ATV's

Help Support CattleToday:

I've had Honda and Yamaha and both have been reliable and useful, but the Yamaha used a lot more gas.
Polaris RZR side by side was good too, but it needed a remote air filter due to bad engineering/position of the stock air cleaner. I think the newer ones have solved that issue.

I must live too close to a bunch of wealthy grain farmers with fancy JD Gators and diesel Kubotas, haha. It does depend on what you want to use it for. Do you need to drive distances on roads? Do you need to haul stuff or people (or both)? Hills? Bogs? Wet? Dry?

I have a low end JD Gator with 2 row seating -- 2nd row folds flat -- it's not very powerful, nor fast. But, I use it as a defacto pick-up truck because I don't need to drive it more than 1.5 miles in any direction. It's easy to get into and out of -- which admittedly was a bigger concern than I would have guessed -- but some side by sides are surprisingly hard to get into (imo).

We've really liked our Polaris Ranger. It has plenty of power and can go fast if needed, it also has a work mode and a performance mode. It has about the highest ground clearance of any of them.
For us I think it works probably better as far as maneuverability than some of the others except for maybe Can-Am or Honda which may be more comparable.
When we bought ours the sales people recommended Polaris over Honda because of the size of the bed and ease of dumping from the bed. Though I do like the fact that the Hondas are not belt driven.
We HAD a Honda side by side. Mr FH wanted it because of the transmission (holds back better when going down steep grades) but it was so HOT inside that we could not stand it, so got rid of it and got the Polaris Ranger. The space between the seat back and the seat was unbearable; even if we stuck things back there. We like Honda everything and that was a good machine outside of you couldn't stand to be in it. They don't make their own cab and the after-market cab leaves a lot to be desired, especially in winter. Honda doesn't seem to care, either.

We HAD a Honda side by side. Mr FH wanted it because of the transmission (holds back better when going down steep grades) but it was so HOT inside that we could not stand it, so got rid of it and got the Polaris Ranger. The space between the seat back and the seat was unbearable; even if we stuck things back there. We like Honda everything and that was a good machine outside of you couldn't stand to be in it. They don't make their own cab and the after-market cab leaves a lot to be desired, especially in winter. Honda doesn't seem to care, either.

I will say that when I got my honda pioneer it was hot just like you said. I almost got rid of it. I ended up getting some heat shield material and putting it under the seat along with a few other places and it significantly reduced the heat felt.

If you want a utv with cab and hvac then don't look at honda. My next one will likely be a Polaris Ranger northstar because I want an enclosed cab with heat and air.

I am looking towards getting a new UTV. I have a CFMoto (about 8 yrs old) UTV which I can't complain about other than it gets hot inside during summer and access to things like the oil filter is difficult for servicing. I am going to Farmfest next month and will have a good look at them and what I will pay a lot of attention to is underneath. I drive a lot in heavily timbered country with lots of fallen eucalypt branches and sticks on the tracks. The wheel will drive over a stick and kick it up and it gets caught underneath. The plastic floor with its reinforcing ribs are just waiting to catch the end of every stick. I would say the floor only lasted a couple of years, it is pretty dangerous, driving along and a big stick forces its way through the floor right up to that personal space between your legs. I put heavy mats in which gives you a bit more time to react to it and recently put heavy ply under the drivers side which has helped a lot. Sometimes what comes through the floor pushes your foot from the pedals so you can't respond. Power steering is something I'd like as well.
Do any of you have recommendations for one that might have a stronger and cleaner floor pan. Speed is not an issue here, most tracks are pretty rough and slow speeds are the order of the day. I will probably look at the base model ones with the smaller gas engines.

Ken

Our Polaris ranger 1000 has the engine braking for going down hills. It does real well and feels safe even with a pretty good load.

I will say that when I got my honda pioneer it was hot just like you said. I almost got rid of it. I ended up getting some heat shield material and putting it under the seat along with a few other places and it significantly reduced the heat felt.

