aspirin for arthritis

Help Support CattleToday:

vk ranch

Reaction score
I just read that aspirin can help with arthritis in cattle and was wondering the dosage
thank you
dot

vk ranch":1yjrm4cs said:
I just read that aspirin can help with arthritis in cattle and was wondering the dosage
thank you
dot
Aspirin for managing mild to moderate pain in cattle can be purchased in bolus, power or liquid form.
Aspirin can also be used to reduce fever and inflammation.
cattle dosage 6g - 60g
calves 6g
550 lbs 30g
adult cattle 60g

Animal grade aspirin costs less than $9 lb and there are 454 grams in a pound.
45.4g = 90 cents

Keep in mind, dosage is daily. I've broken up the boluses, mixed them with a bowl of cubes & drizzled molasses over it, hidden them inside Twinkies or hot dog buns and I've also used apple & molasses flavored aspirin powder mixed with cubes BUT those were short term uses for pain - wouldn't want to do it every day & I definitely wouldn't want to use a balling gun every day (cow wouldn't like it, either).

I'd avoid using aspirin all together. Not much of it is going to make it past the rumen and do the cow any good. If you really want to improve the level of pain, I would find something different.

Dempster":2zqvlx78 said:
I'd avoid using aspirin all together. Not much of it is going to make it past the rumen and do the cow any good. If you really want to improve the level of pain, I would find something different.
DMSO is an option. I've used it on cows with sprains/tweaks.

TCRanch":uytob0ph said:
Dempster":uytob0ph said:

DMSO has worked great on horses, as well as an IV for horses with laminitis issues. As for topical application (horses, cows etc) just be sure that after application, the area where it has been applied is not exposed to other chemicals as the DMSO acts as a 'transporter' and those chemicals will get into the bloodstream.

(if you handle the DMSO bare-handed, you'll get the sensation of "tasting" garlic)

DMSO is a transporter. We always used it on horses as a carrier with absorbine or other pain relieve agent on our horses. You can mix with most anything to be carried into a specific area.
And, yes, tastes like garlic if touches your skin - like immediately!!!

Workinonit Farm":3romqwzc said:
TCRanch":3romqwzc said:
Dempster":3romqwzc said:

DMSO has worked great on horses, as well as an IV for horses with laminitis issues. As for topical application (horses, cows etc) just be sure that after application, the area where it has been applied is not exposed to other chemicals as the DMSO acts as a 'transporter' and those chemicals will get into the bloodstream.

(if you handle the DMSO bare-handed, you'll get the sensation of "tasting" garlic)
Did not know that, thanks! As far as handling, both times I used it they were in the pasture & I wasn't interested in getting my arse whooped so I used a café tension rod (similar to a shower curtain rod), poked a hole in the rubber end, shoved a paint brush in the hole, gave them cubes to keep them occupied & "painted" the DMSO on their legs.

TCRanch":1dw9gs21 said:
Did not know that, thanks! As far as handling, both times I used it they were in the pasture & I wasn't interested in getting my arse whooped so I used a café tension rod (similar to a shower curtain rod), poked a hole in the rubber end, shoved a paint brush in the hole, gave them cubes to keep them occupied & "painted" the DMSO on their legs.

Amazing the ideas & methods we come up with, in an effort to get them help without getting us hurt! :lol2: As the saying goes; "Necessity is the mother of invention".

As for DMSO, over the years, I handled it on many occasions. When I worked at the breeding farm (Thoroughbred) we used it in IV's on mares that had retained placentas, as that can cause laminitis as well as other issues.