Real Winter Pics

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef":cde9c608 said:
that's nuts

Funny. This is exactly what I say to myself every time I take hay out. Turns out the snow will actually take down gates and fence too so when it does melt you have to go replace all your insulators (as if the fence was really working anyway) and put the gates back up that you had to take down to get the tractor through.

cfpinz":1vxg3h81 said:
Is that a 7740? How does it handle that big blower? I put a blower about that size on my 7710 and it didn't think much of it, so I bought an 8260 this year along with a 10' front blade and we've only had about 2" of snow. Go figure.

Is that tractor missing a door or am I seeing something wrong?

Neat pictures by the way.

Its an 8340. Handles the blower great. We go by the motto of the less equipment the better, but that does mean what we do have gets worked hard. It's missing a door because the hinges went on it. That part I dont really mind. My dad tried to use the post pounder with the back window open this fall and that didnt work out so well. Missing that back window really does suck. I've got that on order.

I don't think any of us in the southern part of the country envy you guys or your cold nasty winter weather but you seem to be working well with it.

TexasBred":12j5z5u9 said:
I don't think any of us in the southern part of the country envy you guys or your cold nasty winter weather but you seem to be working well with it.

For us its just life. Like Ken said earlier, we dont need any sympathy. That being said, when I see waht some guys get for flooding or drought, I sure do feel bad. We are blessed. All this snow means water and I've never once worried about not having any. Heck, I dont even have to pump it. Just let the springs flow and run it in PVC wherever I want it. It's tough when we really get dumped on, but its only 2-4 times a year. But you can see why we shoot for April and May calves and why I always call myself stupid for buying any winter calvers.

artesianspringsfarm":12tb5lgu said:
TexasBred":12tb5lgu said:

For us its just life. Like Ken said earlier, we dont need any sympathy. That being said, when I see waht some guys get for flooding or drought, I sure do feel bad. We are blessed. All this snow means water and I've never once worried about not having any. Heck, I dont even have to pump it. Just let the springs flow and run it in PVC wherever I want it. It's tough when we really get dumped on, but its only 2-4 times a year. But you can see why we shoot for April and May calves and why I always call myself stupid for buying any winter calvers.
I wasn't offering any sympathy. :mrgreen: :lol2: Yes I can see how you would need to work with mother nature every way possible in that climate. Most folks down this way try to avoid summer calves because of the heat. Mother nature determines a lot of what we do and when we do it.

Great pictures
now that's where these ol Brahman cross cattle would not make it
shows different breeds are needed for different parts of country, what works well might not work someplace else.

I was thinking while looking at these pictures about a deer I saw one time that was killed in Maine , I think , When I first saw him I said that deer did not come from Okla. he had what I call down hair almost like a fine wool hair under his reg. hair the man that killed him lived there and said they have a thick layer of fat that also helps keep them warm. I said all that to ask do you see that in cattle?
maybe you will understand what I am asking, I don' always make myself clear.

Artesian, You must be located in the Tug Hill area that got slammed with the lake effect snow for a week straight. I'm in Steuben county, so we miss the lake effect snow from both Lake Erie and Lake Ontario. I think we have only had 14" since Jan 1st. Great pics.

BRYANT":2zafxyxb said:
Great pictures
now that's where these ol Brahman cross cattle would not make it
shows different breeds are needed for different parts of country, what works well might not work someplace else.

I was thinking while looking at these pictures about a deer I saw one time that was killed in Maine , I think , When I first saw him I said that deer did not come from Okla. he had what I call down hair almost like a fine wool hair under his reg. hair the man that killed him lived there and said they have a thick layer of fat that also helps keep them warm. I said all that to ask do you see that in cattle?
maybe you will understand what I am asking, I don' always make myself clear.

Bryant, incredibly coarse and thick winter coat, yes. Extra fat, no. They only get what we feed them and other than maybe some cereals to graze at end of the fall, they dont get anything that would really fatten them up. They do get second cutting when its at its nastiest and that helps keep the condition on.

nagwag":4rm3lg54 said:
Artesian, You must be located in the Tug Hill area that got slammed with the lake effect snow for a week straight. I'm in Steuben county, so we miss the lake effect snow from both Lake Erie and Lake Ontario. I think we have only had 14" since Jan 1st. Great pics.

Right between Pulaski and Sandy Creek, a little further east so yep, we get pounded.

artesianspringsfarm":o3tw8h1r said:
Not to poke fun at any of you Southerners or anything, but here is what winter is for us. I dont know what we did to deserve it but we are standing at 119" in the last 7 days. Not ideal for cattle care for sure. Not all pics are cattle related but thought some may enjoy nonetheless. I love seeing other regions through pictures on these boards

]

Very nice pics ... I am jealous if I could get two snows like that here I could retire early :lol: However the animals would not share my excitement.