Attention Real Cattleman

Help Support CattleToday:

Texan":3cdsaydo said:
rgv4":3cdsaydo said:
So now I only buy from reputable and well known ranches. This is how I make my living, so this is the way that I run my business.
I want you to know that I respect all of your opinions, but you also have to respect that this is my opinion and the way that I run my business.
Your money, your business. But saying that all smaller breeders are out to cheat you, or don't care about a satisfied customer involves the same mentality as saying all Lims are idiots and all Herefords have eye trouble. I'd say that whatever works for you, continue to do it!

Guess I lost that sale not being a real cattleman and a small potatoes operation to boot. :shock:

Texan":18u45zvr said:
rgv4":18u45zvr said:
So now I only buy from reputable and well known ranches. This is how I make my living, so this is the way that I run my business.
I want you to know that I respect all of your opinions, but you also have to respect that this is my opinion and the way that I run my business.
Your money, your business. But saying that all smaller breeders are out to cheat you, or don't care about a satisfied customer involves the same mentality as saying all Lims are idiots and all Herefords have eye trouble. I'd say that whatever works for you, continue to do it!

First: I totally understand you doing business this way. It really isn't anybodyelse's business how you spend your money.

Second: If you talk to the feedlot buyer's at the salebarns in Texas, they pay less money for Hereford's because of the Pinkeye problems. The feedlots don't want to have to deal with it. We ran Hereford bulls on one bunch of comm. cows one year and got an average of 27 1/2 cents less a pound then on the other calves that came out of the Simbrah and Beefmaster bulls. Needless to say the next Hereford's that we sold were the two bulls.

ffa dad":1inf0cpm said:
Texan":1inf0cpm said:
rgv4":1inf0cpm said:

First: I totally understand you doing business this way. It really isn't anybodyelse's business how you spend your money.

Second: If you talk to the feedlot buyer's at the salebarns in Texas, they pay less money for Hereford's because of the Pinkeye problems. The feedlots don't want to have to deal with it. We ran Hereford bulls on one bunch of comm. cows one year and got an average of 27 1/2 cents less a pound then on the other calves that came out of the Simbrah and Beefmaster bulls. Needless to say the next Hereford's that we sold were the two bulls.

It's not like that everywhere. Black-baldies rule around here.

ffa dad":1mv6a138 said:

First, you were in such a hurry to slam herefords you didn't even realize that Texan's post wasn't about herefords but about small breeders.

Second, someone obviously didn't tell the order buyers in our area because good quality calves bring good money regardless of breed or color.

Third, we've raised herefords for over 30 years and i can't even remember the last case of pinkeye (& no, we don't vaccinate for it)

Second: If you talk to the feedlot buyer's at the salebarns in Texas, they pay less money for Hereford's because of the Pinkeye problems. The feedlots don't want to have to deal with it. We ran Hereford bulls on one bunch of comm. cows one year and got an average of 27 1/2 cents less a pound then on the other calves that came out of the Simbrah and Beefmaster bulls. Needless to say the next Hereford's that we sold were the two bulls.[/quote]

We had this same problem back in the 90's, when we bought some Reg. Hereford bulls. Not only the lower prices at the salebarn, but, we lost one bull to anaplasmosis, and a couple of bull yearlings to it also. The herefords just didn't seem to do as well in this part of the country as the Brahman type cattle.

Its most unfortunate, but in many instances (and definitely not limited to Herefords or the cattle business in general) --- as a practical matter these days perception = reality.

Old conventional wisdom and old prejudices die hard: Herefords mean pinkeye problems, Limo's are wild as hell, Limos and Charolais won't milk, Charolais and most Simmie's are heifer killers, can't keep any Angus bull from crashing through a fence, etc., etc.

txag":3gtb0e1u said:
ffa dad":3gtb0e1u said:

First, you were in such a hurry to slam herefords you didn't even realize that Texan's post wasn't about herefords but about small breeders.

Second, someone obviously didn't tell the order buyers in our area because good quality calves bring good money regardless of breed or color.

Third, we've raised herefords for over 30 years and i can't even remember the last case of pinkeye (& no, we don't vaccinate for it)

Never had a case of pinkeye, but we are small and unreal cattlemen breeder. :mad:
I beat the black calves at the salebarn, it's about quality here also.
:lol:

ffa dad":2pri8jy0 said:
If you talk to the feedlot buyer's at the salebarns in Texas, they pay less money for Hereford's because of the Pinkeye problems.
If you talk to order buyers in Texas, you'll find that they're just like order buyers anywhere else. They don't decide the dollar figures on an order. Either they can get you some cattle bought in the money or you won't get any. They don't care why.

txag":2pri8jy0 said:
someone obviously didn't tell the order buyers in our area because good quality calves bring good money regardless of breed or color.
Its the same in my area, txag. Don't notice any discrimination here against something because of a white face.

