Attempting to bale tomorrow

Help Support CattleToday:

tdc_cattle

Reaction score
Bought my first baler this spring and finally get to use it tomorrow. Its a case rb564, same as a NH br7090, I've never baled hay before and all the people that I'd lined up to help are out of town or to busy baling to help. Couldn't figure out how to load the net wrap tonight and finally got frustrated and gave up. Hope tomorrow goes better.

Good luck!
Be careful.
Drove up north about 30 miles today (near Willis) , and there in a field, I see a tractor and baler, in the middle of a big black burned area. Both pieces of machinery completely burned up. It wasn't there last week so I know it happened recently. :( :(

I think I've figured out the net wrap from you tube. I was trying to over complicate it.

I grabbed the fire extinguisher off the combine. Fortunately the combine didn't catch fire cause the thing wasn't charged.

Fortunately I only have 15 acres down cause I wanted to make sure I get it figured out before I got a bunch of hay down.

Any tips?

Glad you got the net wrap figured out. YouTube is handy for all kinds of stuff like that. I'm not familiar with that baler. Did you get a manual with it? Didn't know what all options yours has. A lot of times the manuals will tell you about the different operations with it. Try to get your windrows as wide as your pickup, and that will save you a lot of trouble by not having to zigzag to try to get an even fill. Start out in a lower gear until you're more comfortable with it. Good luck, and hope everything goes smooth for you.

When you start a bale, drive slow until the windrow is started well into the baler, then you can speed up some. Starting too fast will probably get you a lot of experience at clearing plugs in the throat.

What's slow? I read something that said to back your PTO speed off till your core is formed also.

how thick is your hay? With The BR series Just gear down 1 to 2 gears from normal baling speed as you start the feeding . a soon as it starts pulling in the hay go to normal speed . I keep the pto speed constant Try it both ways and see whats comfortable

I had never seen a round baler dump a bale until I bought my 435 in 2003. Taught myself how to bale after a lot of problems. I didn't know you can't bale hay at midnight!

Well it was late afternoon by the time I got everything ready to go. Only got the small field done. I don't know if its the rake or the pick up but it's not feeding like I think it should. The chain that drives the pick up came off twice but I think I got it tighter the second time. Also the slip clutch that turns the rollers isn't reengaging after you dump the bale. I had to cut the bale down to 60"' or it was disengaging before the bale was done. Not sure why, may just be cause it hasn't been used in a year.

Oh ya what psi should I run? I just ran it at 1500. Also is there an operators manual for the bale command? The baler monitor really doesn't say much about the monitor.

tdc_cattle":cbo77flh said:
Bought my first baler this spring and finally get to use it tomorrow. Its a case rb564, same as a NH br7090, I've never baled hay before and all the people that I'd lined up to help are out of town or to busy baling to help. Couldn't figure out how to load the net wrap tonight and finally got frustrated and gave up. Hope tomorrow goes better.
How'd it go?

Yes there is a separate manual for the bale command monitor. It covers all the settings, buttons, adjustments, error's etc. Stop by your local dealer and pick one up. There is also a set of video tapes that go along with that may still be available for the baler and monitor that are really good if you are a visual learner.

shaz":29w4lkkd said:
I had never seen a round baler dump a bale until I bought my 435 in 2003. Taught myself how to bale after a lot of problems. I didn't know you can't bale hay at midnight!

I started baling at 10 last night and finished up by 6 this morning. Which it's so hot here I have to have some humidity or everything shatters.

tdc_cattle":l80kkqs2 said:
Oh ya what psi should I run? I just ran it at 1500. Also is there an operators manual for the bale command? The baler monitor really doesn't say much about the monitor.
I start bales at 18-1900 and crank it up to around 2100 after the core is started. The manual should give guidance for your baler; mine is a Vermeer

Manual says 1300-2000 but to start low the first few. I'll probably turn it up today. I was pretty happy with the bales that it makes.

With the New Holland it is really important to have the windrow good, nice and even. Really helps with feeding into the machine.

Pressure for the bale, I had it set fairly high to get a nice tight bale. In a good windrow they can really roll up the material. When things get a little away from good they are not so kind.

dun":2ptfai4y said:
When you start a bale, drive slow until the windrow is started well into the baler, then you can speed up some. Starting too fast will probably get you a lot of experience at clearing plugs in the throat.

Very good advice for the average round baler but if you have a Kuhn with opti-feed you can start the bales at pto speed and never look back no matter how dry or green. Best one I have ever pulled by far. No, I'm not associated with Kuhn.

Latest posts