Aubrac bull -- a really big boy

Help Support CattleToday:

WalnutCrest

Reaction score
As a breed, they are moderately framed, thick dense cattle.

... except ... and only very very rarely ... a greatly outsized animal will arrive and, almost without exception, French bull named Heros will be behind it.

Heros kids, almost without exception, have excellent structure, calm temperaments, and produce elite daughters with the prepotency continuing for generations, etc. He was born in 1992 and the French still seek out his daughters, grand daughters, and great grand daughters. We are fortunate to own (we believe) 100% of the global supply of his semen and have used him in our AI and ET work without hesitation.

We also have, we believe, 100% of the global supply of his 1991-born half brother (same sire, different dam), a bull named Goeland ... who doesn't ever produce these rare huge critters. We've used him in our AI and ST program without hesitating, too.

Well, here is a bull who is a half brother to my herd sire (Zach; FS 4.0 and 2000 lbs) ... same dam, different sires ... and the bull pictured below has Heros as a great great grand sire ... apparently, the size gene skipped several generations. Heros isn't anywhere in my bull's pedigree, fwiw ...

So, this bull (below) is a FS 7 (ish) and tips the scale at 3000 lbs (ish). Perfect feet, testes, and puppy dog gentle. He's four years old.

He'd make someone a beck of a terminal sire. He'd also make awesome replacements if big cows were your thing. His birth weight was 95 lbs, born several hours north of the Canadian border (were calves come much bigger).

Wow, he is massive, though I still have a hard time believing 3000 lbs. The dark front half reminds me of some Tarantaise bulls I've seen (Dylan Biggs had one)

WalnutCrest":3q9hht01 said:

... except ... and only very very rarely ... a greatly outsized animal will arrive and, almost without exception, French bull named Heros will be behind it.

Heros kids, almost without exception, have excellent structure, calm temperaments, and produce elite daughters with the prepotency continuing for generations, etc. He was born in 1992 and the French still seek out his daughters, grand daughters, and great grand daughters. We are fortunate to own (we believe) 100% of the global supply of his semen and have used him in our AI and ET work without hesitation.

We also have, we believe, 100% of the global supply of his 1991-born half brother (same sire, different dam), a bull named Goeland ... who doesn't ever produce these rare huge critters. We've used him in our AI and ST program without hesitating, too.

Well, here is a bull who is a half brother to my herd sire (Zach; FS 4.0 and 2000 lbs) ... same dam, different sires ... and the bull pictured below has Heros as a great great grand sire ... apparently, the size gene skipped several generations. Heros isn't anywhere in my bull's pedigree, fwiw ...

So, this bull (below) is a FS 7 (ish) and tips the scale at 3000 lbs (ish). Perfect feet, testes, and puppy dog gentle. He's four years old.

He'd make someone a beck of a terminal sire. He'd also make awesome replacements if big cows were your thing. His birth weight was 95 lbs, born several hours north of the Canadian border (were calves come much bigger).

Very masculine. You like double muscling?

houstoncutter":3197x0cw said:
I like him, but I do see one thing fault that may just be the pictures. He looks to be a bit small in the cods

1 -- no close up pictures of his cods are available ... he's a modest sorta guy.
2 -- grass only; no fattening ration

The hindquarters. That's a trait of that breed? If you don't have double muscling more power to them.
I'm definitely late to this thread but most of the time when people think Aubracs have double muscling, it's just heavy muscling. There are some older bulls that carried a DM gene (like many breeds) but the vast majority of Aubracs are not DM carriers and even fewer would carry 2 copies to express DM. My standard for Aubrac bulls is Maximus, pictured below. This is heavy muscling and no DM.

Attachments

• Maximus.jpg
    Maximus.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 55

I must be really late to the thread the photos won't come up for me.

I must be really late to the thread the photos won't come up for me.
The pictures in the opening post were posted using a non CT image app called Post Image. (postimg) Either the user dropped the app or the pics are no longer in Walnut Crest's Post Image album.

Latest posts