OK. What kind of cattle do you guys run? Texan and Txag.

I think Txag you said that you run Herefords.

If you only run Herefords or Hereford crosses, then you have no comparison if the calves are bringing the same amount of money at the sale barn as the other calves are.

Just to let you guys know also, my inlaws run two feedlots, and since I experienced the less price in a comparison of my own cattle I felt that I was qualified to put that statement on the board.

You have your own opinions and I have mine.

I'm not a Hereford breeder but if I ran a feedlot I would rather have a pen of good Herefords than a sorry set of blacks.

ffa dad":3d5q0l7y said:
If you only run Herefords or Hereford crosses, then you have no comparison if the calves are bringing the same amount of money at the sale barn as the other calves are.

You have your own opinions and I have mine.

How do we not have a comparison at the sale barn when I'm sitting in the stands to see what is selling for what. Maybe in your area ranchers don't pay attention to price. Where I sell best calf brings best money no matter the color. There was a time the counterfiet blacks were doing better, didn't last.

ffa dad":3s6a8216 said:

see, our sale barn has this nifty deal where they separate the cattle into 50-lb weight categories after the sale and list two calves in each category.....top total dollar and top dollar per pound. these are then listed on the internet & a little slip is sent to the seller who sold these animals. therefore, we are able to compare to other breeds and sellers. a couple of months ago we sold 7 calves that all fit into three categories & we received slips for all 3 categories they fit in. 2 categories the calf was top total dollar and top price/lb. it's very rare that we sell calves and don't make the list. as an added note.....one of the owners of that sale barn recently bought two herd bulls from us for his commercial cows. i would think he has a very good idea of what the order buyers want since he sees them buy thousands every week.

i will admit that our straight herefords don't make the list as often as our baldies but they also don't take the kind of hit you mentioned (they're usually about $.05/lb behind the baldies (red or black)). i would also never suggest anyone run straight-bred anything unless they were raising seedstock. BUT, you don't get baldies without herefords.

ffa dad":1yrv03ae said:
OK. What kind of cattle do you guys run? Texan....
IIf you only run Herefords or Hereford crosses, then you have no comparison if the calves are bringing the same amount of money at the sale barn as the other calves are.
We run enough Hereford crosses and enough solid colored cattle to make the comparison or else I wouldn't have posted it!

ffa dad":1yrv03ae said:
I experienced the less price in a comparison of my own cattle I felt that I was qualified to put that statement on the board.
Your own experiences are worthwhile to share and add value to the discussion. Your previous post made it seem as if you were speaking for all of the order buyers and all of the feedlots in Texas.

Also, your prior statement about your Hereford cross calves bringing "an average of 27 1/2 cents less a pound then on the other calves that came out of the Simbrah and Beefmaster bulls" seems like a lot of difference to me! Are you sure that you didn't neglect to tell us something else about the calves other than the breed difference? In any case, seems like that would have been a good time for retained ownership, wouldn't it?

Second: If you talk to the feedlot buyer's at the salebarns in Texas, they pay less money for Hereford's because of the Pinkeye problems. The feedlots don't want to have to deal with it. We ran Hereford bulls on one bunch of comm. cows one year and got an average of 27 1/2 cents less a pound then on the other calves that came out of the Simbrah and Beefmaster bulls. Needless to say the next Hereford's that we sold were the two bulls.[/quote]

I don't need to talk to feedlot buyers, I can see that you get your info he said, she said. Its about what a calf brings at the salebarn in real money per lbs. Its about raising the best grade and yield for the least cost to maximize return on capital employed, not color. Its not about color but management, of assests (herd). I think the post said Attention Real Cattlemen.

ffa dad":1lacg5n8 said:
We ran Hereford bulls on one bunch of comm. cows one year and got an average of 27 1/2 cents less a pound then on the other calves that came out of the Simbrah and Beefmaster bulls. Needless to say the next Hereford's that we sold were the two bulls.

If I ever went to a sale and my calves were bringing an average of 27 1/2 cents less per pound less than anything in the salebarn I would PO them and take them to another sale. We don't run any particular color and our calves will bring what everybody else's do. While it's always been common to see inferior animals docked it's getting less and less common in today's market to see a premium paid for any certain color. And IMO there never was much of a premium paid for any certain color. That goes all the way back to the day when Bramer bulls were all the rage. A buyer who's worth his salt will buy quality, not color.

Craig-TX

Craig-TX":1jiht6rr said:
ffa dad":1jiht6rr said:
We ran Hereford bulls on one bunch of comm. cows one year and got an average of 27 1/2 cents less a pound then on the other calves that came out of the Simbrah and Beefmaster bulls. Needless to say the next Hereford's that we sold were the two bulls.