If you want a utv with cab and hvac then don't look at honda. My next one will likely be a Polaris Ranger northstar because I want an enclosed cab with heat and air.
Can-Am has heat, air, and electric windows on theirs now.😄

I am looking towards getting a new UTV. I have a CFMoto (about 8 yrs old) UTV which I can't complain about other than it gets hot inside during summer and access to things like the oil filter is difficult for servicing. I am going to Farmfest next month and will have a good look at them and what I will pay a lot of attention to is underneath. I drive a lot in heavily timbered country with lots of fallen eucalypt branches and sticks on the tracks. The wheel will drive over a stick and kick it up and it gets caught underneath. The plastic floor with its reinforcing ribs are just waiting to catch the end of every stick. I would say the floor only lasted a couple of years, it is pretty dangerous, driving along and a big stick forces its way through the floor right up to that personal space between your legs. I put heavy mats in which gives you a bit more time to react to it and recently put heavy ply under the drivers side which has helped a lot. Sometimes what comes through the floor pushes your foot from the pedals so you can't respond. Power steering is something I'd like as well.
Do any of you have recommendations for one that might have a stronger and cleaner floor pan. Speed is not an issue here, most tracks are pretty rough and slow speeds are the order of the day. I will probably look at the base model ones with the smaller gas engines.

Ken
My CFMoto has a great underside, sealed in with a very tough, smooth plastic which I like much more that the aluminum that I've had on others. I travel in the bush and over rocks and so far it's holding up extremely well.
Very nice power steering as well.
As far as the oil filter, it takes about 3 minutes to remove the inner fender ahead of the right rear wheel to gain full access to the oil filter and makes the job extremely simple.

Ken
Im not sure if any of them have metal on bottom. They sell metal or heavier plastic, full skid plates though for most the major brands.

We have an Artic Cat 500. I have no idea how many miles or hours is on it. Probably well over 13,000 hours; dad bought it in 2006. It is used mostly for irrigating, and moving cows at the ranch. It's dads green horse. Replaced several of the drivelines and it is starting to drip oil. I turned the thing upside down last year, no major damage. It has had a pretty hard life, and is still ticking. Probably will run it until the wheels fall off; oh wait, already did that. I lost a rear wheel last year, put it back on and away we went again. I can't complain about it at all.

Our Polaris ranger 1000 has the engine braking for going down hills. It does real well and feels safe even with a pretty good load.
Ours does too. They have made them better for sure, but Mr FH says the Honda is still better for holding back. We have some pretty steep hills to go down in the Big Horn Mountains.

Good choice! Ours is the Northstar with taller wheels and it goes places the other ones wouldn't go as easy. That was a good idea putting a heat shield type material under the seat. We cut a hole in the roof and added a vent there but it didn't help. We also tried putting heavy insulation in places and that didn't work either. I have to say we don't miss the Honda, even through it ran perfectly, it was awful to try to ride in it getting so HOT. We went at times holding the doors open to keep it cooler. Nope, heat is a major flaw with the Hondas. This one has electric windows too, and that is a great feature. Plus more cameras than we know how to use. It's a pretty slick machine.

My CFMoto has a great underside, sealed in with a very tough, smooth plastic which I like much more that the aluminum that I've had on others. I travel in the bush and over rocks and so far it's holding up extremely well.
Very nice power steering as well.
As far as the oil filter, it takes about 3 minutes to remove the inner fender ahead of the right rear wheel to gain full access to the oil filter and makes the job extremely simple.
It sounds like you have a later model to mine Silver with a few improvements. I will check them out again as well.

Ken

Ken
That sounds nasty I would get someone to weld a sheet of metal underneath there somewhere if possible

View attachment 30479

I like the old Yamaha big bears/Kodiaks, simple machines, yeah, they aren't as comfy as newer ones but they've been really good for me. If I want nimble I'm going to be on a dirt bike
View attachment 30480
I have a 1998 Kodiak that has spent most of its 5000 miles pulling a 150 gallon sprayer with a 40 foot boom. Tough little machine. We'll worth the money if you find a decent one.

Ken
We've got a Ranger and I ran a limb through the floorboard this past winter, will definitely get your attention! I've got some old scraps of diamond plate laying around that I plan to make skid plates out of, one of these days.....

Latest posts