull if I had to choose between two bulls of equal quality since I like the looks, and it is a desired trait. But I can't say that I have actually heard of anyone keeping a bull so long that his back broke.

I have heard of large bulls getting young heifers and old cows down by hurting their backs.
The long bulls with the dropped backs seem to be selling a lot of semen. Length gives more meat and ease of carrying calves and calving. The pounds they put on their offspring and the dollars they put in the owners pocket, makes the dip in the back less noticable.
Chuckie

Chuckie-

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :clap: :clap: :banana: :banana: :nod: This is one of the funniest posts I have read in a long time! You have hit several subjects right on the nail head! This is getting the comments right down to the nitty gritty!

You are a Gem!

DOC HARRIS

doesnt look much like any Tarentaise i have ever seen. most are red (not brown) and i dont know of any with a white nose ring and white legs. i have my suspicions of actual breed.

where did the pic come from?

do these look suspiciously similar?

max2.JPG

shoshone1.JPG

this is traditional tarentaise

patriotpirate_500.jpg

He looks a bit weak in the pasterns to me-I'm going to check out the herd of them up here if I'm ever close by them. You could sure hide them in a herd of Tarentaise not too many people of heard of Aubrocs.

Aero: The pic was taken somewhere in Scotland, I didn't get WHERE in Scotland though.

Oh yeah, now that you mentioned it, I did a bit of looking up on Aubrac bulls and they DO look suspiciously familiar...shoot!! Sorry. :oops:

Thanks for the correction. I'm gonna change the title from Tarentaise to Aubrac right....now.

i would agree that this particular animal is a bit lacking in the scrotal department and his front pasterns look a little tired, but he still looks better than most mature bulls you see. from the Aubracs i have seen, he has below average pasterns, sheath and scrotal and average muscling with above average length.

he looks like a great terminal animal. most of the Aubracs i have seen would be much better for retaining. tomorrow i should be seeing about 40-50 aubrac sired calves that are about 60-90 days old. there should be some AI bulls there too.

Aero":cejvurzb said:
i would agree that this particular animal is a bit lacking in the scrotal department and his front pasterns look a little tired, but he still looks better than most mature bulls you see. from the Aubracs i have seen, he has below average pasterns, sheath and scrotal and average muscling with above average length.

he looks like a great terminal animal. most of the Aubracs i have seen would be much better for retaining. tomorrow i should be seeing about 40-50 aubrac sired calves that are about 60-90 days old. there should be some AI bulls there too.
I feel certain that this bull is, in fact, an Aubrac (pronounced "Oh - Brack") bull. If you will look back to the original picture in this thread, - if the bull were turned around 180 degrees, and standing with his front feet where his rear feet are originally, his weight would be slightly shifted toward his hindquarters, his topline would be a little more level, and his scrotum would be lower than it is in the picture. Facing "downhill", as it were, causes the Cremaster Muscle to contract, thereby retracting the Testicles upward toward the body cavity. Also note that the people around the area are wearing jackets, sweaters, and lab coats, indicating that the ambient temperature is at least chilly - which is also a reason for the scrotum appearing constricted-seeking warmth - it is a part of the Thermo-Regulatory system which keeps the Spermatozoa at a viable temperature thereby keep them motile.

These examples are another justification for being aware of minor "details" in seedstock selection protocols, and determining which selection decisions are really important, and which one's are merely interesting to know, and not critical in the final dispensation of seedstock selection.

DOC HARRIS

Hello, Doc and Aero --

You're right. That bull's an Aubrac. To take a stab, I'd say he's probably a son of either Orfevre or Outsider, two French AI known for producing progeny with tremendous length of body.

As many farmers in Europe have repopulated their herds after outbreaks of BSE and FMD, many have turned to Aubrac genetics. There is tremendous growth of Aubrac cattle in Ireland, England and Scotland.

Best,

Aubracusa
http://www.aubracusa.com

Latest posts