If I ever went to a sale and my calves were bringing an average of 27 1/2 cents less per pound less than anything in the salebarn I would PO them and take them to another sale. We don't run any particular color and our calves will bring what everybody else's do. While it's always been common to see inferior animals docked it's getting less and less common in today's market to see a premium paid for any certain color. And IMO there never was much of a premium paid for any certain color, even back in the day when Bramer bull were all the rage. A buyer who's worth his salt will buy quality, not color.

Craig-TX

Well put

Caustic Burno":33ib3wp6 said:
Craig-TX":33ib3wp6 said:
ffa dad":33ib3wp6 said:

If I ever went to a sale and my calves were bringing an average of 27 1/2 cents less per pound less than anything in the salebarn I would PO them and take them to another sale. We don't run any particular color and our calves will bring what everybody else's do. While it's always been common to see inferior animals docked it's getting less and less common in today's market to see a premium paid for any certain color. And IMO there never was much of a premium paid for any certain color, even back in the day when Bramer bull were all the rage. A buyer who's worth his salt will buy quality, not color.

Craig-TX

Well put

Totally agree

la4angus":3ehe8ulz said:
rgv4":3ehe8ulz said:
[ well I no longer buy from the smaller unknown ranchers because on a couple of experiences that I've had in the last few years.

)

Are you saying that small breeders don't test and gaurantee their cattle but all large outfits do.
IMO The small breeder; if he/she wants to build a good reputation may offer as good or better gaurantees than the large reputation outfits.

Do you think that a few oil wells in the back yard makes a solid cattle breeder. I think not. JMHO.

I am a small breeder of good quality murray grey cattle,bulls being my specialty. I cull ruthlessly and sell only the best of the crop for breeding,the rest I send to the sale barn. I guarantee any animal that I sell for breeding purposes. If a bull does not perform you get another bull, or your money back, no questions asked. I have had people buy a bull that was too young to have a bse done, they have the same guarantee.I tell them that if they insist on buying a bull too young to breed they are to get a vet out for a bse before expecting him to go to work, at their expense, but I will stand behind the bull. Normally when I sell a breeding age bull,he will have had a bse, be wormed and vaccinated ready to go to work. Word of mouth travels like wildfire,and if you expect to sell bulls (by private treaty) you must be honest and stand behind your product.

Texan":1wjtx692 said:
ffa dad":1wjtx692 said:
OK. What kind of cattle do you guys run? Texan....
IIf you only run Herefords or Hereford crosses, then you have no comparison if the calves are bringing the same amount of money at the sale barn as the other calves are.
We run enough Hereford crosses and enough solid colored cattle to make the comparison or else I wouldn't have posted it!

ffa dad":1wjtx692 said:
I experienced the less price in a comparison of my own cattle I felt that I was qualified to put that statement on the board.
Your own experiences are worthwhile to share and add value to the discussion. Your previous post made it seem as if you were speaking for all of the order buyers and all of the feedlots in Texas.

Also, your prior statement about your Hereford cross calves bringing "an average of 27 1/2 cents less a pound then on the other calves that came out of the Simbrah and Beefmaster bulls" seems like a lot of difference to me! Are you sure that you didn't neglect to tell us something else about the calves other than the breed difference? In any case, seems like that would have been a good time for retained ownership, wouldn't it?

I sold a total of 74 calves that week through the salebarn out of two of my pastures, the Hereford bulls and the Beefmaster bulls pastures. All the calves were born from the middle of March through the middle of April. The calves weighed from 600 to 700 pounds. All out of the same type and age momma cows, same type pastures, fed the same mineral and supplements. My pastures are coastal grass, then in the winter I overseed with rye grass and in spring we have clover.

Why keep the calves, they still brought from $1.10 to $1.20 a pound.

Craig-TX":2z5ymfdi said:
ffa dad":2z5ymfdi said:

If I ever went to a sale and my calves were bringing an average of 27 1/2 cents less per pound less than anything in the salebarn I would PO them and take them to another sale. We don't run any particular color and our calves will bring what everybody else's do. While it's always been common to see inferior animals docked it's getting less and less common in today's market to see a premium paid for any certain color. And IMO there never was much of a premium paid for any certain color. That goes all the way back to the day when Bramer bulls were all the rage. A buyer who's worth his salt will buy quality, not color.

Craig-TX

The year we ran the Hereford bulls on one pasture, I sold 278 Spring calves and 135 Fall calves through the salebarn. The rest were sold to individuals for replacements. I don't go and sit at the salebarn. I have known the salebarn owners for years and they don't cheat people. We haul them in, drop them off and continue on with other duties.

Latest posts