Attention Real Cattleman

Help Support CattleToday:

ffa dad":1wpxfwh6 said:
Why keep the calves, they still brought from $1.10 to $1.20 a pound.
Then it sounds to me like you're saying that your cross calves brought $137.50 to $147.50? That 's pretty good money for 6 to 7 weights, isn't it? I sure as heck wouldn't want them!

Texan":3vxldrvi said:
Then it sounds to me like you're saying that your cross calves brought $137.50 to $147.50? That 's pretty good money for 6 to 7 weights, isn't it? I sure as heck wouldn't want them!

Yeah Texan
Some people just can't be satisfied.

see, our sale barn has this nifty deal where they separate the cattle into 50-lb weight categories after the sale and list two calves in each category.....top total dollar and top dollar per pound. these are then listed on the internet & a little slip is sent to the seller who sold these animals. therefore, we are able to compare to other breeds and sellers. a couple of months ago we sold 7 calves that all fit into three categories & we received slips for all 3 categories they fit in. 2 categories the calf was top total dollar and top price/lb. it's very rare that we sell calves and don't make the list. as an added note.....one of the owners of that sale barn recently bought two herd bulls from us for his commercial cows. i would think he has a very good idea of what the order buyers want since he sees them buy thousands every week.

i will admit that our straight herefords don't make the list as often as our baldies but they also don't take the kind of hit you mentioned (they're usually about $.05/lb behind the baldies (red or black)). i would also never suggest anyone run straight-bred anything unless they were raising seedstock. BUT, you don't get baldies without herefords.

Sounds like a good deal. What sale barn do you use?

txshowmom":8k3y8g77 said:
Sounds like a good deal. What sale barn do you use?

i could tell ya but then i'd have to kill ya ;-) :lol:

if you like the idea, maybe you can suggest it to your barn owners. shouldn't be too hard to implement.....a computer can spit it out as soon as the sale's over.

Why can't you tell me? If its close maybe I can use thsame one or look up their sale online.

txshowmom":38rum3h1 said:
Why can't you tell me? If its close maybe I can use thsame one or look up their sale online.

because i don't think it's anyone's business where i live. maybe you tell us where you live first & then i'll consider telling you.

So you think that by telling me what salebarn you use that I'll know where you live. Give me a beak. We have used salebarns in Beeville, Sealy, Gatesville, Three Rivers and others. Can you tell me where I live????

txshowmom":10cuf9z5 said:
So you think that by telling me what salebarn you use that I'll know where you live. Give me a beak. We have used salebarns in Beeville, Sealy, Gatesville, Three Rivers and others. Can you tell me where I live????

if you use those sale barns, then ours probably wouldn't be close for you.

like i said, if you really like the idea, then talk to your barn owners.

"south central Texas" isn't that what is on all of your posts? That sound regional. So what gives on the location of a stinkin sale barn?

ollie":2b6rfw7h said:
I'm not a Hereford breeder but if I ran a feedlot I would rather have a pen of good Herefords than a sorry set of blacks.

Thanks, Ollie. Several of my feelings were starting to get hurt.
I've never seen or heard of that great a difference in price under comparable circumstances. I can certainly see where you could run straight-bred Herefords and sell CHB and come out OK.
Another point I'd make is that you should look at the cost of maintenance and equipment repair and take that into the equation when you decide what breed of cattle is most profitable.

Furthermore, I don't have pinkeye trouble, and I don't know of more than two cases in the last three years among my acquaintances. We have made great strides against our problems, and some folks are still a little slow about realizing it. Other breeds do have problems and weaknesses of their own as well.

greenwillowherefords":ppo99ca0 said:
ollie":ppo99ca0 said:
I'm not a Hereford breeder but if I ran a feedlot I would rather have a pen of good Herefords than a sorry set of blacks.

Thanks, Ollie. Several of my feelings were starting to get hurt.
I've never seen or heard of that great a difference in price under comparable circumstances. I can certainly see where you could run straight-bred Herefords and sell CHB and come out OK.
Another point I'd make is that you should look at the cost of maintenance and equipment repair and take that into the equation when you decide what breed of cattle is most profitable.

Furthermore, I don't have pinkeye trouble, and I don't know of more than two cases in the last three years among my acquaintances. We have made great strides against our problems, and some folks are still a little slow about realizing it. Other breeds do have problems and weaknesses of their own as well.

Local breed biases in different areas do exist. At hte local barn (pre-fire) anything that looked like straighbred Hereford got docked badly. Travel 100 miles west and there wasn't a dock for Herefords. But if the order buyers were mostly from the north, Brahman and Braman influenced cattle got docked, yet if the buyers came in from OK and TX Brahmans and Brahman influnced would frequently top the sale.
But except for those areas that have biases, black, red, spotted, whatever, animals of equal quality will sell the same.

dun

There are several small ranchers that are raising British White called. I'm one of them, I've no doubt that a British White bull on a commercial herd would vastly improve the quality of replacement heifers and steers, and you will have growthy animals. See http://www.texasbritishwhitecattle.com for photos of some of my herd. I've crossed some registered Angus females with British White bulls and have had excellent and quite striking results.

(Ryder - I received an e-mail from you that didn't stay in my files so I can't reply, I"m having computer problems, thanks for your comments and contact. Jimmie)

Thanks "Arnold Ziffle" (is that for real? :). The web site and the place are a lot of work, not to mention the cattle, so it's good to hear a little praise. I looked into Campground Cattle, and was surprised to see that I am near that 'operation'. I've actually sold him a cross heifer as well. A beautiful girl, that was sired by a British White, and the dam was a Brangus/Holstein cross.

Wow, I didn't even cause any problems on this post, but it was fun to read! Showmom did your original question get lost in the storm.

Alan